latoracing

1970 Grabber Green Project

Mocking up the right side front suspension went quite well. It went together just as easy as the left. I did go ahead and do a little adjusting to the UCA rod end joints. In order to adjust them, the cross bar had to be removed. Once removed the rear joint was screwed in all the way, and the forward joint was turned all the way in, then backed out three full turns. The cross bar was reinstalled and re-torqued (so I don't forget) This is how it came from SoT, not much difference once adjusted

IMG_20141107_173209_zps5hnnpolm.jpg

Installing everything in place, it looks all nice and shiny...

IMG_20141108_172008_zpst2qesdn4.jpg

For the first time, the wheel and tire combo was bolted into place on it's suspension, and the lug nut were snugged up. The wheels are a hub centric design so they were pulled into position with the lug nuts. Cycling the suspension and turning the assembly reviled no interference between the tire and the braces. After checking this, I installed the fender once again...

IMG_20141108_173937_zpsuhdfburw.jpg

"No Fitty", I knew this would be a big possibility when I ordered these rims. Guess this is all part of mocking up this stuff. It does look great with all of it bolted up, just a few more "adjustments" when I get ready for this portion

IMG_20141108_175006_zpsfpegytni.jpg

I'll go on and get the braces all welded in place, and make the other side as well.

Edited by latoracing
Double pic

Seems like forever since I have been able to mess with my stuff. It has been just a little on the busy side around here lately. With all the Christmas parties, get togethers, Church events and the like I have had no time left over. I have also been a little busy getting that little green coupe all welded up (brushed stainless steel 4 point roll bar fabricated and installed) and out of my shop as of today (YEA!!!!!) So I have a little bit of room, for a little while at least.

I wimped out on my passenger door, after getting it blasted. Looked good with all the paint and goo on it, but after getting it all cleaned up it is as bad, if not worse than the driver's side. So I was able to pick up a new to me door shell from Indianfiremach for a great price. Got it back home and promptly removed the skin to reveal a shell I can easily work with. About a half hour and it is prepped to go get sand blasted.

IMG_20141206_180342_zpsgsrsvmhn.jpg

I was able to piddle with the rest of the shock tower bracing, just for a little while. I was able to get some of the driver's side fitted, but no welding as of yet. Some day I'll get them put in.

I have a bunch of stuff I want to do and get with some of the parts on the way. I need to get Armando going on my oil pan so I can do some more mocking up in the engine bay area. Order some material for the rotisserie, headers, lower valance...on and on and on.

I should have been working on my braces, but took a little side track to attempt a "subtle" modification. I really do not want to make a larger flair for the front fenders to cover up these 275's, as I would have to do something to the rear as well. I wanted to keep the stock looking wheel arch / flare kinda stock looking. Indianfiremach gave me an old front fender destined for the scrap heap, so I thought it might be fun to attempt some mods on a part that doesn't really matter. So...

IMG_20141211_192538_zpsvfoddrfx.jpg

after looking at several ways to accomplish what I was after, this is the route I went. There was a BUNCH of hammering in order to get this into position, along with a lip rolling trial run. This exercise was to get a feel for the really neat problems that come from splitting a fender over four feet, then beating it silly. I did accomplish my goal, this fender lip is moved outboard 1" from where I started. This should be just enough, hopefully. I didn't finish filling in all of the gap I created and probably will not. It is hard to get a good picture to show what is going on but there is about 3/4" of added material right over the wheel opening. I wanted to make the body line stay in the same place as well.

IMG_20141211_192836_zpspnmr1zer.jpg

It reminds me a little of a '85 Capri in a weird sort of way. Not the traditional way to accomplish it, but it was fun to try.

Ok, I need opinions on this, does it look decent, or do I need to go get my head examined?

Edited by latoracing

I like the way you think Mike! Does the filter metal continue on a smooth line with the upper part and not lay too horizontal? Kinda hard for me to see in the pic. If the added piece looks and feels natural I'd do it. Great mind there at work.

