latoracing

1970 Grabber Green Project

Nice work! I love it when a plan comes together. I also mounted my rear down bars in that location for the same reason.

Bob

Edited by RPM
correcting prediction/autospell or whatever it is called

Awesome job. When you did the convertible inner rockers, did you leave them boxed, or did you remove the vertical piece from them, since that piece is already on the car. Where did you purchase them from? Again, nice work.

Awesome job. When you did the convertible inner rockers, did you leave them boxed, or did you remove the vertical piece from them, since that piece is already on the car. Where did you purchase them from? Again, nice work.

Thanks for the compliments, it has been fun so far.

I didn't remove the old inner rocker vertical, so there are two pices of metal sandwitched together. That would have been a bunch of spot weld removing on a new part, but could be done if weight was a factor. I bought them from CJ Pony Parts

I know you spent a lot of time lowering your seat pans...do you think your head (with a helmet) is going to clear your overhead X brace?

Yes, with the seat pan slammed on the floor, I have over 2 inches to the bars. The X is spaced out to where there is a little more room over the driver's, and passenger's head. If I were not running these CR-1's, head room would not even be an issue. Worst case, I could get the seat bottoms redone to drop it down some more. I checked head rooom before I started the cage and attempted to keep it as high as possible. It sits about a half inch lower than a headliner.

Yes, with the seat pan slammed on the floor, I have over 2 inches to the bars. The X is spaced out to where there is a little more room over the driver's, and passenger's head. If I were not running these CR-1's, head room would not even be an issue. Worst case, I could get the seat bottoms redone to drop it down some more. I checked head rooom before I started the cage and attempted to keep it as high as possible. It sits about a half inch lower than a headliner.

I know you have a well thought out plan, I was more or less thinking out loud. Awesome Fab work!

I've been studying your pics, but can't quite tell what you did to the bottom of the inner rockers in the rear foot well area where you ended them. Are there any other pics?

I trimmed them to fit the torque box lid, there are more pics somewhere back there, (look around index 15) but this is the driver's side all welded up, before the floor was installed...

IMG_20130624_185128_zpsa3312e0e.jpg

just made a cardboard template, and removed / bent the inner rocker to fit. I actually played with some of the section I removed before screwing up a good part. You can also flange it, but I'm kinda anal. Hope this helps.

:punk:

Edited by latoracing
more info

Since it has been a month since I have touched my project, it was so nice to get back on it this afternoon. After stupidly long days building samples for the lovely shows that are going on out west, I need to relax. I also spent most of my weekend time finishing up my friend's mini tub project, I will be glad to see it go away.

I finally purchased some more tubing so I can finish up the rear of my cage. I only had the upper third of the X to finish notching and stick it in place. A little prep work and...

18e990c1-d94c-4354-9946-fb8d9aca488f_zps23f1f243.jpg?t=1401755778

ready to be a contortionist with my TIG torch and filler rod. I had to weld everything on the X since it was just tacked in place, except where the tube would cover a weld joint. (already took care of those places) After about a hour and a half of jumping around, and getting stuck in various places, all welded up,

fa37b510-b90d-43d7-a315-58ee85a57690_zpsad6af3e7.jpg?t=1401755857

except for the base plate areas, gona MIG those like the rest of the plates. Hopefully I will be able to get back going. I want to get moving on the cowl install and move on forward for some more mods.

Nice work and love the tight fit of those tube joints! I could be wrong, but I recall reading that a single diagonal is all that is needed on the rear cage and that the extra leg that makes it an X is just added weight.

Nice work and love the tight fit of those tube joints! I could be wrong, but I recall reading that a single diagonal is all that is needed on the rear cage and that the extra leg that makes it an X is just added weight.

Probably so, along with the use of a 1.5" x .095" wall tube would have been "legal" to use for any of the extra bracing. I am fairly certian that the halo X is slight overkill as well. I am not overly worried about the extra weight, just having fun. If I were to be weight conscientious all of this would have been 4130, and 1.5" tube. This is my first attempt at a full custom cage and I'm having a blast with it.

Now that it has been a couple of years, have any interior plans changed?

