Sign in to follow this  
Powershift

351w stroker intake for Shaker use

Hey guys, I know this has been discussed on the site before. But, what aftermarket intake do you guys suggest using on a stroker 315w which will enable me to retain the Shaker?

I will be having Keith Craft build me a 550hp stroker, and need to suggest an intake to them which will give me enough clearance for the Shaker. I need one which will still provide great performance for the stroker motor too. The order will be placed this week for the engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Check out Buckeyedemon's build thread you might get some ideas from there.

If you mean the Shaker he did extensive fabrication to in order to make it work, I was hoping for a much easier route. He did a GREAT job though!!

I would think your choice of engine is going to require a Vic Jr. or simliar intake. IMO anything you choose is going to need to be customized to set the shaker in the right spot. It was tough to do but this is why I poop canned my shaker and went with a scoop. I lack the skills of Buck lol.

I would think your choice of engine is going to require a Vic Jr. or simliar intake. IMO anything you choose is going to need to be customized to set the shaker in the right spot.

+1. A Vic Jr. is about a minimum requirement for an engine like this. A dual plane intake is going to be a compromise. I agree that any aftermarket intake is probably going to take a fair amount of modification.

OK, thanks guys! I was feeling the same way about having to use a Victor Jr, or similar intake, to support the high hp motor. Guess I'll have to do some fab work, as I WILL be retaining the Shaker. That's OK, I like projects, but was "hoping" for an easy answer. LOL

The Stealth has at least an inch of material at the carb mount area that can be milled lower if needed.

do you know if the same is true for an RPM Air Gap?

My apology I thought it was a 351w. You have a stroker which changes things up. I think the Edelbrock Torker II is the one you want. Below I copied and pasted the notes from the edelbrock site. Note that they claim the height is same as stock!

Installation Notes: Use 12-bolt intake gasket set (Edelbrock #7220 recommended). For van installations use OEM Ford "van" intake gasket set; will fit early 16-bolt head with Ford 16-bolt intake gasket set. 1" open carburetor spacer, our #8710, is recommended when hood clearance permits. Manifold height: A-3.55", B-4.75", same as stock, see A/B Measurements. Port exit dimensions: 1.02" x 1.82".

The weiand is taller and a dual plane: Height: Front 4.37", Rear 5.06"

Just a thought, but if you go with motor mounts like Ron Morris or build your own (see my build thread) you can lower your motor up to 1" to account for the increased intake height. You can shim the mounts to get the shaker sitting at your deemed perfect height. Anything over 1/2" drop will require a custom engine crossmember or shim blocks between the crossmember and the frame. Mine go up to 1" drop but the Ron Morris only goes up to 1/2". Just another tool in getting that shaker to work :)

Interesting video testing dual plane and single plane manifolds. At least on this motor the dual plane walks on the single. I don't know how the Performer RPM measurements compare to stock but with a small amount of milling it can be made to hold it's own against the RPM Airgap and the Vic Jr. Sorry about the Chevy motor lol.

Just a thought, but if you go with motor mounts like Ron Morris or build your own (see my build thread) you can lower your motor up to 1" to account for the increased intake height. You can shim the mounts to get the shaker sitting at your deemed perfect height. Anything over 1/2" drop will require a custom engine crossmember or shim blocks between the crossmember and the frame. Mine go up to 1" drop but the Ron Morris only goes up to 1/2". Just another tool in getting that shaker to work :)

Great advice. It didn't occur to me to adjust the hight of the actual engine.

Thanks!

OK, thanks guys! I was feeling the same way about having to use a Victor Jr, or similar intake, to support the high hp motor. Guess I'll have to do some fab work, as I WILL be retaining the Shaker. That's OK, I like projects, but was "hoping" for an easy answer. LOL

Have you check into using a Holley Strip Dom intake?

The original air gap style for C's and flows better than a VicJr.

Do they make that same intake for a 351w? I'm ditching the Cleveland, for a stroker 351w.

:hammer:.....:hammer:.....:hammer:

Don't think so for the W's.

:wacko:.... Why not redo the C?

Check out Network54, They are strokin them with great hp #s.

Great advice. It didn't occur to me to adjust the hight of the actual engine.

Thanks!

Send me a PM with your email address and I can send you the PDFs or CAD files of my mounts (free of course). Printed out on 8.5x11 paper, you can trace the drawings onto the steel, or use the CAD file for a water/laser jet. They really aren't too hard to make, just depends on how much you enjoy fabrication :thumbup:

:hammer:.....:hammer:.....:hammer:

Don't think so for the W's.

:wacko:.... Why not redo the C?

Check out Network54, They are strokin them with great hp #s.

I'm a fan of the Windsor based motors, and can build a monster power Windsor MUCH cheaper than a similar powered Cleveland.

I'm starting to see why so many have ditched the Shaker when doing a new project build. Not only does the intake manifold affect the Shaker placement, but I learned today the TKO-600 trans I'm going to run will also affect the angle of the engine a bit!

I am determined.... I WILL make the Shaker fit!! Buckeye, I may do something VERY similar to you after all!! HA HA!

Yea, I won't even mess with modifying the Shaker until the new motor and trans are in, and running.

Like you, I will retain the stock steering setup too. So, I may just order the same 1/2" lower engine mounts to see if that will help a bit. If I run into oil pan clearance issues with them I may just put stock height mounts back in, and focus on making the mods to the Shaker alone for fitment.

Edited by Powershift

The driveline angle change with the tko shouldnt affect the shaker angle much visually. A couple degrees is miniscule on a shaker scoop that is a foot long or so. I dont have a calculator handy to check though. Another added bonus of dropping the motor is a reduced driveline angle :)

Buckeye, my 1" drop meshed fine with my stock ps centerlink and the stock oil pan. Aftermarket oil pans may need clearanced, or you were just unlucky! Lol

my 1" drop meshed fine with my stock ps centerlink and the stock oil pan. Aftermarket oil pans may need clearanced, or you were just unlucky! Lol

i think unlucky. others haven't had to do that with the 1/2" drop for whatever reason (even with a TKO+Canton pan). the Canton pan i used claimed to be stroker clearanced, so maybe it sits a little lower in the center.

The driveline angle change with the tko shouldnt affect the shaker angle much visually. A couple degrees is miniscule on a shaker scoop that is a foot long or so.

in my experience it was a big deal.

the vic jr is a level intake. adding a few more degrees sticks the front edge of the air cleaner even higher (that air cleaner has to sit below the midplate) which was one of the biggest problems. it required squeezing every 0.1" i could find.

the secondary problem was that it caused the scoop to move closer to the back edge of the hood and also make it sit at a slight angle.

i wish i would have angle milled the carb flange. my engine didn't respond well to adding a spacer. i would speculate the engine powershift is building in the 550hp range probably wants that plenum volume of the victor plus some.

do the mod for yourself and you'll discover these little nuances.