Sign in to follow this  
rwcstang

Carb/Trans/head issue after repair.

thanks i think these heads and carb are the one giving me the grief. it'll be fixed just gotta find a shop that is actually able to do this. 

I thought I read in one of the posts that you have a new to this build carb on it is that correct? I have a Holley Street Avenger carb and Street Dominator manifold that requires a Ford Trans hardware kit, the stock kick down won't hardware won't work with this carb you may need a kit for your setup. I couldn't find the post with what brand you have. 

I thought I read in one of the posts that you have a new to this build carb on it is that correct? I have a Holley Street Avenger carb and Street Dominator manifold that requires a Ford Trans hardware kit, the stock kick down won't hardware won't work with this carb you may need a kit for your setup. I couldn't find the post with what brand you have. 

I have a Holley Ultra Double Pumper Carburetors 0-76750BK, the Main body was changed to Proform Main Bodies for Holley Carb 67100C

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-76750bk

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-67100c

My thought, next step would be get the carb back to its original condition.  The current lack of a choke is probably contributing to the cold running problems you are having.  You might need to buy original size main jets unless they gave them back to you.  The Pro-Form main body comes with main jets to use with it.  Then continue on with tuning.

You can find a technical document on Holley's website that has carb list numbers and all the original specs, including the main jet sizes for each.

Agree with the carb setup get the choke working I had my electric unplugged and it ran terrible for the first 15 minutes after hooking it back up it was like a new car. If you run the calculator on Holley's site a 600 CFM carb is recommended for street on 6000 RPM 407 CI engine 770 CFM for strip only you may need to get some jets for a street tune. Once you have it close get it dyno tuned that's a tricky carb for a street setup. I'd make sure your trans kick down is correct also.

Wow, lots of problems.  I lost track if you made any progress.  Like many said, try to deal with one problem at a time.  I would also suggest contacting a local Mustang Club for possible resources.  BAMA meets the 1st Tuesday of the month in Castro Valley.  I know we have some guys with personal experience and local shop experience.  It sounds like much of it started with the trans issue.  While that seems like a huge thing to fix, there should be plenty of local places and experts. 

Agree with the carb setup get the choke working I had my electric unplugged and it ran terrible for the first 15 minutes after hooking it back up it was like a new car. If you run the calculator on Holley's site a 600 CFM carb is recommended for street on 6000 RPM 407 CI engine 770 CFM for strip only you may need to get some jets for a street tune. Once you have it close get it dyno tuned that's a tricky carb for a street setup. I'd make sure your trans kick down is correct also.

I think his carb size is okay for his motor.  The math and Holley's carb selector indicate 750 CFM. 

Hey Guys,

I wanted to update this if anyone is interested:

Again thank you all for the support and advice, taking this one day a time, some progress was made but shocked at what I found out.

So I found a transmission shop to get a second opinion, I had to leg it there because the shifting was getting worse and flaring up where the car was practically revving when shifting from 2-3.

The owner was very helpful and informative, they said I had enough vacuum and fluid but they wanted to look into it to find out the cause of the shifting issue, so I dropped the car there for them to look at and I told them to document everything they find since I never got documentation through the other shop even though they kept saying my transmission is fine.

What they found shocked me and my instincts were right on the money:

The new trans shop found the linkage was hacked and re-welded which cause my shifter not to align correctly. They also found the cause of the shifting issue, it was the front drum and it was heavily damaged.

GeEq3oh.jpg

1BSABEd.jpg

The shop owner asked me if I was sure this was a high-performance transmission, I said yes and I have the receipt from the dealer where I purchased it from. He said this was not a built transmission, that everything inside was stock; no HD band, HD clutches, not even the valve body. The only thing that that was a performance part was the external shift servo and deep trans pan. Looks like they stole my transmission and gave me a shitty one, thinking I wouldn't notice.

In the end, I had to get it rebuilt with the parts I wanted, including the correct linkages and new torque converter as it was stock as well and not the hi-po stall converter I originally had.

Im taking this receipt and taking it to the original shop and making them pay for the damage and b.s they caused me will include B.A.R if he tries to F* with me. Also, I'm going to tell them that I am getting a 2nd opinion on misfire issue and whatever they find, they are going to pay for that as well.

The car shifts greay now! firm crisp shifts and almost ready to fly again, they also included a 1,800 mile warranty which is nice.

Luckily, the trans guy directed me to a shop across the street.. I didn't realize this shop was there but he said that they built his motor and everything said nothing but good things about him. I scheduled an appointment with him this Saturday, hopefully it goes well.

That's it for now, Hope everyone is staying warm!

Holy Crap.  That is crazy.  Hope you can get it resolved with the first shop.  It's unbelievable the amount of dirty people out there. 

Glad you were able to get the trans issue fixed.  Hope you have good results with the mis-fire situation.

Good luck!

Glad to hear the trans issue is finally resolved.  It's hard to determine when the shift linkage was modified.  With the shift shaft also modified, I wonder if that C4 was originally from a column shift car.  The shift rod was probably simply the wrong one for a C4.

Hope you can determine if the last shop swapped out the trans like you suspect, or it was just a poorly built trans from the beginning.  But I do agree, the last shop was bad.  They didn't seem to know what they were doing with any aspect of the repairs.

Good luck with the engine builder tuning your motor.  I'm not saying they cannot repair it.  But, just keep in mind, many are good engine machinist's, builder's, but not too familiar with tuning a motor.

Glad to hear the trans issue is finally resolved.  It's hard to determine when the shift linkage was modified.  With the shift shaft also modified, I wonder if that C4 was originally from a column shift car.  The shift rod was probably simply the wrong one for a C4.

Hope you can determine if the last shop swapped out the trans like you suspect, or it was just a poorly built trans from the beginning.  But I do agree, the last shop was bad.  They didn't seem to know what they were doing with any aspect of the repairs.

Good luck with the engine builder tuning your motor.  I'm not saying they cannot repair it.  But, just keep in mind, many are good engine machinist's, builder's, but not too familiar with tuning a motor.

I suspect this was swapped during the repair at the original shop. The current trans shop called the company that built my transmission and they gave him some part numbers to go off of. None matched at all and the company suspected parts were changed or transmission was completely swapped during the repair. The transmission was completely fine before bringing it to the first shop, After that everything decided to go downhill from there. 

thanks for the tip about the engine builder, hopefully he can help me with my issue and has the knowledge with tuning carbs. As much as I would love to just work on it myself, I work long hours and don't have the time now just to completely tear everything apart, especially since I do not have a Garage to work under. 

Final Update:

Hello All, 

I wanted to update you guys with my progress.

After taking it to shop I found on yelp which mainly works on old classics Mustangs, I spoke with the owner who was more than willing to assist me we talked about certain issues that he was concerned with and decided to let him find the issues I was experiencing. 

Mis-Fire Issue - They found a vacuum leak through my intake gaskets, which was replaced and also went back to the original Carb set up. Car starts up like a dream now. 

Over Heating issue - from prior posts, I kept getting this overheating issue no matter what I did after playing with the carb and timing. Turns out my harmonic balancer timing marks were off by 10 degrees. I also upgraded with a larger radiator, shroud and fan for good measure. The car doesn't even want to overheat now. 

so finally, after all this mess the car is back to normal. Again, thanks to everyone for your help and advice. 

Now it's time to create a claim with BAR and try to get my money back for the stolen transmission and shitty job they did, but that's another thread for another time. 

The Shop is located in Santa Clara, the shop is called "Mustang Fever" it's family owned. Mitch is the owner/tech with the help of his two sons.

Very, very old School shop. 

They way he talked I thought it was Barnett lol