jholmes217

Fuel Tank Sending Unit

Got mine from mustangs unlimited it is off by more than a little.....Brand unknown....

I could pull it out and bend the float arm but i have learned to know what its trying to say.

YOU ARE OUT OF GAS !!!!! 

Got mine from mustangs unlimited it is off by more than a little.....Brand unknown....

I could pull it out and bend the float arm but i have learned to know what its trying to say.

YOU ARE OUT OF GAS !!!!! 

Yea, with a hot rodded dual quad 428 getting probably 8 mpg at best, I need to know when I'm getting close to empty for real.  If I'm out of gas, it's too late!

I went  through 3 before I got a good one. The first two had plastic floats that leaked and sent the arm to the bottom. The third was a stainless steel one from Scott Drake with a brass float..in there 3 years now and knock on wood...all good.

John

I have always found that when in doubt, you can count on NPD to carry the best of what is available out there. Sometimes, if there is only one source, it won't matter and you might as well buy price. But if there are multiple options, the NPD product manager will always go quality over price.

I read an article a while back, can't remember where, that showed a repop sender compared to an OEM unit and how the repop arm was bent different. This seems to attribute to most of the inaccuracies of the repops. After going through a couple myself, I bought a reconditioned OEM one from West Coast Classic Cougars.

This topic always goes round n round with no real sure cure fix or remedy. Jeff and most of you guys seem to be pretty handy so... take your OE unit apart. Not much to it really. I have found that under the tin shield is a wash board type set up that the float/sender rod operates on. Tension is the key so take a look at that assembly. You will notice where there is abrasive tension and where there is not. Could be a simple fix ? The newer reproductions don't seem to operate on the same principal ? Brian

post-33155-0-84908700-1477512433.jpg

My sending unit goes from full to 3/4 super quickly, then from 3/4 to about 1/4 takes disproportionately more miles, then from about 1/4 down I never risk it and fill up as soon as it's around 1/8 tank. Original sending unit has never given me problems surprisingly.

My sending unit goes from full to 3/4 super quickly, then from 3/4 to about 1/4 takes disproportionately more miles, then from about 1/4 down I never risk it and fill up as soon as it's around 1/8 tank. Original sending unit has never given me problems surprisingly.

Those different rates of usage seems like a problem to me.

Well unfortunately, the one that was in my car when I bought it in 2010 (don't know if was original or not,) was covered in goo from the old gas that was still in the tank.  It didn't have a sock on it, and was badly rusted.  It went to the recycle center a couple years ago.  Sounds like my best bet is a Scott Drake stainless steel with brass float.  CJ Pony parts will probably have a Thanksgiving or Christmas 30% off sale, so I will buy it then.  Thanks for the responses.