Sign in to follow this  
rchappelear

door closes really hard

so i just got my car back from the painters and it has a new lock mech, rubbers seals, hinges, and striker.  problem i have is you have to really slam it to get the doors to close.  I mean really slam it like your mad.  I dont think this is right, some people have said cause its new rubbers, but i am starting to disagree. 

my only though it the latching mech are not the best reproductions and this is a reason for having to slam the door shut

the rear edge of yoir door should be 3/16" from the quarter psanel if your sheet metal is orig . . if it is and it has resistsance befire it gets to the latch, the rubber is the prob as others mentiined . . if the latches simply do not catch they are cheap chinese junk.

I agree it is the door gaskets ,they are much firmer than the originals .Went throught the same thing after restoring a 67 coupe for my cousin .After a couple of weeks the doors gaskets loosened up a bit .

they have been on the car for a few months now (gaskets)  they are the scott drake or carpetner products. they don't seem to be hard

they have been on the car for a few months now (gaskets)  they are the scott drake or carpetner products. they don't seem to be hard

Hello

Does the glass seem to be hitting on the roof weather strip before the rest hits. I had this problem when fitting my doors before painting.  

May not be your case tho.

Dave

Make certain the door weather strips are installed correctly. I have one, its on the drivers door, the lower front corner is not positioned correctly and causes excessive needed force to close the door. It is slightly too short and that is why that corner won't stay in position. When I position it correctly the door closes fine. I need to replace it, just haven't got around to it.

Have you repositioned the strikers to see if there will be any change?

My trunk was hard to close with the new weather strip. It took months to loosen up and was very gradual.

for photos you can do the following.

1. type the following and include the brackets

2. go down 1 line and post the url to the photo.

3. type /img at the end of the url and add brackets to both sides like the one in the first line . . you need to include the forward slash.

4. now delete the space between the and the url.

5. hit send.

Slip%20yoke%20CV5%20headsmall.jpg

Hi there,

Any difference whether the windows are up or down?

I had s similar issue and it was in fact due to window weatherstrip (the one that slides along the rear edge) hitting the quarter window when window was up. Solving it was a matter of adjusting window to door angle.

G

Hi there,

Any difference whether the windows are up or down?

I had s similar issue and it was in fact due to window weatherstrip (the one that slides along the rear edge) hitting the quarter window when window was up. Solving it was a matter of adjusting window to door angle.

G

no i have not cranked down the windows and tried to close the windows

i will try that tonight

ryan

for photos you can do the following.

1. type the following and include the brackets

2. go down 1 line and post the url to the photo.

3. type /img at the end of the url and add brackets to both sides like the one in the first line . . you need to include the forward slash.

4. now delete the space between the and the url.

5. hit send.

Slip%20yoke%20CV5%20headsmall.jpg

yeah thats not complicated ... just need our paper clips

It could also not be aligned correctly. Measure the distance between the bottom rear corner of the door to the garage floor. Then open the door by 1 inch, and repeat the measurement to the floor. This will show if the door has to move up in the latching process. If the door has to move up to align with the latch during closing, that can make it a lot more difficult.

So i tried the windows down and is was the same

i measured the door closed from the ground, measured when it was opened.  Both measurement were the same. 

I figured maybe i could try to move the striker plate out, and that really helped, still a hard to close.  Not at much of a slam anymore though.  Dang body shop didn't do a good job on this alignment.  Now the paint under the old location chipped off due to the force against the striker plate, he better corrected this for the money i dished out!!!