Raven R code

~ 1969 Battery Cables

Ok.....being deadnuts on is only good if it's truly functional. My problem with the original cables that I had purchased was the cable insulation started melting off during starting. I don't know what gauge they were but let's assume they weren't 4ga like these.

yes.

That was like my Grandson, he's a one word kid. How was school today?  His answer: "fine". What ya doin? "Nothin". How was dinner? "OK". Want some ice cream? "Yeah". Did you clean your room? "NO".

Soooooo what did you think of the cables?  Were they heavy gauge? Were the clamps adequate? Will the insulation hold-up? Were they the proper lengths? Were they pretty colors? We can hardly wait for your response- now play nice ;)

LOL, well it's easier to give specific answers when the question is specific . The cables and other parts I got from him at the time were as close to orig as is possible to make them . This was years ago though and sometimes things change . Kevin Marti also sells some cables and I have a set of his on my 428 Cobra Jet and they are nice also but I bought those around 7 years ago . If you want NOS cables then Perkins may have them but I would guess they would be in the $1,000.00 area.

NO WARRANTEES OR GUARANTEES EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED

I got mine from Mansfield.  I suspect the vendors are getting these from the same source ?  Very nice all around set:  Autolite markings, lengths, colors, insulation, connections and the 4 gauge cable make for a nice addition to the engine compartment.  Brian

post-33155-0-19220300-1482077122.jpg

post-33155-0-47078600-1482077131.jpg

Nope, but their stuff is, well... dead nuts on. I'd buy from them if was going concours.

+1  I bought some convertible stuff from him that's not available anywhere else. Jack's a stand up guy and owns arguably the finest '69 'vert there is

I'll go against the grain here.  My opinion, 4 ga. is marginal for that motor.  But if you want an original looking cable, that's what you are stuck with.  An additional ground wire from the negative battery terminal to the body, like where the front headlight harness grounds near the voltage regulator, is always extra insurance of good ground connections. 

If you can solder with a Propane torch and heat up shrink tubing you can make your own cables.  Even NAPA Auto Parts sells bulk cable and solder on type lugs and battery post type cable ends.  Or you can buy the components from Summit Racing or Jegs to solder together and assemble your own cables.  As long as the connections are soldered and sealed with heat shrink tubing, they will likely be better than pre made cables.

If you can solder with a Propane torch and heat up shrink tubing you can make your own cables.  Even NAPA Auto Parts sells bulk cable and solder on type lugs and battery post type cable ends.  Or you can by the components from Summit Racing or Jegs to solder together and assemble your own cables.  As long as the connections are soldered and sealed with heat shrink tubing, they will likely be better than pre made cables.

Good point, I would be happier if I did it myself