Sign in to follow this  
Fantastic

Rear end debate

I have a 9 inch 28 spline axle. It is not posi, but it is in like new condition. My friend has a 31 spline posi for sale for about $50. I figure getting that and redoing everything would put me into if for a few hundred. Alternately, I can pay about $450 and drop in a Youkon Gear pot and have the posi. Or, I can just leave it and be happy with what I have... Decisions decisions...

I have a 9 inch 28 spline axle. It is not posi, but it is in like new condition. My friend has a 31 spline posi for sale for about $50. I figure getting that and redoing everything would put me into if for a few hundred. Alternately, I can pay about $450 and drop in a Youkon Gear pot and have the posi. Or, I can just leave it and be happy with what I have... Decisions decisions...

I would buy your friends positive 9" differential for $50 whether I needed it or not.

Dave 

For that price I would buy the posi.  New clutches and springs are inexpensive for them to rebuild it.  Later, when you can, rebuild your rear axle and install it.  Get a pair of 31 spline axles from someone like Moser Engineering.  Worse case if you don't use it is you can easily sell it for more than what you paid.