indianfiremach

'70 Grabber Orange Mach 1 Resto

I've been busy working on the car, what a huge jigsaw puzzle! I took a break today and picked up a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 project and some parts. Well, a lot of parts! I'll sell the Mach 1 as I'm not looking to do another project. I already have the '66 in queue behind this one. I just wanted to see the car saved, I've actually known about it for two years and chased it across two states. Calypso Coral, 4 speed, AC car. Engine and trans are in it, even down to the Hurtst shifter.

A6754A26-7E41-47F1-ABCE-A59209E68036_zps

1852A4F3-F819-4457-A955-07F9BB9B97C2_zps

25C37491-08E9-41F3-ACEA-E3A34C9F89E7_zps

Making progress! Now that I've finished renovating a house and 100 other things, back onto the Mach 1. This car continues to fight me at every turn. But I'm stubbornly making progress.

Put the harness back in the car, it's coming back to life!

9372B615-A7CE-45DD-AC62-28B061A245AF_zps

Also started installing the Vintage Air Gen IV kit so I can put the dash back together. I installed one in my Corvette and love it. The instructions for this one, however, are sorely lacking. Great product, but I feel like I'm fumbling around in the dark putting it together. Thankfully this isn't my first one but I am very surprised.

1F05EF1F-AE61-4B66-B1A1-729A7D089426_zps

6298297C-B405-44EE-9585-816D7FE149B7_zps

Looks fantastic!  I'd certainly call Rick Love at Vintage Air and give him an earful about those install instructions!  For the kind of coin they command in the marketplace, they should have flawless install info!  If nothing else, call them and let them know so they can make improvements.

Looking forward to the next update(s)!

I feel like a mad scientist at this point, spending hours and hours locked away in my lab, err.. garage. I wired up the rest of the Gen IV kit and tested the functions. I also tackled the stereo and convenience group, among mounting various pieces and parts. I ended up going with an original AM 8 Track that I had FM and and iPhone input added to. Cool setup, and I already ate a Beach Boys 8 track tape. I also got the seatback release system working which is pretty neat. Between the clicking for that system and the clock motor winding up every few minutes, this car makes a lot of noise!

Clock panel, dash, and radio all in:

86CA4438-64A9-47F6-A718-58C13ABEE15E_zps

Dash lights work, had the speedo reset to zero. Notice the MPH, not sure if I'll ever take it that fast. 

0C41E876-6CE4-4A16-8D43-8C311E53094F_zps

Map light works:

40E859BA-42C2-4F2C-840F-980B6811B6BA_zps

Don't forget to fasten your seatbelts and release the parking brake. Intermittent wipers work as well. Two speeds to the right, with the delay wipers to the left.

D3918D9D-4A55-49E1-8DD4-F347842EDC7F_zps

Trunk light working, actually puts out a lot of light:

1F40857C-65F1-4101-A1C2-1F8E08A7C94F_zps

Been busy in the shop.. Sold the '70 Calypso Coral car, and got a 2-post lift installed. It was Jeff Burton's lift and was only light used, and they installed a new 110v motor on it for me. Works great. 

76DE900A-EB92-457E-B322-032DCA9362C2_zps

034D339D-3887-4B96-8D82-4238BA049F0B_zps

21726D3B-CE3C-4B1B-9F1D-6EA3C576B43C_zps

And I made some progress on the Mustang. Installed and adjusted the rear 1/4 windows and roof rail trim, and installed the fold down rear seat (still a work in progress). The rear seat is original and in great shape. 

BDD7097D-2149-4847-9216-E82C1C9ABA2F_zps

00ED5F1E-8FEE-4D0F-AD03-1D9F8D7063E4_zps

Been distracted while working on my shop (new door and windows) and getting my '70 Corvette ready to sell. Placed it with a muscle car dealer, and was finally able to get back to the '70 Mach 1. With a project this large it was nice to step away for a little bit.

My latest project has been the interior. Today I installed the Bilstein rear shocks and was able to button up the fold down assembly. Did the carpet as well and laid down dynamat xtreme and a heat liner. Lot of work!! But now I can finally sit in it and at least pretend I own a '70 Mach 1 again. 

Underlayment:

8631F391-447C-4B31-B1FD-F6A8BE6FAEBB_zps

Seats in:

1F060BDF-921A-43D7-81B5-9536E9E257AA_zps

Back seat:

0C667A2C-2BCF-4D96-BBB8-C9F08F2E2217_zps

Folded down. Lot of satisfaction in getting it this far.

68D2AB6C-C205-486D-B9E3-E16B0625E414_zps

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm glad to see it looking like a car again. The TKO-600 has really slowed me down. I had it streamlined but didn't notch the support brace between the two floor supports, and it hits when I get it even close to the tunnel. Which I also had to cut since the shifter is so far over (to be fair it's the opening that's offset due to how the old shifters mounted on the DS of the trans).

I am going to pull the TKO again and see if I can notch the floor support there and get it to fit. I'm also having to use a bunch of washers on the mount itself (from modern driveline) to raise the rear of the TKO up. My shaker sits at a very steep angle. I think most of my issues are because I used the stock motor mounts and have the shaker. However my Sanderson shorty headers are just off the frame so lowering the motor isn't an option.

If I had gone back stock here I'd be driving it already. Oh well, what's the fun in that? Hopefully the fifth gear is worth it. I have a T5z ready to go if I get tired of fighting the TKO.

Great job on the resto indianfiremach,

I installed a streamlined TKO the same as you are doing.

Yes, to get the correct transmission angle when using std. engine mounts you will need to notch the cross member brace.

I went a step further and cut a 'U' shape slot in the transmission tunnel just above and forward of the cross member brace and lifted it up about 3/8" and filled and in the gap with some sheet metal the same thickness as the tunnel.

Worked out alright in the end and blended in nicely. This allowed me to lift the TKO a bit higher again and I was able to achieve a 3 degree transmission angle by doing this and still keeping the std. engine mounts.

In your case maybe just notching the cross member without raising the tunnel a bit might give you a transmission angle that you are happy with, from memory I think I had 3.75 degrees of angle at that stage.

I made my own rear transmission mount out of some 1.75" pipe and some 45 degree elbows.

Best of luck with the rest of your build.

If I had gone back stock here I'd be driving it already. Oh well, what's the fun in that? 

That's what I say. Keep it up and keep us posted.

I spent yesterday putting the rear brakes on and routing the e-brake cables, and decided to fully install the hood latch today.

At some point in my car's life, the original shaker was stolen. I decided to go the extra mile on this one for security and install a locking hood latch from a 1978+ Bronco. It's a bolt-in replacement. I bought one with the latch, cable, and key on Ebay and installed it this morning. Looks / works great. Now I can only open the hood from inside the car, just like a modern car. I can also lock it though that's more to hold the latch tight. The handle has a nice vintage look and doesn't seem out of place at all. one small hole extra in the firewall was all I needed. 

Here's the latch:

330DEB40-114E-40EF-ABB8-E3E7ADDFF84B_zps

And here's the cable inside the car. Doesn't interfere with anything (including the column cover (which mounts to the left / and in front of it).

492E64E6-D9DD-4338-A2EB-6199DBFB9B37_zps