Dang, I feel like I should be much farther along with this project than what I am, two years have flown by. I have had a couple of hiccups along the way, like reusing the rear fiberglass interior panels, they will need some widening in order to fit back over those tubs. I have been debating (while I was stuffing the back of this car full of tubes) on either modifying the stock interior panels, or just build some sheet metal ones, and insulate them. I have had "tin" interiors before, don't want to go there with this one. Either way, this is how I had sorta envisioned the interior to be from the start, and kinda on track. As you might have seen in previous post, the stock dash is going back in the car, with some cosmetic upgrades, my Corbeau seats, a basic radio, carpet, and a custom "head liner" (if you want to call it that). Nothing fancy, all business.

I did get to finish making the rest of the bars for the main hoop this afternoon. Since I had fitted the diagonal bar the other night, all was left was the harness bars, witch are stuck in place with some magnets.

IMG_20140605_190324_zpszraraqtv.jpg?t=1401924760

The upper attachment point for the diagonal was interesting to say the least. A whole bunch of tubes, all in one place, just glad this is the final one in this area.

IMG_20140605_190510_zpsevnqpcso.jpg?t=1402011073

Need to check on how the harness tabs go on these bars before I fry all this portion in place, fixin' to look it up next.

Either type of harness attachment (wrap around or double shear) can be accomplished at a later date, so...

IMG_20140609_175943_zpsj4realju.jpg?t=1402268323

The end, well, for now. I want to install some kind of door bar, but there is still a bunch of work that has to be accomplished on the interior, and crawling over bars in the door ways might get aggravating. I'll have to see what I want to do in those two final areas, no rush.

I started making a tab for the pass. side of the cowl getting it ready to be welded in place. Went and bought some more primer, and some seam sealer today, just about ready to prime some more parts. About time!!!

Doing all the little items left in the cowl area before sticking it in place. I made a small attachment angle on the passenger side, and welded it in place. POR 15ed the inside of my fire wall due to the slight crunchiness of the area. Broke out the seam sealer and just about covered the entire inside of the outer kick panel areas. (not literally, but close) I had welded the fresh air flanges in and wanted to cover all the exposed welds with the seam sealer. I will let it set up for a bit then fill in any little air pockets that pop their way out while this stuff is curing. Between the several coats of POR 15 and this stuff, HOPEFULLY I have it sealed up, at least for a few years. I really need to prime a bunch of stuff, so I can get on with the program. I'll see what I can do about that after work tomorrow.

Such great work ! I won't pretend to know about interior roll bars, but curious if on the top roof corners if any of the joints could of been attached slightly in a different position so they don't all intersect at the same point ? That looks like some challenging welding.

Such great work ! I won't pretend to know about interior roll bars, but curious if on the top roof corners if any of the joints could of been attached slightly in a different position so they don't all intersect at the same point ? That looks like some challenging welding.

"In Theory" having all those tubes in one area makes for a very strong joint right over the driver's head. (and following the rule book for SOLO II) It wasn't that difficult to weld, but oh what fun to cope and fit. The goal was to support a bend area, (bends are weak) and have a continuous load path for the stresses to travel. This "exercise" was mainly for chassis strength, but highly functional if this thing ever lands on it's lid. Would I build it like this again, probably not. I am learning more and more about how to build this type of safety system, and how much work there is involved with pulling something like this off. Welding up side down is always a blast. Probably one of the best parts of the build, along with having this thing fit like I'd hopped made it all worth while.

Got the parts that I wanted primed completed yesterday afternoon. Shot the underside of the lower cowl and the inside part of the firewall / knee bar while it was easy access

IMG_20140618_165550_zps8nz8czcy.jpg?t=1403045061

IMG_20140618_165634_zpsgtrdi7ns-1.jpg?t=1403130787

Punched some more holes in the lower and positioned it in place.

IMG_20140618_174131_zpsaodpcuvt.jpg?t=1403130559

I didn't prime the upper part of the lower cowl. Figure I will have to touch it up a bunch after I grind all the welds down, as well as the seam sealing portion. If you notice the bare metal that the weld through primer didn't get close to the windshield area. Imagine sticking this thing on without doing anything to it. Probably wouldn't last long left like that. The under side of the upper is even worse. It will be all covered when I get done with it. Gota get to welding...

Edited by latoracing
Pic resize

It has been over a week, and I just now got enough time to get this welded in place. It didn't take long as there were not a bunch of welds to do. It did take some fitting on the edges, but they went right in place. Hopefully it doesn't take me another week to get back out there to grind those welds flat and prep the areas to get all covered up. Least it will not come off now!

IMG_20140627_195925_zpsealvstca.jpg?t=1403829985