Sign in to follow this  
70mstang

70 Convertible Project

I don't have any pics of the process they used, sorry.

They took the door apart in layers, since around the corners are 2 to 3 layers of metal to give the strength. They replaced any rusted metal just cutting new pieces to fit. When it came to the outer shell it took quite a while to hammer the metal to fit almost perfectly and then welded into place. Any blemishes were covered with "kitty hair" fiberglass and smoothed. It's strong enough to withstand the door opening and closing and won't crack like filler if it bumps somewhere down the road.

yeah I just scrapped a pair of 70 doors that were much better than those because they had speaker holes hacked in them. The speaker holes combined with the rust was just too much to deal with. I have two other sets anyway. good luck with the repairs.

While I was at Mustang Week in Myrtle beach I saw a pair of fairly nice door for around $300. They would have needed work but not near the work that I had done. If they weren't already 80% done with my doors I would have bought those and ebay'd the repops.

Small update, hopefully I can get by the shop today to see my car and add some more up to date pics.

I'll be getting a shipment from Mustangs Unlimited today and my order from NPD came in yesterday.

Just some necessities... LED Sequential tail light kit, Mach 1 exhaust tips, pnuematic trunk lift kit, Boregson P/S kit & pump. A bunch of other little things.

The car is getting very close to being painted.

[ATTACH]7202[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7203[/ATTACH]

Got my tires mounted on the Coy 67s

[ATTACH]7204[/ATTACH]

That one you see is the original. The aftermarket POS I tried to put on was too short and not square, the lip for the window felt was too thin so if I had somehow got it to work, my window would have rattled enormously.

The skin that they put on the door still had a little work that needed to be done to it. The bottom was about 1/4' too short so they are adding metal to the bottom of the door so it will fill the gap better. But overall the door lines up beautifully now.

Slow going on the body work these days. Here's a small update on the doors.

The passenger door is all but done. The new metal added to the bottom of the door looks great. Can't even tell the skin was a little short.

[ATTACH]7413[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7414[/ATTACH]

They added some metal to the drivers door to get the gap just right. Also we found the drivers rear quarter wasn't perfectly in line with the door and there was no more adjustments that could be made so the welds were drilled out and the panel was pushed in a little further to match up.

[ATTACH]7415[/ATTACH]

Getting spray outs for the gold racing stripes to pick the perfect color next.

Last coat of primer :tongue:

[ATTACH]7522[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7523[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7524[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7525[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7526[/ATTACH]

So .. today ... the plan is for this coming week is..

Monday .. get paint

Wednesday, start putting color on the jams, engine compartment & trunk

Spray the gold for stripes .. tape off the stripes and get ready for the green

Next Saturday .. COLOR ..

Hopefully the plan will cooperate LOL

Finally! The car is ready and paint is flowing.

They sprayed the underside of the hood & trunk lid.

Should see the inside of the doors next... then comes the engine compartment, door jams & trunk.

Till then, here's some pics of the progress

[ATTACH]7651[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7652[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7653[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7654[/ATTACH]

I'm getting really excited! Every day is something new :tongue_smilie:

Yep, After the jams are done and the car is reassembled the gold will be put down first and we'll tape off the stripes across the top & sides.

Wheels .. 17" Coy 67s .. they are similar to the Halibrand style but nicer looking. IMO :tongue:

[ATTACH]7656[/ATTACH]

Quick update.. this was after the 2nd coat of green. After this they laid down the clear coats.

[attach]7686[/attach] [attach]7687[/attach] [attach]7688[/attach] [attach]7689[/attach]

They laid down a base of black so the green would be a nice deep shade of green versus lime green =)

Next is reassembly and colors for the body of the car.

The color combo is going to look real sharp! One suggestion though if your painter tries to talk you into it like some folks I have seen, do not go over the top and paint the stripes on the under side of the hood, firewall and trunk lid. I've seen that done on a few cars one 67' that was actually your same color combo, it even had the trunk carpet with the stripes laid in and even though it's a personal preference I think it just ruins it and looks tacky, not amped up and super custom as I am sure was the original intention.

BTW, what color rag top are you going with?

I had teased with the idea of the stripes under the hood but I came to the same conclusion .. just too dang much LOL.

For the top I am still undecided if it will be tan or ginger.

I'm also still choosing between ginger , cream or sadlle interior. The car originally had a white top with ginger interior which looked fine, but I like the color combo of this Bently. Minus the intersting stiching.

[ATTACH]7693[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7694[/ATTACH]

Thanksgiving slowed us down .. too much turkey :tongue_smilie:

Car is going back together for the final paint. Here's some updates...

[ATTACH]7765[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7761[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7762[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7763[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7764[/ATTACH]

Finally the color is going on!

Pardon the fuzzyness, paint was still hovering in the air when I was snapping the shots. The guys put on 4 coats of clear and will finish rubbing it out tomorrow to be sent home on Wednesday :biggrin:

[ATTACH]7807[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7808[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7809[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7810[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]7811[/ATTACH]