Wagss84

Rear bumper

I'm having  problems fitting my rear bumper.  It didn't fit correctly before paint, but it was also installed wrong.  (Bracket upside down and no wave washers). It still rotates down.  I'm not sure if the bumper or brackets are damaged. Or maybe I'm missing parts?

I Attached the wave washers and bumper to the bracket, and the bracket to the car. 

Any one have the same problem? Ideas?

IMG_1701.JPG

IMG_1700.JPG

I had the same issue, new mounting kits and both the old and new bumper did not seem to fit properly. Too far away and angled down. 

tn_20161030_143123.jpg

I ended up cutting a section out of the mounting bracket on each side to bring it up and in.

tn_20161030_143826.jpgtn_20161030_154004.jpgtn_20161030_174551.jpgtn_20161101_121012.jpg

This made the bumper fit a lot closer and solved that downward sag that it seemed to have.

tn_20161030_214001.jpgtn_20161030_214035.jpgtn_20161030_214047.jpg

See all the full sized photos here: http://redshost.com/gt350/index077.html

Is there any damage where the bumper brackets bolt to the body?  Are you using reproduction or OEM brackets?  If the body and brackets are not damaged, and they are OEM brackets, I'd suspect its the bumper, twisted or bolt holes in the wrong location.  I'm not a fan of cutting and reworking stuff to fit until you understand the cause.

2 hours ago, 1969_Mach1 said:

Is there any damage where the bumper brackets bolt to the body?  Are you using reproduction or OEM brackets?  If the body and brackets are not damaged, and they are OEM brackets, I'd suspect its the bumper, twisted or bolt holes in the wrong location.  I'm not a fan of cutting and reworking stuff to fit until you understand the cause.

In my case the back of the car is new Dynacorn sheet metal. So there is always a chance that things were not welded perfectly. The brackets are repro from NPD, but look the same as the ones from CJ Pony.

bbr3_1.5.jpg

2 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

I have had to twist the two mounting tabs on the brackets to get bumpers to fit correctly .lock the bracket in a vise and a cresent wrench will easily twist the tabs

You must either have different brackets, or a really big vice and crescent wrench. My brackets are too thick to bend that way. If I tried that, I'd distort the central bumper mounting section.

tn_20161101_121012.jpghttp://redshost.com/gt350/imgpages/image1185.html

I also made it so my bumper can fit much closer than stock, or add all the washers (maybe add some) to push it out some.

NPD usually has good repro parts.  I've always used NPD for reproduction parts.  But they are likely the same as what CJ sells.  In my experience with many small repro parts, for any particular part, only one mfg. is making it.  So all vendors sell the same item.

If all looks okay, I'd follow Ridge Runner's suggestion of bending the tabs on the brackets.