demon69

Lowered Suspension

Hi

I have a 69 Mach1 that was lowered before I bought it.  It is fairly low, I would estimate at least 2" may be more so the travel is reduced particularly at the front.  It only has 1/2" travel to the bump stop on the left hand side and 1" travel on the RHS.  The suspension is stock other than the lowered springs (not sure what brand) and Koni Classic shocks.

I would appreciate advice on how I can increase the travel other than raising the vehicle.  I was thinking of reducing the size of the bump stops but that is a crude option particularly as the bump stops are designed to be progressive.  Another option mentioned was to cut a section out of the inner shock tower support and weld it back together, the original bump stop can then be retained.  But there is quite a bit of work in order to do this.

I expect other members will have experienced this problem and come up with a good solution.

Thanks
Peter

Hi demon69,

Rod Hadfield up at 'Hot Rod Museum' in Chewton near Castlemaine VIC. sells Stubtech 2" drop axles to suit the Mustang.

They are a bit pricey but good quality.

Best of both worlds, lowered suspension and retain your full spring travel.

Without seeing pics 1/2-1" clearance is is probably way too low for comfort even by my standards. I have 2" up front after I raised the bump stop on the spring cover. I'm at work and can"t post pics, but will post them later. 

SM69Mach....yes, it is bottoming out on the bump stops.  Your car sits low, do you have any problem with it bottoming out?  What size wheels/tires do you have, what mods have been done to the suspension to lower it?

DocWork....thanks for the info, I will look into this.

RPM....thanks, look forward to seeing the pics, like to see the side on view of the car as well.

I have attached a pic of my Mach1 so you can see how it sits.  It has 235/55 R 16 on the rear and 215/55 R 16 on the front.

post-45279-0-36847600-1484691327.jpg

Here is my beater.

I have drop coils with a bit cut off of them, stock control arms and front tires are 255/40/17's.

I don't bottom out on my bump stops because I don't have any installed LOL, but I don't ever feel as tho the front end bottoms out...However the back end is another story and it has bump stops

post-13203-0-64048700-1484692936.jpg

On a side note, its low enough in the front that I have had the sway bar smack the frame, so I added some longer end links to help get it up a bit and cured that problem

Really? I'm just a city boy, but I'd think longer links would put the sway bar closer to the frame and shorter links would give you more room. At least it did on my 69.

I've only got a couple of usable pics of the bump stop and I didn't take any of the process. Your side profile looks pretty close to mine. For reference my front rocker is 8-1/2" to the floor and the rear rocker is 9". The closest I've got to a side view are these 3/4 views.

post-5441-0-96807000-1484702743.jpg

post-5441-0-06791400-1484702927.jpg

I just trimmed the bottom of the shield up to where I'd think would be the right ride height and giving it 2" of up travel, or jounce. I later made a spacer to lower it a bit.

post-5441-0-50057600-1484703220.jpg

post-5441-0-63267900-1484704339.jpg

I like this bump stop bracket as it allows access to the coil over shock. It appears in the pic that the lower edge of the rubber is a bit lower than the lowest bracket to inner fender, and higher than mine.

post-5441-0-49688900-1484703799.jpg

What i would be worried about is the lower control arm its self hitting the frame sitting that low ,have you guys tried the travel with the springs and coils out to see how close the lower arm is to the frame before it hits the stops with the stops raised or not there 

What i would be worried about is the lower control arm its self hitting the frame sitting that low ,have you guys tried the travel with the springs and coils out to see how close the lower arm is to the frame before it hits the stops with the stops raised or not there

I too was concerned about the LCA hitting the frame. I ran the suspension thru the bounce and jounce without the springs. My recollection is there is at least 3/16" clearance from the top of the arm to the lower frame. I messaged the lower outter lip before checking the clearance.

post-5441-0-27018000-1484713890.jpg

Thanks all for the feedback...

SM69Mach....yes, it is bottoming out on the bump stops.  Your car sits low, do you have any problem with it bottoming out?  What size wheels/tires do you have, what mods have been done to the suspension to lower it?

RPM....your spring cover looks completely different to the stock cover, do you know of anyone selling shortened spring covers or brackets?  When you ran the suspension thru the bounce and jounce without the springs, what was the extent of travel, ie, what physically limited the travel in either direction.

General comment....If you remove the bump stops per MikeStang or shorten the bump stops, is there any chance the ball joints will bind when the suspension is run thru the bounce and jounce.

My shock covers were stock. I cut an angle starting at the lower edge where it mounts to the inner fender, and angled up to the outer edge above the rubber bump stop. The last pic in post #9 is not my car. It's an internet pic of a tubular after market unit.

The jounce limit is when the lca hits the lower frame edge. The bounce is limited by the shock travel.

Can't remember the exact number of inches. Probably three to four inches. I set the spindle at the ride height I wanted, then cut the bump stop mount to allow two inches of travel.

Here is my beater.

I have drop coils with a bit cut off of them, stock control arms and front tires are 255/40/17's.

I don't bottom out on my bump stops because I don't have any installed LOL, but I don't ever feel as tho the front end bottoms out...However the back end is another story and it has bump stops

Did you really get 255/40/17 to fit??  rubbing issues??  rolled??

I have Reverse Eye Springs on mine right now.

I have now broken 3 sets of Caltrac Front plates so I called them yesterday and had them ship me a set of regular front plates and I also ordered a set of 4.5 leaf Mid Eye springs to get the car back up a bit and to be able to use the normal Caltrac front plates.

Ideally it will get me up 1" or so in the back which should help with my rear axle hitting the bump stops on big bumps and make the car have a slight Rake.

Ill post some pics and measurements once I get it all installed.