While you're at it, why don't you design a fender vent similar to this one in the pic but one that looks like it belongs and came from Ford :)

Screenshot_2014-12-11-21-51-12_zps7b7b4fc7.png

Bob

I should have been working on my braces, but took a little side track to attempt a "subtle" modification. I really do not want to make a larger flair for the front fenders to cover up these 275's, as I would have to do something to the rear as well. I wanted to keep the stock looking wheel arch / flare kinda stock looking. Indianfiremach gave me an old front fender destined for the scrap heap, so I thought it might be fun to attempt some mods on a part that doesn't really matter. So...

IMG_20141211_192538_zpsbh9pkf0u.jpg

after looking at several ways to accomplish what I was after, this is the route I went. There was a BUNCH of hammering in order to get this into position, along with a lip rolling trial run. This exercise was to get a feel for the really neat problems that come from splitting a fender over four feet, then beating it silly. I did accomplish my goal, this fender lip is moved outboard 1" from where I started. This should be just enough, hopefully. I didn't finish filling in all of the gap I created and probably will not. It is hard to get a good picture to show what is going on but there is about 3/4" of added material right over the wheel opening. I wanted to make the body line stay in the same place as well.

IMG_20141211_192836_zpspnmr1zer.jpg

It reminds me a little of a '85 Capri in a weird sort of way. Not the traditional way to accomplish it, but it was fun to try.

Ok, I need opinions on this, does it look decent, or do I need to go get my head examined?

That's what I'm going to do to flare my front fenders. I bought some 1/4 inch round stock at Lowes and I bent 1 piece to the shape I want, front to rear, at the contour edge. The Idea is to cut the fender where you did and weld the rod in place then add or trim material to meet the new edge. Make sense?

Before I removed my test fender, I had to stick the tire back under it to see what it looked like. From the previous mock up I recorded the location from the frame rail and got this in relative position.

IMG_20141215_131657_zpsuvgg2iau.jpg

Looks kinda fat from the rear...

IMG_20141215_131737_zpsklusiplk.jpg

not so much from the front. I do know that I might have to do a little pie cutting on the real fenders, this thing was pretty hammered before, now it is all kinds of wavy. Guess when you pull that hard on a part, what do you expect?

I got the braces all installed on the passenger side, along with cutting most of the driver's side. One side down... took me long enough.

IMG_20141215_163824_zpsaqspk0pk.jpg?t=1418681924

Hopefully it will be a lot quicker for the other side.

I got an early Christmas present from Me to Me (I love me!)

IMG_20141215_151750_zpsq37zn9aj.jpg?t=1418680496

I needed these in order to make some headers in the "near" future. The price was right, as the end of the year mark ups are coming. These are AFR (like you can't read it on the side of the box) 205's PN 1450. They have a 58cc combustion chamber and should give me around 10.5:1 with a 19ish cc dished piston. Thought about going Twisted Wedge but got talked into these instead. This set of AFR's, being all CNC'd , the ports are sexy. Should be able to breathe!

Before I removed my test fender, I had to stick the tire back under it to see what it looked like. From the previous mock up I recorded the location from the frame rail and got this in relative position.

IMG_20141215_131657_zpsuvgg2iau.jpg

Looks kinda fat from the rear...

IMG_20141215_131737_zpsklusiplk.jpg

not so much from the front. I do know that I might have to do a little pie cutting on the real fenders, this thing was pretty hammered before, now it is all kinds of wavy. Guess when you pull that hard on a part, what do you expect?

I got the braces all installed on the passenger side, along with cutting most of the driver's side. One side down... took me long enough.

IMG_20141215_163824_zpsaqspk0pk.jpg?t=1418681924

Hopefully it will be a lot quicker for the other side.

I got an early Christmas present from Me to Me (I love me!)

IMG_20141215_151750_zpsq37zn9aj.jpg?t=1418680496

I needed these in order to make some headers in the "near" future. The price was right, as the end of the year mark ups are coming. These are AFR (like you can't read it on the side of the box) 205's PN 1450. They have a 58cc combustion chamber and should give me around 10.5:1 with a 19ish cc dished piston. Thought about going Twisted Wedge but got talked into these instead. This set of AFR's, being all CNC'd , the ports are sexy. Should be able to breathe!

