Sign in to follow this  
My Mach 1

Aftermarket Guages in the Factory Non Tach Dash

Hey All,

I'm wanting to replace my factory Guages in my 69 Mach 1 with some after market Guages. Just wondering what are you guys/gals finding out there that fits nicely without cutting up the back of the cluster?

Also I notice that the dash lights are quite dim even with the HL switch dialed right up. Could that be a worn printed circuit board that needs to be replaced or possibly the Voltage Limiter?

Thanks!

Not sure who's thumbnails these are?

My opinion is an for aftermarket gauges a new instrument panel would be the way to go.  A really nice autometer set is made by JME.  They are expensive. The wood-grain set with 6 gauges is pretty awesome.  http://jmeenterprises.com/69dash.shtml   For the dash lights on your factory panel, I removed the blue diffusers and installed green LED's from mustang project.  they are bright and look great.    

I went with New Vintage gauges. They look great but the way they mount sucks!!! It was very difficult to get them in and lined up straight. If I had it to do over again,  would go with Dakota digital gauges. They make a real nice looking analog gauge and it is easier to mount.

Hey All,

I'm wanting to replace my factory Guages in my 69 Mach 1 with some after market Guages. Just wondering what are you guys/gals finding out there that fits nicely without cutting up the back of the cluster?

Also I notice that the dash lights are quite dim even with the HL switch dialed right up. Could that be a worn printed circuit board that needs to be replaced or possibly the Voltage Limiter?

Thanks!

Not sure who's thumbnails these are?

When I pulled my dash cluster out to refurb the bezels, I replaced the printed circuit (dry-rot) and also replaced all the diffusers with repros and the incandescent bulbs with LED's. I ordered my bulbs through NPD but believe they came from this vendor:

http://www.hipoparts.com/1965-73-ford-mustang-led-gauge-light-conversion-kit/

This pic was taken in the garage at night with a single incandescent bulb overhead providing the lighting in the garage itself.

IMG_0574_500x.jpg

I went with New Vintage gauges. They look great but the way they mount sucks!!! It was very difficult to get them in and lined up straight. If I had it to do over again,  would go with Dakota digital gauges. They make a real nice looking analog gauge and it is easier to mount.

I also went with New Vintage and agree they are a pain to mount. They look good but I find them hard to read due to reflection on the glass.

If I was starting again I would be looking at one of the 6 gauge bezels (MTF, Year one , JME) and filling it with Autometer or similar

if you want to try a simple, cheap fix, I used tin foil as  a reflector. I wanted to do something about this in my car 20 years ago before all these options were available.  So I lined the white surface with tin foil to act as a better reflector. It actually works quite well and keeps everything original. You have nothing to lose by trying it, but it does not have uniform brightness.  Some spots close to the lamp are brighter.  I guess if I cared enough I could remove some of the foil by the bright spots. 

Now the options available might make even me change.  But this is simple, quick, and cheap. I thought I had pictures of what it actually looks like, but I do not. 

post-13130-0-99189200-1465868556.jpg

post-13130-0-39498800-1465868572.jpg

I haven't installed the dash pad yet. I did set the dash pad in when I received it a few months back but failed to take pics. It seemed to fit fine.

post-5441-0-48039900-1465879316.jpg

post-5441-0-28673400-1465879474.jpg

Nice job RPM - and some great ideas from everyone else.I didn't want to spend a whole lot and the stuff from JME was definitely out of my price range. I wanted to do something different other than mounting a typical gauge set in the ashtray area of my Mach.