hawkdriver

Sound Deadener

Ok probably been discussed a few times around here. What is everyone preferred sound deadener/proofer. What im after is to cut down on some rattle, basic sound system with amp. I am also interested in thermal protection as well. And lastly im not looking to spend a fortune on something that is never seen, and may or may not make a noticible difference. Looking for someone to convince me if it is worth it i guess im saying and if so what are you using. Last i do not want any terrible chemical smell inside my car. Lets hear it.

When commerical heating and air conditioning people install AC systems, they sometimes use an insulating wrap on air ducts. I found some of this that is about 1/4 inch thick and put it under my carpet pad. It insulates the heat and the noise, but I would guess it does very little for the noise. But it can't hurt?

x2 on Dynamat. Keep in mind too, that not every square inch needs to be covered for it to be effective. I used some strips on the inside of the doors, about 2/3 coverage, and it made the entire door sound and feel more solid.

I used Hushmat from NPD or Summit. It's a little cheaper than Dyna.

I am happy with it, has great adhesive on it too. Just wear gloves. I sliced the bejebus out of my finger tips the first time I installed it.

I read a lot on this forum http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alternative-lizard-skin-103610.html about different ways to save money and beat the heat/sound. I ended up getting a five gallon bucket of Kool Seal Duralite ($60) and rolling it on for three coats. It made a real difference. After that I went to Lowes (Home Depot works also) and bought some duct insulation and laid it over the Kool Seal. Make sure you get the closed cell foam insulation instead of the fiberglass so you don’t worry about mildew from spills. A roll runs around $20 for a 12â€x20’ package. Stuff works really well and is self adhesive. I’ve got a significant sound and heat decrease for just a little over $100 bucks + labor. Some people use Peel-n-Seal instead of the duct insulation, but its asphalt based and can smell a little when it gets really hot. It works well for me and allowed me to spend my savings on some other stuff on my wish list.

I just installed Pee-n-Seal on the floor pan and then installed under carpet lite from Design Engineering, blocks 85 to 90% of radiant heat from the floor pan and deadens sound (in my car anyway) about 40 to 50%

I have a built CJ in my car and its loud w/ over the counter stock mufflers.

Just my take on this, I also did extensive research for the same problem and so far this has worked well for me.

John

yup .. i went with lizard skin products, sound control and ceramic insulation spray in while the car was apart and the headliner was out... did the interior cabin, doors and roof.. car made a solid thud when shutting the door without any carpet, headliner etc... even more so now with carpet, headliner etc.. once i get on the road ill know more about keeping the heat out.. when i install the Vintage air kit, i plan on installing a dynamat like product from eastwood called thermo-coustic on the firewall passenger compartment side.. eastwood has a good sale on the kits once in awhile...

yup .. i went with lizard skin products, sound control and ceramic insulation spray in while the car was apart and the headliner was out... did the interior cabin, doors and roof.. car made a solid thud when shutting the door without any carpet, headliner etc... even more so now with carpet, headliner etc.. once i get on the road ill know more about keeping the heat out.. when i install the Vintage air kit, i plan on installing a dynamat like product from eastwood called thermo-coustic on the firewall passenger compartment side.. eastwood has a good sale on the kits once in awhile...

How bad was the lizard skin to spray? I have read some folks had some real problems getting it on right.

How bad was the lizard skin to spray? I have read some folks had some real problems getting it on right.

the body guy did it with the spray kit, said it went on easy. i'm deciding now to use it on the inner fenders and spray it myself or use a bed liner product... a buddy just sprayed his entire frame and under body on his land cruiser with raptor liner and it went on great.. so im wanting to do all of my inner fenders with lizard skin..

I seem to recall we had a DIY thread for Lizard Skin a while back where someone posted a link to small glass spheres you can add to primer to make your own lizard skin for less?!?!?!?

EDIT: I amaze even myself sometimes with the stuff I have no idea I retain from this site until it's pertinent. Found the thread I was thinking of, started back in 2007. I obviously spend way too much time here.:001_unsure:

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=3921

Edited by Pakrat