Sign in to follow this  
MustangRanch

Any advice on a solid/reliable distributor

I always order dist, alt, starters from orielly...they have lifetime replacements and usually have them close enough to get from a store. I have a main store up the street so usually have them in stock...

Other than that the pertronix billet dist are very nice pieces...

whatever distributor you go with, make sure it is curved correctly or you are wasting your money.

You won't find much better than a stock distributor with a pertronix upgrade, tuned to the boss 302 specs.

I had an Accel dual point that was good when it was new. I have now gone with a Pertronix Flame Thrower Dist./& Coil. The $$ is right and I think its the best dist/coil set-up on the market. I got mine from Summitt. I think you can choose dist cap colors. Dark red or Black. I also went with Ford Racing wires. Looks good and works great!

Steve.

I ended up going with the MSD 8578 which requires the 6AL ignition box 6425, its a bit pricey but my buddies were recommending MSD, plus I wanted the rev-limiter since I was going all HP parts. Personal choice I guess.

Thanks all, the 12V coil does seem like a nice upgrade, not worried about anything concourse, this is a daily driver, and some upgrading in that area would probably do some good.... thanks for all the feedback and discussion. Couple hundred more bucks... will just need to wait for the next payday.

I went with a stock distributor rebuilt and recurved by an old Ford mechanic located in the eastern US (don’t have the name with me at the moment). He provided me with a date code correct original distributor fully restored with all new innards, vac advance, and Pertronix conversion. Plug and play. No fuss no muss. And it was surprisingly cheap at around $200 if I remember correctly. I could not recommend this guy any higher. If you need the name let me know.

Cheers,

Tony

Another thing to keep in mind with the Petronix conversion is that you can take all of your points parts and put them in a baggy and keep them in your glove box. If the module ever blows, you can easily throw your points back in and get yourself home.

Jim