Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

Wheel Spacers

Okay Gents I picked up some new to me wheels and it seems I need a 1/2" wheel spacer to push the front wheels out enough to clear the Tie rod ends and upper Control arm.

I installed a stack of washers at 1/2" just to be sure and 1/2" will more than take care of it SO that being said what brand is everyone using and who did you order from.

I don't want to run the swiss cheese spacers and would prefer the wheel adapters with the hubcentric portion in the middle that bolts to the hub and has its own studs pressed in that I can then bolt the wheels to.

Also the rims are a little boogered up in the lug nut area and I don't know if its takes a standard tapered seat or the bulge round seat.

There is no metal insert and the rims are all aluminum.... I have considered reaming the holes to fit the mag style lug nuts but really don't want to mess with that because I hate the mag nuts but they do provide the best fit.

Oh the rims are 18x10" in the rear and have 305/35/18s which actually fit under the car but rub on big bumps and are worn out so im swapping the 275/40/18 that are on the front over to the rear and buying 2 new front tires.

Any suggestions on Front tire size.... I'm thinking 235/40/18s which according to the size calculator is about 1.2" shorter than the 275/40/18s...Thoughts

hello;

all steel wheels use an acorn/tapered nut . . most aftermarket aluminum rims use shouldered nuts.

i have never seen a 1/2" spacer with studs . . this is likely because they are not thick enough to use studs in.

try these guys for hub centric

http://www.customadeonly.com/6950/1964-Ford-Mustang-Hubcentric-Wheel-Spacers-50mm-(2-Inch).html

Yes I am aware Jagbucket that they are not the right offset that is why I want to run spacers / Adapters like all the millions of other people do lol... I also know that it puts more pressure on the wheel studs, I have read all of the reasons why NOT to use the spacers but I also know a lot of guys on here run them with no concerns.

Barnett I have found a few sets that are 1/2" on ebay and such, I just wondered if anyone had used any particular brand or had good / bad luck with one brand or another.

I have found some solid 1/2" spacers with no lugs and you just install longer wheel studs from ARP which will be a much higher strength bolt than the standard stud is which should compensate the 1/2" spacers additional leverage forces on the studs I would think.

I cant tell you how many cars I have seen come through the shops I have worked at in the past with 2" spacers on the big old 22 inch wheels and these guys never have issues, so i cant see why I would have any major problems with a 1/2" spacer.

I have 245/25/17 up front which should be close to the height. Like rwcstang said, it probably wont hurt to roll the fender lips on the front too. I have ran a 1in spacer for a few years with my wheels with no issues.

Ended up with a 255/40/18 which should be fine on front because I had 255/35/20 with no rubbing anywhere so we shall see...Also went ahead and ordered some 1" adapters so we will see what works.

I don't plan on ever road racing it so I'm not overly worried about it.

I'm not a big corner carver kinda guy lol just like that slung low look hehe

http://stores.ebay.com/fastwheelaccessories/

Yes I bought hubcentric adapters

This is the guy I bought my stuff from.

I asked a question about shipping right after I placed my order and in 10 min the guy emailed me back.

Ill let you know if they are any good when I get them in, or if for some reason 1" is too much I will sale mine to you lol.

You need to get longer studs if the spacers don't have their own studs. Two types are available, the kind that slip over your studs and the type that bolt to the axle/hub and then the wheel bolts to the spacer.

Bob

Bueing my adapters had studs built in so I was good to go.

Post pics in a second.

I get some SLIGHT rubbing on big bumps in the rear with the 275/40/18s, but the front is fine with a 255/40/18 but the rim width is 9" and the 255/40 just aint quite wide enough for my taste bucause the wheel lip seems to protrude a little more than I like.