Sign in to follow this  
InitialBoss

New Guy Intro but had some questions

Hi Everybody!

Call it a mid-life crisis, call it just wanting to hear the roar of a nice V8 and loving to open the garage and seeing a beautiful fastback or a work in progress, but I now want to own what I feel is one of the best looking years of Mustangs. My best friend in high school had a '69 302 coupe and I remember just enjoying the cruises we would do in that car.

So here I am now, in my thirties learning how to wrench on cars in general but longing to have a '69 fastback in my garage. I've been lurking in these forums and felt now is the time to introduce myself and to throw out ideas to the fine folks on this forum. I don't know when I can buy my dream car, fully restored or not, but I figure now is the time to get some parts for it in anticipation. Is this a dumb idea? I figure if I can't buy the car yet, at least I can buy the parts to get it setup for performance if I find the right car. My wife wants me to wait on buying one, thus the reasoning that I can buy the EFI, maybe exhaust, headers, etc., now while I wait to buy the project.

Ok, so back to me (ha ha), I've never learned nor was taught how to fix or work on older cars and trucks and until I inherited my dad's '78 Chevy C10 (no flames, please). Growing up with a dad who didn't like the need for HP or V8s, and whose dad didn't learn about wrenching either, didn't help me get the understanding of these cars and trucks.

My dad was a person who ordered a MPG friendly inline 6 for his truck which of course made me now crave the roar and muscle of a V8. So now it's my turn to get a '69 Mustang with a V8 or swap in a V8. It's also my turn to teach my two kids how to fix and work on cars and trucks when they are younger so they can enjoy these classics.

I will eventually turn this thread into a build thread when I get my Sportroof, but for now, I wanted to say "hi" and "thank you" for all your information on each of your threads! I've been reading a lot and have been trying to memorize info for when I get to wrench on my 'stang. I hope to get one soon but as you all know life sometimes has other ideas. :lol:

Welcome to the friendliest forum on earth! But if you've been lurking you already know that. I wouldn't buy anything until I found a car. You can't guess what it'll need until you have your car. You might buy a completed car or a shell. Good luck finding a nice Mustang. Hmm... That sounds sarcastic but it's not.

Since we have folks here from around the world, if you put at the very least an area of a state on your profile, forum members near you can use this information is for personal reasons, such as special events and car shows, inline get-together's, searching for a good mechanic or shop, and so on. It's especially helpful when buying or selling parts in the "Buy, Sell, and Trade" forums.

So... the question begs, where do you call home?

Bob

You sound like me only a few changes. I'm a decade in front of you and I had the 69 Sportsroof 302 as my first car.

My dad knew next to nothing about cars. It may have been worse than nothing because what he did know was enough to mess things up. I did have an uncle who was an awesome mechanic (Leased diesel equipment) but he was into GM cars. He had a 67 Chevelle with a TPI 350. I learned a little from him before he passed away.

I've been working on that car for a while now and learning as I go. I know I take a lot longer to get it done than I should because of inexperience.

Recommendations:

1. Find a solid and drivable car, pay extra up front if necessary

2. Do the work in increments where you can get back to drivable in a reasonable amount of time.

3. Avoid cars that are taken apart like the plague. Since you don't get to see how it goes together and have not done it before you might end up screwed and have to hire someone to fix it.

Recommendations:

1. Find a solid and drivable car, pay extra up front if necessary

2. Do the work in increments where you can get back to drivable in a reasonable amount of time.

3. Avoid cars that are taken apart like the plague. Since you don't get to see how it goes together and have not done it before you might end up screwed and have to hire someone to fix it.

Invaluable advice from Ed! This pic of my car in 1999 seemed like a good idea at the time. Hopefully it'll be back on road this year.

IMG_20131203_175056_zps5353f279.jpg

Bob

Welcome to the Group.

Don't buy anything now or you may have to end up selling it later on.

If you scout around you can find cars that were started and sometimes have a lot of good aftermarket parts on them or in boxes waiting to go on them.