Hey Mike, are you planning on putting in these torque box to frame rail gussets? I know you're not finished but hadn't seen them on your car or mentioned in the text. I always get a chuckle when guys point out missing items on a car under construction, now I'm that guy. Happy trails.

IMG_20141216_141735_zpsf9e2e544.jpg

Bob

Hey Mike, are you planning on putting in these torque box to frame rail gussets? I know you're not finished but hadn't seen them on your car or mentioned in the text. I always get a chuckle when guys point out missing items on a car under construction, now I'm that guy. Happy trails.

IMG_20141216_141735_zpsf9e2e544.jpg

Bob

Bob

They are laying on the boxes beside the car, ready to go on. They will be going on shortly, but hopefully up side down! (the car, not the gussets) I had a slight frame rail patch I wanted to look at a little closer and didn't want to cover that area up just yet. Thanks for looking after me though.

Bob

They are laying on the boxes beside the car, ready to go on. They will be going on shortly, but hopefully up side down! (the car, not the gussets) I had a slight frame rail patch I wanted to look at a little closer and didn't want to cover that area up just yet. Thanks for looking after me though.

Was able to get the driver's side bracing welded into place yesterday afternoon. Glad to finally get that part semi done. Still want to do a little more in the way of gussets, but haven't decided on sheet metal, or 3/4" square tube. I'll figure it out eventually.

IMG_20141216_165022_zpsvh5lzxvn.jpg

Remember this view from almost a year ago?

doorgap_zpsd6621e6b.jpg

I broke out my newly rebuilt door hinges from Classic Cougar and bolted the door back on to get this pie shaped door gap under control. The lower part of the quarter panel was the culprit of this awful looking mess. I had marked the area to straighten out a while back. I went ahead and made the gap look a little better.

IMG_20141217_124058_zpseeqlzabq.jpg

If I am able to get all the gaps as neat as this one, I'll be doing something. The rocker to door gap will have to be closed up as well, but I'm just glad the door fits now. A little marking of the hinges and it will be ready to come back off in a little while.

Lunch is over, back to work...

Was able to get the driver's side bracing welded into place yesterday afternoon. Glad to finally get that part semi done. Still want to do a little more in the way of gussets, but haven't decided on sheet metal, or 3/4" square tube. I'll figure it out eventually.

IMG_20141216_165022_zpsvh5lzxvn.jpg

Remember this view from almost a year ago?

doorgap_zpsd6621e6b.jpg

I broke out my newly rebuilt door hinges from Classic Cougar and bolted the door back on to get this pie shaped door gap under control. The lower part of the quarter panel was the culprit of this awful looking mess. I had marked the area to straighten out a while back. I went ahead and made the gap look a little better.

IMG_20141217_124058_zpseeqlzabq.jpg

If I am able to get all the gaps as neat as this one, I'll be doing something. The rocker to door gap will have to be closed up as well, but I'm just glad the door fits now. A little marking of the hinges and it will be ready to come back off in a little while.

Lunch is over, back to work...

Damn nice work! I think you missed your calling. I believe I've posted this same message about a dozen times in your thread Mike. Hope you can put up with it, it'll probably happen again.

Bob

Damn nice work! I think you missed your calling. I believe I've posted this same message about a dozen times in your thread Mike. Hope you can put up with it, it'll probably happen again.

Bob

Bob

Na, don't get tired of it, just not so deserving sometimes. I don't like bondo, irritates the crap out of my body man. I mess with him every chance I get, and use a hammer instead of filler. Takes forever, but makes for nice parts. He will still skim coat the entire car, wouldn't trade him for anything.

Bob

Na, don't get tired of it, just not so deserving sometimes. I don't like bondo, irritates the crap out of my body man. I mess with him every chance I get, and use a hammer instead of filler. Takes forever, but makes for nice parts. He will still skim coat the entire car, wouldn't trade him for anything.