Sign in to follow this  
Cruzzar

Cruzzar finally finished

Mike regarding the air cleaner pic. I will not make another foam mold for the top. This mold is showing that the bottom is done and I am about to glass right onto it to complete the top. It's really hard to glass both side of the air cleaner box at the same time so I do half at a time. That pic shows after I have one side done (the bottom) and about ready to do the other (the top). You can see the cut out area for the distributor has already been glassed. A little trick when doing something like this is to sand a low area into the foam where the glass is to overlap when glassing the second side. In other words, I wanted the sides of the air box to be flat when finished. When you glass one half of the box (either top or bottom) you will run your glass a little over the sides's center so when you glass the second side the glass will overlap the first side's glass a little (you'll scuff up the area where the second side's glass will make contact with the first's side glass to get a good bond). If the foam is perfectly flat to start with, when you put the two overlapping glass layups on, you will end up with a bulge instead of a flat side that will take a lot of filler to get flat. So, if you sand a low area into the foam where the two glass layups overlap the end result will be either a flat or a little low which can be fixed with a little filler. How much of a low area do you create in the foam is up to how many layers of glass are going to end up in that area. If you look at that pic you can see the low area that was sanded into the foam before I did the first layup. I hope this is clear.

p5300001a.jpg

Edited by Cruzzar

"Wow" is a good start. I envy your ability to make the parts you think about it.

I could ask a million questions but I'll limit myself to one: what size gauges are they? I like how they are close to the surface versus how deep the stock ones sit.

p5220030.jpg

"Wow" is a good start. I envy your ability to make the parts you think about it.

I could ask a million questions but I'll limit myself to one: what size gauges are they? I like how they are close to the surface versus how deep the stock ones sit.

p5220030.jpg

Ken, That isnt a stock gauge cluster panel so they might mount differently.

Mike.

Angel, Thanks for the complement.

gsxrken, The guages are Autometer guages, 2 5/8" and 5". The panel insert is made to attach to the stock plastic guage panel that I cut apart. The guages are set back into the insert a little more than the pic depicts. Here is a link to a former post showing a different angle. The post also has a link to how I built the insert (on the last page). http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=8270&highlight=cruzzar

I had the pleasure of looking over your mustang at the Knott's show this past Sunday, it is a true work of art. I was very impressed with the workmanship and quality, it was the class of the show in my opinion. Thanks for inspiring the rest of us to finish building our dream projects!

Edited by xplane

Personally, I don't get into these type of mods, as I prefer a more stock look. This, however, is an incredible build and done in good taste. Love the Ghost images and your work with the fiberglass is awesome. You must be very proud and rightly so.

John

Wow is all I can say. I saw Cruzzar's car today in Bakersfield. The photos don't do it justice. This car is beeeauuuuuuutiful. There may be a flaw in it somewhere, but I didn't see one. Top shelf job on it, congrats. Did you win an award today, you were in an area that had many winners?

Thanks for all of the complements guys. I got the NSRA Streetscene Pick. There will be some pics of it in their monthly magazine in a few months when they cover the Western Nationals event in Bakersfield.