Thinking that very few left the showroom with them I would have to say it had more look than function.

Unless you want to call getting it torn off from parking lot curbs a function.

There was(is) a learning curve to having one...

I for one found that it made my car much more stable at high speeds(85-100+ mph). Without it , my front end seemed to "float" and afterwards it felt like the spoiler sucked the front end down a little. My question has alway been able the rear spoiler and if that had any effect on high speed cruising.

For most of the time I have had my car it was a death trap over 100MPH

Now that i have most of that sorted I dont care to go 100+ on the street..

Like it or not you do get older...

Never did think the rear spoiler did much if anything.

Front spoiler my have helped a little with some ground affects.

Lowering the car was the best thing i remember doing..

For what it's worth, that blue Mickey Thompson car in my avitar broke many speed records w/o a chin spoiler.

I don't think a chin spoiler will affect speed.....it could affect aerodynamics though....which in my case, I think it did. Like I said , handling at higher speeds was noticeably better.

I don't think a chin spoiler will affect speed.....

I guess I should've expounded on my point, which was Mustangs without chin spoilers can be made to handle at speed. The car was run at Bonneville well above 150 mph, where they tend to swap ends rather easily with rear tire spin on the salt. If the front gets light and floats I'd imagine it would be a handful also. Now this car surely didn't have a stock suspension, but many of our Mustangs don't either. I'm pretty sure I'll be adding a chin spoiler at some point. I also guess the tough part is having a car that has a good ride around town but stays put at speed. 

In stock form the front spoiler is so high in the air I can't see it doing much.

Also the original spoiler is so small that even on a lowered car I don't see it doing much.

The trans am cars were very low and they ran an aluminum one that was much larger and at a more radical angle

Bob

In stock form the front spoiler is so high in the air I can't see it doing much.

Also the original spoiler is so small that even on a lowered car I don't see it doing much.

The trans am cars were very low and they ran an aluminum one that was much larger and at a more radical angle

I added one to my convertable because I love the look of it. But I added one of the replacement ones that are a flexible molded plastic and it has been very durable so far. The issue with me is that it rubs a little loading the car on a trailer but it just flexes a little and hasn't been a problem.

Bob

I just finished lowering mine 2 inches along with all new front suspension.  Patched the fenders and new battery apron to boot.  The engine is the original 302 with a 4 barrel added and what sounds to be small cam.  I have had it almost 4 years and it's never ran right.  Well, I think it's now running right, but it's not been out of the garage to verify.

In short, for the time being I don't expect to be traveling at high speeds.  

Thanks for all the input.  For now I will leave it off hang it in the garage someplace.  If I ever get to speeds where it is needed I will worry about it then.

Nice man, enjoy the 2 inch drop, Mines a 1 of 23 car so i had to go all OEM lol but im happy with it, still not finished though, but suspension is done with all orignal parts or original reproductions by ford. engine is all redone, just put the AC and PS back on the engine block and resealed the slave cylinder. If you decide to get rid of the chin spoiler shoot me a message. Im not shy from working with beat up pieces! 

The front and rear spoilers must have had some good to them, or Ford wouldn't have put them on the Boss 302 cars that ran in the Trans Am races.  Granted, the chin spoilers are different from what was put as an option for the production cars, but the rear spoilers look the same.  The angle on the race car rear spoilers is tilted down on the front side a lot more than what is on the production cars though.  

parnelli-jonesrsquos-1970-ford-mustang-b

That is one bad ass Mustang!

That's the Man, Parnelli Jones.  He was on the Ford Race Team that won Trans Am for Ford in 1970.  I've heard he said some thing like "If you're in control, your not going fast enough!"

That's the Man, Parnelli Jones.  He was on the Ford Race Team that won Trans Am for Ford in 1970.  I've heard he said some thing like "If you're in control, your not going fast enough!"

One of my favorite t-shirts, I've had it forever. Although Jones is credited, I think the actual quote is from Mario Andretti (sometimes you see it attributed to Dale Earhardt) but who cares?

post-1146-0-01250400-1470791662.jpg

One of my favorite t-shirts, I've had it forever. Although Jones is credited, I think the actual quote is from Mario Andretti (sometimes you see it attributed to Dale Earhardt) but who cares?

That is an awesome shirt my friend! 

Many, Many years ago I was helping a friend sort out his drag race car.

This was back when they started a Pro Street class where ALL cars had

to be licensed, insured and completely streetable.

This car (1966 Chevelle) had a 572 Cu In Big Block with 2 stages of N2O.

Upon first tests, the car would become completely undriveable over 145 MPH.

The driver was Very experienced, having driven 200 MPH cars, but this one

scared the crap out of him.

The car had a lot of open space under the front bumper, and the shape of

the bumper seemed to suggest that it would "funnel" air underneath the car,

creating lift.

Any air pressure that accumulates underneath the car, subtracts from any

downforce pressure created on the upper surfaces of the body.

We designed and installed a front spoiler that had 3" of ground clearance

at standing ride height (rules mandated minimum height) and

directed air around the front of the car.

On the next outing, the car ran 8.07 sec. elapsed time at 172 MPH

(very respectful performance for a 3600 Lb. car at the time) with no

driveability issues.

The front chin spoiler will help if people are exceeding 100 MPH, but

for most of us, it's only use is the visual appeal...