RPM

The Bitch is Back!

Unilec, I don't think they have dies big enough for exhaust tubing, nor is the bender made with enough room for for larger tube.

Damn, Ridge Runner, I just barely got it bolted together last night to take pics, slow down! It does bend very easily! The hardest part is removing the latch on the air line valve. Is so nice to stand over the degree wheel to hit your mark, who'd a thunk! I was concerned how accurate you could fine tune the bend with the air valve for no apparent reason. Just a blip on the valve moves it less than a degree.

Based on the sharpness of the first pic, I think my Parkinson's disease is returning. Sorry bout that.

post-5441-0-32752300-1437508546.jpg

post-5441-0-28695800-1437508616.jpg

post-5441-0-09765400-1437508650.jpg

The trick will be figuring out how to mount the return spring .The 90 lbs is not enough .

I bought wheels for a portable stand this morning ,now i have to build the stand

Yeah , when i think about the time and energy i waisted using thing manually when you just pull the trigger and away it goes .

I have a foot feed i will be putting on mine for hand free use .

I really like the foot pedal idea. Swag has one but it looks funky, it sits off the floor. The ones I've used on power shears and punches sit flush on the floor, with a guard over your foot.

This is fun stuff, but I really need to get to work on the Mach One.

Damn, you do nice work. Jim, I thought you were going to make 2 of those. I'll take mine in plain steel, thank you! Nothing rusts here indoors, especially if you hit with some wd40.

As I made a stand mounted to the shop floor, I see I have another side job for the mobile bender stand. Sheesh, you're killing me Jim! Just gotta make it mobile though. Maybe I'll make a vise stand from the mounted tube.

F that!

"There are a few things we hold dear in our life.

Like the tools of our trade, or our dear little wife.

So please don't ask to borrow my tools,

and I won't ask to borrow your wife."

F that!

"There are a few things we hold dear in our life.

Like the tools of our trade, or our dear little wife.

So please don't ask to borrow my tools,

and I won't ask to borrow your wife."

Best advice my Grandfather ever gave me "never let anyone borrow your tools, car or wife. They will always come back f##ked"

I just have to take it apart and paint it ,and i will be ready to start on a new pre runner .

attachicon.gif_MG_5095.JPG

I think i may add one more shelf down at the bottom. It is nice to have short pieces of bends in different degrees to figure out the correct bend in a roll cage ,bottom shelf for different degree bends and the top shelf for bender parts ,level and what evet tools that may be needed .It is heavy ,but rolls very easy .I figure the weight will keep it from tipping over with a long tube in the bender .

It will be a while before i build any thing .I just had this bender here for about 3 years now and got tired of bending by hand .

I want to build another Pre runner /Ford off road pick up but i have to find one first .I have a 78 but i would have to smog that so i am looking for a pre 75 .hopefully a 66. I have bent all my scraps though :) Bob has been quiet ...I bet he is building some high tech cart for his bender in secret .

Truth be told, I've only walked thru the shop and looked at my stuff. Busy with home projects. Many home projects :(

Yeah Mike, rub it in. Speaking of somebody being quiet, I haven't seen an update on your bad arse ride in a while :)

Two months without a progress update is pathetic. I have been working on (boring stuff) installing the wiring harness which Midlife reconditioned. I just about have the under dash and tail light harnesses done. I also cleaned up, painted and installed the wiper assembly. 

I liked how folks have cleaned up the engine bay by running the engine wiring harness on the outside of the fender apron. I liked it so much I decided to do mine that way.

IMG_20150906_152859_zpsnpryl2ck.jpg

IMG_20150906_152825_zpsg3o10rea.jpg

The wiper linkage rubber and bronze pivot on the motor arm was toast and I discovered if you need one you have to buy the $125 linkage assembly. I made one from oil impregnated bronze bushings for a few bucks.

IMG_20150913_211505_zpsnhyi2iao.jpg

wiper%20pivot%20bushing-2000573_5-1028_z

My brother gave me some roll around tires to check for fit. They are 245/40-18 fronts and 275/35-18 rears on my 8" wheels. I'll probably go with this combo. I've got a good 2-1/2" more room for rubber, but I'd need to get custom backspace wheels, which ain't gonna happen for a while.

IMG_20150913_203750_zpsrq8s45ja.jpg

IMG_20150913_201449_zpsb4zm52w9.jpg

IMG_20150913_201315_zpsgi9kz3wa.jpg

Thanks Mike. More than once I almost posted a smart arse comment on your build thread due to no updates. Then I would think about my car and better judgement would prevail :)

Progress on any front is better than none.  All my progress is put towards someone else's project lately. (which is getting closer to completion)  I do know that it will help with my project, and it's progression a little bit farther down the road.

How much room do you have between your front tire and the fender lip?

You have tons of room. When turn tight to either side my front fender lip will touch the tire if I sit my heavy butt on the fender. I have about 3/16 inch clearance with no extra weight. I Have driven it a few time and am surprised that they don't rub.

Nice looking wheels. They don't look out of place, like some. They look like they could have been a factory option. What are they off of?

Progress!!! Who needs it.

I just spent my weekend second guessing myself and going backwards. I think we all spend some percentage of our project "Spinning our wheels". Either when we drive it or work on it.

For me, there are times I don't update because the progress is really not much to see. The differences will only show in the finished product and probably would not show on camera.

For Example I would not post up progress like "Today I block sanded the body and then primed it again" From the pictures it looks like I did nothing. 

Most people I talk to look at me like I am crazy because I have primed and blocked 3 times. Except the guys that understand why I did it this way.

Here is a picture of the front left tire on a tight left turn...

post-10355-0-53904000-1442360627.jpg

Got me laughin' there...

Mine changes all of the time. We have an 2000 square foot house and my wife and I spend most of our time in the garage. I told her that when we get ready to retire we need to find a huge shop with a kitchen, and a bathroom and we would be set. Either that or a huge shop and one of those tiny houses.

I think I rearrange my garage more than I work on the mustang.