machm1970

Monte Carlo bar question

I bought and installed an export brace and Monte Carlo bar today. The export brace is Scott Drake, good quality and fits well. The monte Carlo bar isn't Drake and is filmsy garbage, the holes aren't even in the right location. The Monte Carlo bar is listed as fitting 65-70. I see others that are specific to 69-70. Does anyone have one you like that fits well? I don't want to waste money on more junk.

Thanks,

Matt

I got the Scott Drake one.  Fits well.  Chrome quality could have been a little better in some spots, but the holes did line up.  If your shock towers are coming in, you might have to "persuade" it with a rubber mallet to go down in all the way.  I got the curved version to ensure distributor and oval air cleaner clearance with my 428.

I've got your bar's twin sitting on a shelf Matt. Instead of leaving on your shelf for 15+ years like me, I'd call them, tell then the bolt holes don't align with the factory holes, and they should pay for return shipping. I'm tired of crap parts that don't fit. I ended up making a Monte Carlo bar.

If your shock towers are coming in, you might have to "pursued" it with a rubber mallet to go down in all the way.

If the shock towers are sagging inward some:  First loosen the upper fender bolts except for the front and rear bolt.  Second, loosen the two motor mount through bolts.  Third, using two jacks and blocks of wood as needed lift the front of the car at the frame where the lower control arms attach.  Doing this will cause the top of the shock towers to move outward.  They will move 1/4" or slightly more.  After the monte carlo bar is installed, retighten the fender and motor mount through bolts.

There are adjustable monte carlo bars but new mounting holes will need to be drilled.

Either get a Monte Carlo bar for 67-70 or drill holes in the freebie one

Some repo stuff is crap, I bought a Crome one for my 69 conv and the holes did not line up, they tried to tell me it's because my car has been hit.....um, no. My car is a survivor that has not been hit.

The replacement they sent dropped right in place

Bob