indianfiremach

'70 Grabber Orange Mach 1 Resto

Looking good....feeeeling good, I imagine. Quite a bit different look from last time. What's your other Mustang off to the side?

Bob

Thanks for the comments. That is my friend's shop where the work is being done. The car off to the side is a customer's rough '65 fastback that's being turned into a Shelby clone. However, I did just pick up a '66 convertible from a co-worker as my next project. Same family 30+ years. Was not looking for another one (at least to keep), but I couldn't pass this car up.

photo310_zpsffac4025.jpg

photo220_zps66da5398.jpg

photo119_zpsb5e17dfc.jpg

Project? What's left to do, clean the windshield and gas it up? Looks very nice from here.

Bob

All i can say is I wish the underside of the '66 convertible I picked up looked as good as the top! The front and rear frame rails are in great shape, but the center of the car (rockers, torque boxes, floor) has typical northern rust which means there's basically nothing there anymore.

Edited by indianfiremach

Hi,

Great work on your car.

I like your D.I.Y attitude for tackling the different tasks on the resto.

Your steering came up great, but I'm curious, how did you apply the Di-Noc to the wheel rim without getting wrinkles in it as you curved it around the radius, I'd like to try the same on my wheel and I like the idea of using Di-Noc.

Not the best pictures, but she's just about ready for paint. It's been pretty cold up here so the body shop has been focused on another car. However, I'm sure they're about as ready to have it leave their garage as I am to get it back!

IMG_0331_zpsb09c3da5.jpg

IMG_0333_zpse4296443.jpg

Also picked up a new set of wheels that was a deal I couldn't pass up (ever heard that before?) I got them for my '66 convertible but I think the tires may be a bit too big. 15x8's. Anyone recognize the brand? 

IMG_5410_zps7fd9912a.jpg

Might have to take a wild guess on the brand name.... it'll come to me in a minute.....

15x8's, we can make those fit, as long as the back spacing is around 4.5" to 4.75". Nice score, they will look nice on the 'vert.

The Mach fenders look ready for some paint, as long as it warms up a little in the next week or so. Bet you are getting all excited seeing it this close to color. Those will look great all orange again.

you seem to be in a good location and have good luck with parts. I am enjoying watching your craigslist finds turn from scrap to gold. The door panels were priceless. I wonder if the owner of those panels was really into furbies or something lol.

you seem to be in a good location and have good luck with parts. I am enjoying watching your craigslist finds turn from scrap to gold. The door panels were priceless. I wonder if the owner of those panels was really into furbies or something lol.

Thanks! It does seem to be a pretty active area. In fact, I just brought home today a '70 F100 to resell, along with a number of really nice 69/70 Mustang parts that came as part of the package. 1970 D0ZB rear wing, original rear window louvers with hardware, mint '69 Console, perfect 390 GT exhaust manifolds, '68 Argent styled steel wheels, '69 Mach 1 pop open cap, NOS '69 roof emblems, etc. I think this truck will make a great and inexpensive project for someone.

IMG_5509_zpsb4f62f42.jpg

It's been a long time since I gave an update on the car, well, not much has changed! The body shop has turned their focus back to my car after taking on a few side jobs. Anyway, the car was blocked out again and put in final prime. It will be mounted to the rotisserie Tuesday and the underside cleaned, seam sealed, and painted red oxide primer as original. I can't wait!  After that, it's back on the ground for some color and putting all those pieces back together. I forget how complicated 1970 Mach 1's are relative to the earlier years, and when you add in all the extra options / wiring / etc on this car, it's been a lot! However, I feel like we're about to make some real progress. Maybe a Grabber Orange summer?

Here's some photos the body shop sent me. They are working on it in their home shop, and will take it in to a commercial paint/body shop and paint the color in a booth. 

IMG_6555_zpswojipbdo.jpg

IMG_6557_zpsipbfed0v.jpg

IMG_6558_zpsmsoiv7iu.jpg

ONto the rotisserie to have the bottom stripped and painted red oxide. Progress! Shop is focusing on my car until it's finished so the next few weeks should see some real progress. I've actually been very pleased the cars been at the shop a while, it's given me a lot of time to find, buy, upgrade, and sell off extra parts I didn't need. You can't rush these projects or they can really overwhelm you.

2169D4F1-8573-457C-98B5-3BE1167956F2_zps

0FD8837F-CD20-41CF-8390-EB06F4D2A999_zps

Progress! 

New headers - FC4 Sanderson.

IMG_0052_zpscr8e5dr0.jpg

And it's on it's side! Getting a full round of bodywork and seam sealing on the underside. Any tips on what paint to use for the final coat? I would like something durable. The underside does not appear to have ever been red oxide based on the colors of primer that exist under the undercoat. 

IMG_0056_zpseufv2iut.jpg

IMG_0053_zpsa1fcfggy.jpg

The upper pic is the bottom of my 66 fast back ,the color is called Red wood from Colar .

This is my 69 Shelby replica ,the color is darker ,and i liked it a lot better but it was dropped for the Red Wood primer .

this primer is for enamels and Emron . It is about $100 for a gallon with 1 gallon activator /it mixes 1-1 and it can also be reduced up to 25 percent ,so there is more than enough primer to primer the whole car .This stuff sticks to bare metal like you will not believe ,and if you sand blast the under side first you may never get it back off .

post-42284-0-73683400-1435542002.jpg

After over a year, I may actually own a '70 Mach 1! I went the SPI black epoxy. It should dry a little flatter and be satin. I didn't go with the red oxide since it was originally a grey/green slop underneath which was correct for the '70. I like the engine bay and underbody being the same color.

B0BBB753-1DCC-4648-81AC-5224DEBB2744_zps

4A0D60DF-61DB-4AC3-ACF0-424C3C2C2F2B_zps

6AE25B7B-70EB-4B4F-9158-1F64402DF3FC_zps