My advice is to either buy one that's a decent driver if you can afford it and if not buy the best restorable car your wallett can afford because the better car you start with the easier it will be to complete...If not you will spend loads of time doing or paying someone to do sheet metal work.

Also if buying a painted ready to drive car bring a Magnet so you can guage how much filler is actually in the car...Dont let a fancy paint job or a big bad sounding engine sway your decision one way or another, inspect the car inside and out, pour water down the cowl to check for leaks etc...

Most of us here could give you a laundry list of things to check for and probably tell you what it would cost to do the work or how long it would take.

Its sucks you waited so long to learn to turn a wrench but hey better late than never, and its great that your getting your kids involved.

Both of my children would get regular rides in the back car seat of my 77TA when they were fussy and wouldn't go to sleep, but the rumble of the exhaust and low mellow wine of an A1000 fuel pump would put em out every time.

Now sadly my Son AND daughter are speed freaks.

My son helped me put my motor back in at 2am Last weekend LOL...

He's 9 yo and already knows all the basic hand tools and knows how to use them lol...makes it so much easier for me since I can just tell him what I need and never have to get out from under the car lol.

Oh did I mention he can field strip and Re-Assemble a 1911 and a Glock :P..... Teach your kids everything you know and push them to learn more.

Welcome to the Group.

Don't buy anything now or you may have to end up selling it later on.

If you scout around you can find cars that were started and sometimes have a lot of good aftermarket parts on them or in boxes waiting to go on them.

My advice is to either buy one that's a decent driver if you can afford it and if not buy the best restorable car your wallett can afford because the better car you start with the easier it will be to complete...If not you will spend loads of time doing or paying someone to do sheet metal work.

Also if buying a painted ready to drive car bring a Magnet so you can guage how much filler is actually in the car...Dont let a fancy paint job or a big bad sounding engine sway your decision one way or another, inspect the car inside and out, pour water down the cowl to check for leaks etc...

Most of us here could give you a laundry list of things to check for and probably tell you what it would cost to do the work or how long it would take.

Its sucks you waited so long to learn to turn a wrench but hey better late than never, and its great that your getting your kids involved.

Both of my children would get regular rides in the back car seat of my 77TA when they were fussy and wouldn't go to sleep, but the rumble of the exhaust and low mellow wine of an A1000 fuel pump would put em out every time.

Now sadly my Son AND daughter are speed freaks.

My son helped me put my motor back in at 2am Last weekend LOL...

He's 9 yo and already knows all the basic hand tools and knows how to use them lol...makes it so much easier for me since I can just tell him what I need and never have to get out from under the car lol.

Oh did I mention he can field strip and Re-Assemble a 1911 and a Glock :P..... Teach your kids everything you know and push them to learn more.

MikeStang - Awesome pic of your son! I'm thinking of picking up a Springfield XD9 or .40 if I can find a good deal. I plan on teaching my kids a lot that my dad never knew or taught me. I want them to realize the fun these old trucks and cars can provide. I love the smell of gas from my '78 C10 when I open the garage and I love hearing my daughter say, "vroom vroom" when I ask her how the truck sounds when I start it.

RPM - I hope you get the car on it's feet soon! Do you have a build thread or a resto thread on this board? Nevermind, see the link in your sig. Sorry typing with tired eyes. Ha ha.

I can't thank you all enough for all your info, for those who replied. I guess I'm getting tired of waiting but I know I need to wait to find a good deal/car. I don't want to spend thousands to fix rust and filler. The only thing that sucks about living in CA is that everybody selling their "project" car thinks it's worth hundreds more since it's a CA car. It still has rust but since it has CA tags, it's more valuable?

I do have a buddy who works at my same company,who used to own a few dozen Mustangs, but finding a good local 'stang and finding a weekend when we are both free to check it out is almost an impossibility. Ha ha!

In the meantime, I'll keep looking for my future Fastback. Hopefully, I find her sooner than later, though my wife would prefer later. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Edited by InitialBoss

Welcome. I was lucky I had an older brother who loved big block Pontiac's, mostly GTO's & Firebird's. He got me hooked on cars plus I had a cousin who was a good (self taught) mechanic.

