1969 Mach1

1969 Mach 1 Correct Hood Finish

Years ago when my 1969 Mach 1 was painted I let the painter talk me into using a gloss black on the top of hood and hood scoop. The graphics layout is correct but it is gloss black. I have painted many cars when I was younger so I am thinking of pulling off the hood, hood scoop and grill that wiper arms pass through to repaint them with the correct black. What is correct, Satin Black, Semi Gloss Black, Flat Black? Does anybody out there know the correct black for the hood and hood scoop?

The hood/cowl black out is Mercedes flat black, Sherwin Williams Ultra 1, U-12739. It is suppose to be better, won't water spot, you can get wax on it and wipe it off, it won't leave a white film on the black. I will let everyone know how it really works.

This is not the original but very very close and as they say can be waxed.Ditzler or ppg is #9295 but nowdays tends to e a little glossy .If you find the right color black, you can get a flattening agent (talc and clear coat) that is mixed in in various quantities to get the amount of flat you want. If you go too far and get a white flash, you can spray with a little more clear and it will go away.

__________________These all have their merits I personally m going with the Mercedes flat since mine is a restomod and has a boss scoop instead of shaker or short boss mach 1 scoop since it feeds my new just dynoed 540 horse ,510ftlb 408 Windsor.

PPG (and probably others) makes a low gloss clearcoat that you spray over black basecoat. I used it on my car and it looks good. Wax is not supposed to bother it either.

I don't know the part number but I can get it tomorrow.

Tim

PPG (and probably others) makes a low gloss clearcoat that you spray over black basecoat. I used it on my car and it looks good. Wax is not supposed to bother it either.

I don't know the part number but I can get it tomorrow.

Tim

DCU 2060

any chance you could provide a picture or two and test with some wax (pic showing spot waxed would be great too!)?

i really need to spray some heavily flattened single stage and wax a part to see what happens.

I used SEM Hot Rod black and like it a lot. It's much like the other paints mentioned above that it doesn't need waxed and doesn't spot.

The hood stripes are the first thing people notice on my car. They love the flat black next to the glossy red.

Several of you mentioned wether or not wax has any issues with the paint. That was the painters argument for talking me into a gloss black. When I respray I would like to use an acrylic enamel since that is what the rest of the car was painted with. I originally wanted a two stage urethane but the painter argued the acrylic enamel was a more correct type of paint for a 1969 Mach 1. That logic makes sense but the clearcoat finishes still look better. Is anyone familiar with an acrylic enamel black with the correct sheen? And does wax cause any issues with it?

Sure wish I had painted my hood with one of the above paints. Having a real blackout hood is a pain and mine is already ruined from all the minute scratches and markings that otherwise wouldn't show.

i feel like you've told me before, but what was yours sprayed with?

i feel like you've told me before, but what was yours sprayed with?

The car was painted with PPG's premium paint (I'd have to look up the exact line, but it is their expensive stuff), but for the life of me I can't remember what the hood was done with. I'll find out, but probably not until Monday. It is a true flat paint with no clear coating or other type of protection on it. Looks good sitting still but has not been the most practical for everyday wear and tear.

Buckeye, my paint guy had some family stuff last weekend, and just didn't make it this weekend. Maybe next weekend......

Once it is buffed, it won't take but a day or so to finish the outside of the car.

It will see some road time this spring!

Tim

The hood/cowl black out is Mercedes flat black, Sherwin Williams Ultra 1, U-12739. It is suppose to be better, won't water spot, you can get wax on it and wipe it off, it won't leave a white film on the black.  

This is exactly what I used when I painted my '69 10 yrs ago. I think the link Chillininnh (what up Shawn) will show this also, pretty sure that is where I got my info, but the linky no work for me. I have taken my car to one judged show and they knocked me down for having the wrong hood paint, don't really care, it looks great and cleans up nice.

Still on the hunt for black out paint! Need to cross this off my list as I only have a few weeks before I need to paint the hood. As I mentioned in another post , I'm kinda picky as the car itself will be black and I want the contrast to really pop.

If some people could post pictures of their hood , I'd really appreciate it.

Dave