Sign in to follow this  
Thunderscrash

Calling All You Old Guys (Another Picture Thread)

I mean no disrespect with the title. I happen to be one of the young guys. I am hoping you all can help me out. I am really into the old school, jacked up rear end, big meaty tires, small 15" torque thrust/cragar wheels, fender flairs, look of the 60's-70's muscle cars. But being born in 1987, there aren't many cars I can remember seeing like this. There are a few that end up at car shows but not many. I am just looking for a little inspiration.

So please, lets see photos of those cars you had in high school. The ones you put all your extra money into, your first loves, the ones you lost your virginity in (and because of). The cars you weren't afraid of making it your own.

Does anyone else get excited by cars like this?

I mean no disrespect with the title. I happen to be one of the young guys. I am hoping you all can help me out. I am really into the old school, jacked up rear end, big meaty tires, small 15" torque thrust/cragar wheels, fender flairs, look of the 60's-70's muscle cars. But being born in 1987, there aren't many cars I can remember seeing like this. There are a few that end up at car shows but not many. I am just looking for a little inspiration.

So please, lets see photos of those cars you had in high school. The ones you put all your extra money into, your first loves, the ones you lost your virginity in (and because of). The cars you weren't afraid of making it your own.

Does anyone else get excited by cars like this?

I am 55 & yes, I do. I love that look. I have no pictures of the car to post because they are all on 35mm film, but it was a 68 Mustang GT Coupe. It had air shocks in the rear, L60-15 tires on deep dish slotted wheels. The car was painted bright blue from a 78 or 79 T/A had custom pin stripping, a Cobra snake air brushed on the 78 Cobra II hood scoop & had a 1970 Mach-1 rear spoiler. It had a 302, C4 auto, front power disc brakes, 3.50 rear gears, Comp Cam, dual exhaust with headers & Cherry Bomb glass packs, Edelbrock Torker 4 bbl intake, & 1970 Mustang high back bucket seats. I miss the car a lot & plan to build my 69 Coupe like that one.:thumbup1:

My 1st mustang taken in the summer of 80, I think when I was home on leave.

My1stMustang.jpg

It looks high but wasn't that high, left rear is sitting in a low spot in pic.

Edited by RacerX

Here's one for ya, circa 1977 my first car. It was an ex drag car, the owner got dusted by a very hot VW and sold it. Power was a 302, mostly stock, except for a shelby dual 4bbl intake with adapters for a pair of 500 holley 2bbls around town I would shut off the fuel and linkage and run on one carb, 4 speed T-10, and 4:56 gears. Not a lot of freeway trips, but it was a hell of a lot of fun to drive around town.

Sold it before enlisting in the USAF in 1978, the rust was gettting to it a bit, floors and the rear shakles were trying to come up through the trunk floor. Great idea for this thread....Mikes1stMustang-1.jpg

This is a far as I went on tires and wheels. I still run the same set up on my driver. This picture was taken by a fellow MP and he later gave me the picture surprising me. This was about 1981 at FT Lewis Wa where I was stationed for a few years. I built the car from a total my dad towed in. It took me a year to rebuild after school etc. The great thing about those days were I bought everything from Ford. I drove it from 1977 to 1982 and sold it like an idiot! I regretted it from the moment I handed the keys over. yes it was just a coupe, but it was my first car.

69coupe.jpg

This is a far as I went on tires and wheels. I still run the same set up on my driver. This picture was taken by a fellow MP and he later gave me the picture surprising me. This was about 1981 at FT Lewis Wa where I was stationed for a few years. I built the car from a total my dad towed in. It took me a year to rebuild after school etc. The great thing about those days were I bought everything from Ford. I drove it from 1977 to 1982 and sold it like an idiot! I regretted it from the moment I handed the keys over. yes it was just a coupe, but it was my first car.

69coupe.jpg

69coupe.jpg

Those were the same wheels I had on my 68 GT Coupe, I love those wheels.

69coupe.jpg

Those were the same wheels I had on my 68 GT Coupe, I love those wheels.

Just don't paint the inside of the wheelhouses white as they did here in Scandinavia back in the day.:online2long: Picture taken by my friend PontChief.

amcar6.jpg

*Jedi mind trick* "This is not the stance you are looking for.." :biggrin:

Just don't paint the inside of the wheelhouses white as they did here in Scandinavia back in the day.:online2long: Picture taken by my friend PontChief.

amcar6.jpg

*Jedi mind trick* "This is not the stance you are looking for.." :biggrin:

Here's my first car, I bought it going into my Senior year 1979. I knew nothing about the car just that it looked bad ass! I paid $900 for it and later found out that it was a 428 SCJ Drag Pak w/ a C-6 3 speed slap stick and 4:30 locker. It had the deluxe interior with a red shag rug and a factory 8 track player, it also had air shocks and 14" Mickey Thompson M-50's in the back. My love for Mustangs started after I totalled it a year later racing a Motorcycle, the reason why in my 50's I bought another to rebuild.

This is the only picture I have of it.

LastScan.jpg

Here's my first car, I bought it going into my Senior year 1979. I knew nothing about the car just that it looked bad ass! I paid $900 for it and later found out that it was a 428 SCJ Drag Pak w/ a C-6 3 speed slap stick and 4:30 locker. It had the deluxe interior with a red shag rug and a factory 8 track player, it also had air shocks and 14" Mickey Thompson M-50's in the back. My love for Mustangs started after I totalled it a year later racing a Motorcycle, the reason why in my 50's I bought another to rebuild.

LastScan.jpg

That was a lot of car for a young lad! I pretyy much wanted the same thing my senior year 6 years later but the ole man wouldn't allow it and I couldn't afford insurance without being on his policy so I ended up with a 78' 6cyl Nova that he picked out for me instead. That slug just increased my Mustang desire more and left a sour Chevy taste in my mouth.