1969 Mach1

1969 Mach 1 Correct Hood Finish

I know it doesn't look like true black....but it is flat.

Not to hijack this thread, but if the green is supposed to be Black Jade, that looks too light of a green color to me.  Maybe it's just the light though.

The hood/cowl black out is Mercedes flat black, Sherwin Williams Ultra 1, U-12739. It is suppose to be better, won't water spot, you can get wax on it and wipe it off, it won't leave a white film on the black. I will let everyone know how it really works.

This is not the original but very very close and as they say can be waxed.Ditzler or ppg is #9295 but nowdays tends to e a little glossy .If you find the right color black, you can get a flattening agent (talc and clear coat) that is mixed in in various quantities to get the amount of flat you want. If you go too far and get a white flash, you can spray with a little more clear and it will go away.

__________________These all have their merits I personally m going with the Mercedes flat since mine is a restomod and has a boss scoop instead of shaker or short boss mach 1 scoop since it feeds my new just dynoed 540 horse ,510ftlb 408 Windsor.

I'm very interested in this paint, please post on it. A couple years ago, while attending the mid-American mustang meet in Tulsa, their was a red 69 Mach there that had a beautiful black out hood job. The black out paint had a mild texture and was a rich black. It was gorgeous! I tried to locate the owner but he never showed while I was there. I'm thinking that was painted with the Mercedes black.

I just got my Mach back from paint, weather and time permitting this weekend, will try to get some

pictures of it outside with the sun hitting it. I am very happy with it and several other folks with Machs said they got it right

I just got my Mach back from paint, weather and time permitting this weekend, will try to get some

pictures of it outside with the sun hitting it. I am very happy with it and several other folks with Machs said they got it right

Casey, Mach or Boss? Car in photos is a Boss 429, or so says the fender decals. If you had a Mach painted hood done, did you use the Mercedes black?

Thx,

John

Well I'll comment Mike. I like it, I really like it! Years ago I heard the Mercedes black tip. I checked it out in person and decided that's what I'd use on my hood. My hood is still not painted :(

I've posted this before and no one posted anything lol but anyways my brother has used the Mercedes black on his Mopar and it looks really really good and clean's up well. I'll be using it on my Mach. 

Mike, you got pics of your brothers Mopar? I would love to see them?

A little bit of an update. Local paint supplier took my Krylon 1613 paint and said it was closely matched by SEMS hot rod black. So....now it seems hot rod black might be the way to go for the engine compartment. But now what do I do for the black out hood option. Does anyone know if Mercedes flat black(sherwin Williams paint) is different enough from Hot rod black? My thought is that the engine compartment and shaker hood scoop(and trim ring )paint is the same.

Am I on the right track?

Dave

I have a matt black bonnet and the prvious owner has left a white circular mark on the bonnet. Looks like from the bottom of a bottle of polish. I have not had any luck cleaning it. Any suggestions? Apart from the obvious........to repaint it.

Years ago when my 1969 Mach 1 was painted I let the painter talk me into using a gloss black on the top of hood and hood scoop. The graphics layout is correct but it is gloss black. What is correct, Satin Black, Semi Gloss Black, Flat Black? Does anybody out there know the correct black for the hood and hood scoop?

It is not black, it is very dark blue and is no longer made . There are a lacquer and a urethane replica that are available from TCP global.

It is not black, it is very dark blue and is no longer made . There are a lacquer and a urethane replica that are available from TCP global.

I was present when my hood was re-painted, with the original paint, many years ago. It went on wet looking like a purplish blue color. I expressed some concern to the painter and he just laughed saying, "wait and see".  Sure enough, looked awesome when he was done. Barnett, that paint is still on my hood and it looks as black as any black I've ever seen. Color perception is an interesting thing!