Sign in to follow this  
70mstang

70 Convertible Project

Sorry for long delay in updates, but basically I've been working on the gauges. I ran into a sender issue with the speedometer and have everything temporarily wired up and hoping to see if the speedo will calibrate this afternoon, if the weather holds out.

Latest gauge update...

I was getting some funny readings on my temperature & gas gauges. The temperature was always showing about 1oo degrees and bounce around, where the gas gauge was always empty. I triple checked the new wiring diagrams New Vintage sent and everything was correct.

So after playing around with them, it turned out, the gas gauge was wired to the temp & temp was wired to the gas up inside the guage.

Since the gas is wired with a resistor to compensate for the difference in resistance between the GM style gauges & factory style fuel level sender, I had to go in and switch the wiring after resister to get things to work. So NOW the temp & fuel gauges work correctly. YAY!! Success!!

I contacted NV and they are making sure they follow up to keep wiring mishaps from happening.

My voltmeter had to have it's own 12v source and dedicated ground. So I think I have it working now. Possibly just my car is like this since I have a lot of modifications.

Edited by 70mstang

I finally have the speedometer issue corrected! To get it to work, on my car at least, I needed to run a dedicated keyed 12v source to the sender, since I have an AAW harness I have about 30 of em. LOL

So I can finally finish putting in my dashboard!!!

I'll get pics and maybe a video later on :yes:

alright! im sure ill need to do similar with my T56 sending unit and Auto meter gauges with AAW harness.... thanks for the info! :thumbup: looking forward to the video!

I finally have the speedometer issue corrected! To get it to work, on my car at least, I needed to run a dedicated keyed 12v source to the sender, since I have an AAW harness I have about 30 of em. LOL

So I can finally finish putting in my dashboard!!!

I'll get pics and maybe a video later on :yes:

Well my video didn't quite turn out.. Didn't have my son around to help me with the camera so it was all shaky, I'll try again when we both have some time. Here's a pic till then:

[ATTACH]10448[/ATTACH]

The New Vintage gauges work great! It's really nice to know how fast you're going =) If anyone else is in the market, speak with Mark over at NV. He's great to work with and really helped me out a lot!

So this weekend I went looking for a stereo, something with a good amount of power that I can hear with the top down, at least in 5th gear LOL. Car ran great, I do get a lot of spitting & misfire when I stomp on the gas, so just keeping it fairly moderate driving.

I get to the stereo shop and I'm not sure what I did, but the door mechanism is stuck and the door won't open. DANG IT!! So I hop over the door, Like Bo & Luke Duke and pick out a nice stereo, sub, amp & all around speakers.

So this weekend I needed to get the trunk ready. I put down FatMat and pnuematic lifts for the trunk. Here's some pics.

[ATTACH]10445[/ATTACH][ATTACH]10446[/ATTACH][ATTACH]10447[/ATTACH]

I spent a lot of time working on the door latch, replaced the locking mechanism, realigning the striker and now it's worse, even though I had it working OK before putting all the interior pieces back on. Always something huh?

Edited by 70mstang

After swapping out the door locking mechanism, the door was all out of alignment, just horrible. I played with the striker to see it I could get it to line up better. I finally got it to an acceptable alignment but the door was very hard to open. I went back to put all of the interior back in and the dang door wouldn't open, at all. So I cleaned up the original lock and soaked it in mystery oil. I checked it over real good and figured it was a better fit than the aftermarket POS. I put it back in and dang everything lined up, the door works great. :clap:

You can't tell from the pics how cool the trunk lift is now. I added the pnuematic lifts. Mustangs Unlimited part number TLK2. They are supposedly made for 65 - 68, but I just drilled through all the way through the supports and the bolts went all the way through with no problem. The only minor problem I ran into was the little screws the supply are not beefy enough to hold the bracket down.

Here's a vid.

Dropped off my girl at the stereo shop (Megamaxx) this morning, 35 degrees and snow flurries. Could of sworn I was in GA!

Getting a Pioneer DEH-4300UB, 5" speakers in the doors, 6" in the quarter trim panels, 10" sub in the trunk with amp. They'll add porting through the wheel wells to get the sound back through since the convertible top is in the way. Put in an MDF floor, beauty panels and cover it all with black carpeting. I'll get pics when I see her again.

Was fun driving again, getting a little sticking in the rear brakes though this morning. Will check her out next weekend.

Dropped off my girl at the stereo shop (Megamaxx) this morning, 35 degrees and snow flurries. Could of sworn I was in GA!

Getting a Pioneer DEH-4300UB, 5" speakers in the doors, 6" in the quarter trim panels, 10" sub in the trunk with amp. They'll add porting through the wheel wells to get the sound back through since the convertible top is in the way. Put in an MDF floor, beauty panels and cover it all with black carpeting. I'll get pics when I see her again.

Was fun driving again, getting a little sticking in the rear brakes though this morning. Will check her out next weekend.

I really like the lift supports and may have missed this in an earlier posting, but did you install these to free up the space where the spring goes across the top of the trunk, or is there another reason?

I really like the lift supports and may have missed this in an earlier posting, but did you install these to free up the space where the spring goes across the top of the trunk, or is there another reason?

The fiberglass trunk lid wouldn't close evenly, I tried adjusting the tension on the prop rod but no matter what I did the right hand side of the trunk was about half an inch higher than the left side. The lifts handled it nicely.

The fiberglass trunk lid wouldn't close evenly, I tried adjusting the tension on the prop rod but no matter what I did the right hand side of the trunk was about half an inch higher than the left side. The lifts handled it nicely.