RandyatBBY

RandyatBBY's 1970 Sportsroof

Hi guys back at the mustang I am working to get ready to start it. I have a part that I have a question about. It is a bracket is off a 1969 Mustang coupe 302 3 speed. I was a part of a groupe of parts I had powered coated five to ten years ago. the batch was from the clutch and brake swing arm pedal and assembly. I do not know where it goes or what it does. does any one have a idea? picture is one side and then fliped over. Thanks in advance

IMG_3951.jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

On 12/3/2023 at 8:26 AM, RogerC said:

I believe it's part of the steering column support at the pedal support. Pic is 69, 70 probably similar.

Untitled.jpg.4b0c8cb0185ade4c59f207ecbe010127.jpg

Well that is another bracket that I have and figured that was where to place it. I am not sure what it does either. 

IMG_3955.jpg

I don't have one of those on my '70.  The steering column hardware is different between the years.  The '70 has the ignition key/lock on the column, and the ignition switch is mounted underneath, along with the wiring.  All that stuff is inside the dash on a '69.

I will go and look at the Assembly manual, as I am in my shop, and send some drawings/pics along.

That looks like a '69 bracket in your picture.

The '70 version of that bracket is in the diagram below, with my pencil pointing at it. They serve the same purpose, which is to tie the forward facing part of the under column bracket to the clutch/brake pedal support bracket.  This is only on the drivers side of the column.  The diagram is from the Orange "Chassis" Assembly Manual.

The '69 column also has an upper column bracket. The '70 column doesn't have that, instead uses threaded bosses on the column that attach the column to the lower column support.   

For some reason, on the '70, Ford decided to change the design to anchor the column differently.  In the assembly drawings, the '70 small bracket (3B139) has a small diamond next to it, which means that it had to be installed per some specific instructions to meet government safety standards.  This is because it is tied into the function of the collapsing steering column, which has to be anchored inside the car to prevent rearward movement into the passenger compartment.   This started in 1968, which also delivered such goodies as padded dashes, shoulder belts, padded steering wheel centers, side marker lights, etc, etc...

Anyway, the 2 pictures you posted yesterday are the '70 bracket.  

column install for 1970.jpg

On 12/3/2023 at 5:44 AM, Vicfreg said:

Pretty sure on the steering column. Used for wiring support.  Check the assembly drawings.  Pretty sure I have one on my ‘70

I just read that for the part in the first pictures, now I think/hope I can find the spot where it goes. 

I was incorrect about the wiring support.  The small clip below the pencil point is used to mount a wiring connector for the ignition. The connector has a slot on it that slides over the clip.

I will see if I can get a few pictures

Looking for a little clamp that goes on the AC cable 

Heater Cable Clamp And Screw Mustang 1965-1970 I found one for 13.95 from CJ Poinies plus shipping. I could make one out of stainless steel. any one have a spair to mail for $10. bucks or so?

20 hours ago, RandyatBBY said:

Looking for a little clamp that goes on the AC cable 

Heater Cable Clamp And Screw Mustang 1965-1970 I found one for 13.95 from CJ Poinies plus shipping. I could make one out of stainless steel. any one have a spair to mail for $10. bucks or so?

Good news I found the clamp in my spare parts. 

Randy I am late to the conversation, but I have a pic of where it goes from when I had the pedal hanger out of my 69 Coupe to have the roller pedal mod done.

100_0428.thumb.jpg.f8339f3701c494a861072de332d51acd.jpg