Sign in to follow this  
machm1970

Retrosound installed!

I finished the installation of the Retrosound Hermosa today.So far it looks and sounds good. The installation was a major pain due to it's universal design. They supply L shaped brackets which enable you to move it front/back, up/down and side to side. I probably had it in and out 15 times tweaking adjustments. It's tough to find a happy medium where face looks good front to back and having the shafts sticking forward enough to get the knobs on without them interfering with the factory bezel. I chose the knobs that look closest to original (except the back knobs looks like '71-3 but that's the closest they had). I had to relieve the 3 tabs on the back knobs a little so they wouldn't contact the chrome trim on the factory bezel. The Bluetooth works pretty well, an occasional crackle through the speakers, not sure if it's the radio or my phone. I ran an audio plug under and up into my console so I can plug in my phone or an mp3 player

All and all I'm happy now that it's in, if I had to do it over again I would probably have my original radio sent out to have updated guts installed, it's a little more money, but alot less hassle with installation. I also installed a LED 1895 bulb in the climate control while I had everything apart, much brighter.

post-42483-0-94952600-1485382659.jpg

post-42483-0-44904200-1485382750.jpg

That's cool, I need to do something like this eventually.  The lower knob looks like it might be too big... did they not have one that would work better with the 69 bezel?  Do the knobs do anything other than power and volume?

david

I dont know about this model but the knobs control multiple functions--search for stations, there are different sound options (bass, Rock, etc.) It really controls everything. There is an entire menu function built into the two knobs.

I love mine and didnt have as much trouble with the install although I admit it is 'fiddly'.

I have gone the route of having 'modern guts' put in my original radio on another car and the cost to happiness ratio is VERY low. Sound quality is not great and the goofiness of the functionality is not worth it. I think you will be happy with the Retro Sound.

You will be happy with the Retrosound, I know I am.

Retrosound has a set of knobs on their website that has a textured center but it is chrome, not black. The black ones they have are smooth in the center. I got the chrome ones and painted the center and the ring black. They look stock to me.

20170131_073353.jpg

It is amazing how dirty things look when close up in a picture.

On 1/26/2017 at 6:13 AM, moodster said:

That's cool, I need to do something like this eventually.  The lower knob looks like it might be too big... did they not have one that would work better with the 69 bezel?  Do the knobs do anything other than power and volume?

im a dealer for custom autosound if you need anything from them.