Sign in to follow this  
dkm004

Which aluninum heads for 351W?

Hey guys.

Im looking upgrade the heads on my 69 Mach 351W 4V. I already have a 270H Comp Cam installed with an Edelbrock manifold and a Holley 675 on top. The car runs well and pulls nice, but I think it needs aluminum heads to get the best out of it.

Ive been looking at a pair of GT40's but was curious as to what brands you maybe prefer or use and what gains you noticed before I make a purchase.

Any input would be appreciated. cheers!

what edelbrock intake do you have? What headers do you have? What pistons do you have. Does the engine have stock displacement and compression?

Performer manifold with Hooker headers. Stock displacement and compression.

Edited by dkm004

I agree with Glenn83. I will be going with AFR 225 heads when I rebuild my 351w into a 408. I have been around Mustangs for a long time and everyone I know has always used AFR heads.

I hear Trick Flow heads are really good too.

Back around 12-14 years ago, one of the magazines did an aluminum head comparison. They bolted on AFR 185's and gained 75hp on the dyno. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big names.

Bob

Trick Flow 11r gets my vote. The canted valve has advantages over the inline valve placement of the AFRs, plus it allows a larger valve to be used on stock pistons compared to the AFR or other inline valve head.

AFR heads seem to be the cream of the crop, but they aren't cheap.

I run performer RPM heads on my 398 and they do very well, even though they are the 1.90 intake instead of the 2.02. Given your cam and exhaust, you would be making many 6500 rpm pulls, and a head like that would be plenty. Probably about half what an AFR head would cost.

If I were to build another stroker windsor, I would go AFR and 427.

AFR 205s here.

A good friend of mine got some Patriot Performance heads and took them in to get checked anad put on his 408...Guy at the shop was suprised they looked so nice, he did some port matching and clean up on them and the car put down 403 HP to the wheels with those cheap heads and its still going after 3 years..

On the Flip side my 408 with AFR 205's made 550 HP at the crank with a very small Hyd Roller