bigal2330

Dash VIN diff from door tag, Marti best?

Hello all. 

I've discovered the VIN on dash(and registration) and the door tag are different from one another. The door tag gives codes that vary widly from what I believe the car originally had as paint and such. I'm of the opinion that the dash is correct and door was replaced way back when. Is a Marti report the only way to know for sure how my car originally was configured?

69 Mach I (i hope lol)

Thanks,

AL

Doesn't the door tag also have the VIN on it? It should. Mine does. If they match then either they belong to the car or both the dash VIN tag and the door were changed from a donor car. Did you check for the VIN's stamped into the top of the fender aprons? The Marti report is pretty reliable for the options for the VIN you give to them. If both VIN tags came from a different car then the Marti will describe that donor car, not that you couldn't make yours match the Marti. After all, your car is titled as the dash VIN.   Dave R.

Years ago, Mustangs were plentiful in junkyards. If your door got a dent or rusted, it was easier and cheaper to get one from the junkyard than it was to fix it. The DMV goes by the dash VIN and the fender aprons are stamped if they haven't been replaced. 

My 70 has matching aprons and dash, but the door and its tag are from a 69.

The best way to know is to get a Marti report, but the reason the door tag VIN dose not match is probably at some point in the cars past the door was replaced & the VIN tag was not swapped from the old door. As long as the registration/title & the dash VIN match you should be good.

Which is more desirable?

ifthe door tag is for a 428cj Mach....I would think about chasing that one a bit.....

likly the dash is correct but you need to pull the dash pad and see and see if there are any signs of tampering. Also you can pull a fender back and look for VIN stamping s near to top of the towers.

as far as how it was equipped, go see Marty 

bob

Does Marti get options, other than the engine, from the info we provide him via the door tag? If no door tag is available can Marti get the option info from old Ford records?

I had a Marti report done when I bought my car out of Tampa (sight unseen). The door tag turned out to be a fake made to match the new paint/interior/diff. Apparently Marti will make a door plate to order. The Marti report showed the original configuration and the options at time of purchase. It was very helpful.

14 hours ago, bigal2330 said:

Thanks guys for the replies.  I'll investigate further.  Gonna get a Marti based on dash VIN.  I'll let yall know if it matches the previous version of the car as I first had it.

AL

Ask him if he has the Lois Emminger report also . It is the ORIGINAL gate release for the car that has the original window sticker info on it, therefore it is accurate.

On 4/24/2017 at 7:03 PM, RPM said:

Does Marti get options, other than the engine, from the info we provide him via the door tag? If no door tag is available can Marti get the option info from old Ford records?

He does the whole report with all the options, build date, DSO, etc. based on the VIN. No door tag needed.

You may be able to see the VIN by looking up in the front fender wells  (It will be reversed).   Depending on where the car was built, (San Jose, Metuchen, etc), they may not be visible.  

Update finally:

I got the Marti report yesterday and it confirmed my car is a Mach I and was the wimbledon white and had the other attributes that it had when we originally bought it in the 80s.  The door must have been damaged and was replaced which led to the mismatched door tag win and info.  Thanks for the help in helping me track down the verification sources.  Glad to know I have what I always thought I had.

AL