Sign in to follow this  
1969 coupe

Welder suggestions

Looking for suggestions on a welder for doing body work. I will need to replace shock towers, floor pans, torque boxes, etc. I have done some of this in a class I am taking, but my schedule will require me to finish most of the repairs at home. I know Eastwood has a good deal on some of their welders, just not sure of the quality. I have used a Miller 140, but would hate to spend that kind of money on a small welder when for a little more I could get a smaller 230V. I know I will need a tank, cart, and upgrade electrical connections, so I am factoring that in as well. Budget friendly suggestions welcome.

I use the miller 211. It's great and will weld anything 3/8" and thinner. Don't let the auto set feature be the deciding factor. With old cars (rust making things a little thinner) and thinner sheet metal it doesn't work to well. I've only used auto set once. Then I had to back fill the holes. Most of the name brands entry level 230v migs will be more than enough for your car. The money you spend on it will pay for it's self if you were to take it to a shop instead. I would tend to stay away from the harbor freight welders. I haven't had any experiance with their welders but their air drills suck. Mine fell apart in less than 5 min. That being said they do have some good "cheap" tools. I have had one of their floor jacks for about 10 years. I also had one of their air compressers for several years until I upgraded to a 60 gal. JMHO, hope it helps

Forgot to mention, I do like the fact that you can use it with either 110v or 230v. It does run better with 230v on the thicker stuff but for automotive sheet metal it's fine either way and makes it a little more mobile.

Edited by jnet4jt
add on thought

I use a Miller 210, probably a little more welder than the "at home" hobbist needs. The 230V is a plus on any welder, it runs alot smoother than a 110v. (IMO) The cost for a name brand versus a "Harbor Freight" model is worth the investment, and once you have access to a good welder, you will find all sorts of projects to do, where you can work on the project and not the welder. I would suggest .023" wire for most sheet metal jobs, and using gas is a must. The smaller wire will be easier to use on guage material, wich is 90% of a Mustang's body. I use .030" and can be a little bit hot on some thin parts. Miller or Lincoln is my vote, in a 175 amp unit, 230V, you will not regret it.

I have a Chicago electric.. a really old one before they got cheap..a220v 185amp that holds a 10lb spool they haven't sold one like it in years..they were made in Italy.. one good thing about a 220v everyone that wants to borrow it needs a 110v.. most people don't have the plug to run a bigger welder..I have welded with small 110v boxes and 220v and i prefer the bigger boxes..better welds and a longer duration during welds..I also have a Chicago electric plasma cutter ..best tool I have ever bought for metal work.. only thing..get a good ground..use frayed wire on your ground cable..its like thousands of contact points for a ground...( pinch it in between your work and clamp) u tube it.. ( as seen in the Lexington.. Boiler repair shop..we fix anything from cracked ice to broken hearts)

Edited by 1969vert

If I were in the market for a mig, I'd probably go with one of the Eastwoods a they have good pricing. The 110v will weld anything on your car, but as already stated it will limit you on other projects.

Bob

I also use a Hobart Handler 140. It does everything I need so far. You'll find many other projects to use it on besides the car. Just finished building an audio rack that matches my desk this past weekend.

Thanks for all the replies. I agree that a 140 should meet my needs, but I think for just a little more money, the small 230v would be my preference. I am tempted to get the Eastwood 175, but just don't know about the quality. Money is always an issue, so just want to find the best welder for the money. I will continue to look for good deals on a better quality welder, so if anybody finds a good deal on a quality, smaller 230V, let me know.

I know this thread is old, I bought a lincoln weldpack that runs off of 115 and have been able to do anything thats not thick metal plates or frames. it was 350 at home depot and you can still get them for about that if you shop around. add the cost of a tank for 50-80 iirc. and you are in business.