Sign in to follow this  

Tire sze

Question for you guys

What is the largest tire width that will fit without rubbing on a 70 mustang ?

I know 275-280s work but I was thinking

Mickey Thompson ET street radial in 325/50/15

If they will fit without tubbing what backspacing will it take ?

thank you

it's not just tubbing, you have to check the tire to suspension clearance as well.

this is my setup: 275tires, 9" rims, 5.25 backspacing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4822&d=1243110833

and to be honest, i don't think 325/50/15 will work without some modifications

Question for you guys

What is the largest tire width that will fit without rubbing on a 70 mustang ?

I know 275-280s work but I was thinking

Mickey Thompson ET street radial in 325/50/15

If they will fit without tubbing what backspacing will it take ?

thank you

Nope, won't fit. I have 275/60/15's in the back on my 70. I run 15x8 rims with 4 1/2" backspace. I had to roll my fender lips to get them to work. They're fairly close to the leaf springs. As far as the fronts go, you won't get anything bigger than maybe a 225 or 235 tire without hitting the upper balljoint. Some guys with 17" wheels can get bigger tires on the front.

it's not just tubbing, you have to check the tire to suspension clearance as well.

this is my setup: 275tires, 9" rims, 5.25 backspacing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4822&d=1243110833

and to be honest, i don't think 325/50/15 will work without some modifications

Thank you Great pic....Looks like a 295 could be coaxed in But 275 is safe

Thank you

Before you hit the leave springs you'll hit the inner front wheel well in most cases. Of course rear end housing width and back spacing play into all this.

Just FYI this has been a great resource for me while trying to figure out fitment and get a visual. Drop in the specs and see what it looks like. You can even make you a cardboard cutout and see how it works then.

http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp

-Stephen

I have 8 x 19" wheels on the front with 4.75" backspacing. On the rear, the backspacing with 10" wheels would have been 6.75" with the stock rear end. I wanted more dish in the wheels so I used the shorter 1965-66 rear end and ended up with 5.75" backspacing.

Before you hit the leave springs you'll hit the inner front wheel well in most cases.

exactly, i just wanted to point out that even with tubbing you have to keep an eye on the suspension as well.

by the way, i bought my wheels from the site you mentioned :biggrin:

I have 295 50 15 on mine but I have a Lincoln versailles rearend with 15 by 10 magnum 500s had to coax the inner front wheel well in a little with a dead blow it popped right in and has a good 1 1/2 clearance with wieght on wheels.

I have 295 50 15 on mine but I have a Lincoln versailles rearend with 15 by 10 magnum 500s had to coax the inner front wheel well in a little with a dead blow it popped right in and has a good 1 1/2 clearance with wieght on wheels.

You have 295 50/15 on the front ?

and no clearnace issues on the rear ?

Mike, I am in the Houston area. I have the Air Ride Technologies Airbar 4 link suspension. My backspacing measurements were taken with stock suspension. The 4 link gives you more room than leaf springs but the stock wheel house was also the limiting factor.

Next time I come to Houston I would love to come check that thing out :)

I have relatives in Crosby, and Im going to have to go to John's Mustang again soon, Had a small bulge in the new hood I got from him, and one of the bolt holes was stripped out...I hope he will replace it for free. I inspected the parts before I loaded them but its hard to see this kinda dmg till u put it on :(

Your car looks great thus far, I was considering the a 4 Link and still am but dont know if its worth spending the green on.

But your saying those wheels will fit in there with the stock suspension on huh? WOW I like that.

Mike

Yes, those should fit a stock car. Always measure before you buy. Even better if you can get a test wheel. The car is at my brother's shop right now. Hopefully it will be sprayed soon and ready to be assembled. I hope to have it finished this summer. I'll let you know when it is back.

I just bought 10 x 20" Bonspeed wheels for my resto with 295/30/20 tires. It barely fits without tubbing.

So what tire size and backspacing did you use to make these fit? Im in a 70 vert with Heidts Mustang II in the front and Heidts 4-link in the rear, coilovers all-around

Thanks!

Mike

I spoke with the fellows from the above listed website and told them i was looking for a certian wheel in a 20x10 for the rear and 20x8.5 for the front and this is what they recomended.

20x10 Wheel with 6.25" Back Space, and a 255-30-20 tire for the rear

20x8.5 Wheel with 5.25" Back Space and a 225-30-20 Tire for the front.

Also my rear is 1" wider than a stock rear for a 69 Mach 1, it cam out of a 71 or 72, so its 1/2" wider per side, and the guy said this would actually work in my favor.

I rolled one fender lip already and can do the other if I need to since the car has no suspension under it....

Planning a Shelby drop with 1" lower coils in the front and what ever drop I have to put on the rear to get it level with leaf springs.

SO here is the question, Yall think these monsters will fit under the car ?

Mike

Dubs? I dont know if they will fit right but with a thin enough tire, I dont see why not. Your car is going to be really high off the ground though. Is the car more for show? Because if its for function, I wouldnt recommend using 20's. But if its just for show or for cruizing, then hey, go for it.

if you like the looks and your fully aware that you have to drive extra carefull not to damage the rims or the tire..... you might want to give it a try.

if i would want to have a 26.1" wheel diameter, i would probably go for 295/35R18.

the wider tire can save your rim from scratches if you get to close to the curb while parking and the higher sidewall gives you comfort and might save your rim from deformation if you run over a pothole.

(last fall, i broke a 500$ rim on my daily this way.)

in both cases, you might have to tweak the inner fender well.

They dont make the wheel that im looking at in a 19" :( so no staggering to a 19, but I could go 18" in front....May just do 18's all the way around but I LOVE the way your CAr Looks CG.....This car is a Cruiser/Show car....Only will be driven on weekends and if my wife and I decide to go to an out of town Show......and anytime I just feel the need to be the cool old guy LOL.....So i would say probably 10-15 days out of the month it will be driven LOL

How do you figure that the car will be sitting up High? From all of the other pictures of cars on this site with the drops I listed most of the cars appear to be almost too low LOL...I dont want to go to the Scraping the coast Shows, this thing isnt a Mini Truck haha

Mike

what's your current tire size?

225/30/20 -> 25.4"

255/30/20 -> 26.1"

do you want your front tires to have a smaller diameter?

18" alternative with the same size:

235/40/18 -> 25,4"

295/35/18 -> 26.1"

other 18" alternatives:

255/40/18 -> 26.0"

295/35/18 -> 26.1"

225/45/18 -> 25.9"

285/35/18 -> 25.9"

side notes:

black rims will look small even if you go with 20"

my front wheels are 235/40/18, so this might give you an impression how it looks -> http://www.grendelmeier.ch/uscar/holziken2009/slides/IMG_1431.jpg