100_0534_zps101cd4d6.jpg

Well no luck just yet. I had to wait on a car purchase since wifey got a newish one. Our civic wasn't making life easy with two kids and their car seats. Had to get one with more room. I found a '73 fastback but my heart still lies with the '69 style bodies. I'm still looking but probably won't be able to get one until we sell this house, but a new one with more yard and garage space, and no hoa.

Welcome and good luck. Try to be patient and look for something somewhat desirable. Big block fastback, Mach 1, etc., or if a 1970 fastback or Mach 1, at least with a 4 barrel Cleveland. I can see where your HOA would frown on a car restoration. I friend of mine is in that situation. I don't have an HOA but still get nervous when painting anything other than a small parts.

Not sure how I missed this thread over the summer but yeah, welcome and good luck. I will echo that you should absolutely try to buy the best car you can afford, you will be better off long term. I wanted a '69 mustang since I was 16, it took me another 16 years to make it happen but was worth it and that was the best advice I got. My Dad taught me a lot of things but cars and especially V8's were not his strong point. I wanted a car that I could use right away and was just needy enough for me to learn on, I ended up getting a very low interest loan thru JJ Best, they were great. My car was a Cal car now residing in Missouri. They even sent someone to inspect it to make sure it was worth the loan amount. Sadly the car got totaled 4 years later by a fast and furious punk and I have been restoring it ever since (10 years now). If I hadn't enjoyed it first and known how much pleasure it would give me I'm not sure I could see it through.

I also agree it's best to hold off on buying parts because you just don't know what you will really need. My suggestion would be to go out and buy an AMT/Ertl or Revell model, you can plan out all the details in a virtual build, get excited about it and even build with the kids.

?...My suggestion would be to go out and buy an AMT/Ertl or Revell model, you can plan out all the details in a virtual build, get excited about it and even build with the kids.

Ha, that's a good idea actually. Helps you see the overview of how it all works and looks like and is fun to do. Sure wish someone made a 69 Coupe model :-)

Stephen

Ha, that's a good idea actually. Helps you see the overview of how it all works and looks like and is fun to do. Sure wish someone made a 69 Coupe model :-)

Stephen

It was years ago but we had a thread with a link to a guy that makes custom resin coupe bodies that work with the standard sportsroof model kit.

Edit: OK so it was actually ten years ago but I found it on my first search! Pricey but very good quality. They actually call it a Grande kit so not sure if the interior piece is detailed that way or not.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=87

Edited by Pakrat

Those models are pretty cool, Pakrat. Thanks!

I had bought one resin ill try to find it, also did a 1/18 diecast model, I had to cut up 3 diecast cars to get the look. I used a 69 Shelby vert (rear body), 70 cougar (Roof) 69 mustang (front end) were used. Also, if a company called Playart made our model coupe its in 1:64. BUT they only made these in the late 70's-80s this was the only diecast company that made these models. Oh how I wish hotwheels or some company out there made coupe models in 1:18 and 1:64...one day..one day.. lol

Also greenlight made a coupe diecast but it was only a 70 model.

anyways GL with your find! be sure to post that beauty here so we can all see it! :D

I must be the exact opposite of most here ,i see a part that i need or maybe not need and snag it .Sooner or later i will need it on one of my projects .I have learned if the price is right get it now ,you may not find it again at that price . I used to have a large stash of parts for 65 -70 ,it's almost gone now ...Hmm...got to start hitting the swap meets again.

Model cars are a lot of fun ,i have a fairly good size collection .i could have probably built a car for what i paid for them .Problem is you can't get in them and drive them ,but i keep collecting them any way.

It was years ago but we had a thread with a link to a guy that makes custom resin coupe bodies that work with the standard sportsroof model kit.

Edit: OK so it was actually ten years ago but I found it on my first search! Pricey but very good quality. They actually call it a Grande kit so not sure if the interior piece is detailed that way or not.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=87

Dang, somehow I missed this response. I was bidding on a revell coupe / vert kit but too much for me to justify when it went past $90 :-/

Will have to see if these are still available.

Stephen