RPM

The Bitch is Back!

Awesome fabrication skills, can't wait to see this completed. It's been a while coming I see but you can't rush perfection :)

Thanks for the kind words, but trust me, it's far from perfect. But I figure anything I do is better than Ford did in San Jose on 1/22/1969.

Looking at those photos, Bob, I get the feeling this is not your first time fabricating? hehe. Very nice work!

As far as cars it is my first rodeo. Half my life ago I did build from scratch with hand tools a couple of road racing karts from 1-1/4 x .095 4130 round tube.

Control arms turned out nice (again lol). Looks like these will be able to take a beating, much goodlier. Top notch, as always!

You've got to do something fun with the exhaust, you just don't know what you're missing out on.

Again, yes thanks Mike. The other day my brother asked me, now how many sets of front arms did you fab, and can I buy a set? Sheesh, only 2 sets.

I thought mighty hard about doing ss headers. But after pricing all that stainless, yikes! I recently had the front control arms zinc plated. Out of curiosity I asked the plating shop what they would have charged to chrome them. Oh, about $800.

post-5441-0-13974700-1460165060.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, but trust me, it's far from perfect. But I figure anything I do is better than Ford did in San Jose on 1/22/1969.

As far as cars it is my first rodeo. Half my life ago I did build from scratch with hand tools a couple of road racing karts from 1-1/4 x .095 4130 round tube.

Again, yes thanks Mike. The other day my brother asked me, now how many sets of front arms did you fab, and can I buy a set? Sheesh, only 2 sets.

I thought mighty hard about doing ss headers. But after pricing all that stainless, yikes! I recently had the front control arms zinc plated. Out of curiosity I asked the plating shop what they would have charged to chrome them. Oh, about $800.

Just curious. What is the advantage of hooking the shock to the lower control arm instead of the upper? Besides looks. I would think it would change the way the suspension feels.

Just curious. What is the advantage of hooking the shock to the lower control arm instead of the upper? Besides looks. I would think it would change the way the suspension feels.

You nailed it with looks! What else is there? As my dad used to say, "If it don't go, chrome it".

Seriously though, by mounting the lower shock at the outer end of the longer lower arm, it changes the ratio on the spring which allows the use of smaller and lighter springs. However the looks did have a lot of influence. My initial plan was to just use bushings/bearings at the pivot points. Several changes later I ended up with new front and rear suspensions. After the time and dollars spent I certainly hope it changes the way the suspension feels. I do remember driving with the stock worn out front end and not really liking the floating feeling and lack of response. Having raced karts half my life ago, I knew I wanted something better for the Mustang. Hopefully not too harsh, but with much more feel, response and driveability. Then again, it just might be a perpetual project :)

I think it will change ride feel. You changed the angle of the shock by mounting it to the lower control arm. It wont affect caster camber or toe. But I bet it changes the bump and rebound response of the suspension.  I would bet it will feel more stable.

I am no physics major so don't quote me on this. But with my limited understanding of it I think it will change something.

I went with the roller spring perches on mine. They made a huge difference. The suspension feels a lot firmer.

You are going to actually drive it? I thought they were just something to work on, not actually drive lol.

Wow, that will be awesome! If I was that close I wouldn't sleep till I took it out.  We expect lots of details.

Congrats!!!!!

Aren't all classic cars perpetual projects.

I am in a love hate relationship with mine. Prime --- Block --- Prime --- Block --- Prime --- Block. Dont worry you are almost done. Prime and block some more. Until you get it perfectly straight. I will never complain about seeing a wavy car in the car show again. getting them laser straight is a lot of work. Got my fingers crossed on painting this weekend.

Please let us know how your GOOD!!! suspension feels when you get to drive it.

Woo hoo!

It's Wednesday here. I'm closer to Thursday than you are. haha

Slow down you people! I said Thursday, but not which Thursday.  I hope to get it rolling before I visit N. Carolina in October. We'll see. But don't hold your breath.

Hopefully you'll hear from me after its first drive. If you don't it'll be either from a crash and burn or I haven't turned around to come home.

Don't do like I did on my my first drive.

I modified the steering column for my rack and pinion but left the old mounting system in place, The little rectangular plastic pieces that hold the column to the dash do not work very well when you use a short column. I hit the brakes and the whole column wound in my lap. Luckily I was on the back roads and traveling slow. I was able to stop before I went into a ditch. Another foot and the car and I would have been in really bad shape. Talk about a shot of adrenaline. It took me several minutes to recover and put it back together to get home.

Well, been a while since the last update. Been working on a bunch of small projects that when completed allowed me to fire up the motor in the car for the first time. I bought an exhaust kit thru Summit of 2-1/2" mid steel Thrush turbo mufflers. I temporarily dumped them at the rear axle as taking them out the back or dumping them in front of the rear tires will take more time now than I want to spend. The mufflers look off in the pic, but they're dead nuts on height wise.

The dash cover is ready to drop in. I waited till I had all the electrical and heater vents installed and checked. The stereo deck is wired and bolted in ready to blast. Surprisingly the tranny shifts thru all the gears. Could not find type F atf anywhere in town and ordered it online.

I was concerned with a few items up front. After I bought the Speed Demon 750 around 10-15 years ago I read many online posts about not being able to tune it and keep an engine running. Turned out crap was left in the carbs at the factory. I cleaned out and rebuilt it. It starts right up and runs aok. The electric fans from MikeStang function great with the Spal relays. It hasn't gone over 195* idling or revving.

I'm pretty happy with how things have gone. Time to bolt on some sheet metal, have the front and rear glass installed and bolt a seat in.

post-5441-0-75165200-1466727835.jpg

post-5441-0-08660800-1466727936.jpg

post-5441-0-55901000-1466728180.jpg

Ya Ash it did fit pretty well, but I had to make a 2" filler piece at the bottom. I'm down for that Jim, but after seeing your work in person you may just want me to sweep the floors.

My 69 Mach One traveled down the neighborhood road today under its own power for the first time since 1999. I did a couple of laps to make sure the rebuilt fmx (2000), brakes and suspension worked as planned, which they did. Guess I was expecting some kind feeling of accomplishment or sense of relief, but nuttin. Maybe it'll happen when I install the front body panels, front and rear glass and a few other pieces. I do have a few minor issues to straighten out before I'm burning rubber. All in all it was a productive day.

The knuckleheads who took two videos have yet to send them to me, so this pic will have to do for now.

post-5441-0-64673500-1469342471.jpg

Guess I failed to update the trunk work. Finished up the carpet for what is a modern look I suppose. My son was all in, me on the other hand, meh. Angles in the pics look off, but they're good.

post-5441-0-80403500-1469400689.jpg

post-5441-0-95164200-1469400754.jpg

post-5441-0-39753300-1469400813.jpg