Sign in to follow this  
po51

Disc Brakes

I currently have stock power front disc brakes and rear drums. I need new calipers or rebuilt and new rotors. Can I convert to 4 piston calipers ? Is it worth it and how much work is it? I could go with the stock setup and put high quality pads and shoes, thoughts on this?

Sure you can upgrade, check Willwood, Baer, SSBC, there are a few companies out there.

Edit; Willwood has kits that bolt to your stock disc spindles, others might as well, but some require drum spindles. Something to keep in mind when shopping.

What I did was got 2013 Mustang GT take offs from Roush for cheap.  Finally found some drum spindles so that I can use the adaptors from MustangSteve.

If you're not able to make your own adapters, this is in my opinion the way to go. Making adapters is pretty simple though.

Would I be able to lock the front tires with Baer?  Not that I would want to, but with my factory disc brakes I cannot lock up the tires. I understand that could be good to not lock them, but I am not sure I am getting max braking. 

OEM front brakes should be able to lock up the front tires.

I can't lock up my front tires with standard discs. Thats why im looking at upgrading as well. Just doesn't feel that safe.  The mustang does pull up but if i had to jump on them in an emergency then im stuffed.

OEM front brakes should be able to lock up the front tires.

+1 if you can't lock up the front there is something wrong, time to figure out what it is. If you can't lock up single piston calipers, you won't be able to with 4 piston calipers either.

Feel free to list what you've done to the braking system so far, and how much vacuum your engine makes at idle. Also what does the pedal feel like.

+1 if you can't lock up the front there is something wrong, time to figure out what it is. If you can't lock up single piston calipers, you won't be able to with 4 piston calipers either.

Feel free to list what you've done to the braking system so far, and how much vacuum your engine makes at idle. Also what does the pedal feel like.

Rsmach1 I hear you . I have replaced all lines to SS. Replaced rear cylinders, replaced vacuum and master , rebuilt proportion valve , new front and rear Flexi lines. Pedal feels firm . Can't remember how much vacuum the motor makes at idle but I checked that a while back and it was OK. I was putting it down to front calipers. Once I get my mustang back on the road from panel work I will probably take it to a brake place and get them check over it. No point waisting more money on calipers if that won't fix the problem. The front calipers do not leak and retract fine. Maybe they just need to be machined and a good set of pads fitted.

I currently have stock power front disc brakes and rear drums. I need new calipers or rebuilt and new rotors. Can I convert to 4 piston calipers ? Is it worth it and how much work is it? I could go with the stock setup and put high quality pads and shoes, thoughts on this?

Maybe better to have your original calipers rebuilt and  resleeved with stainless steel inserts. One of the best upgrades is better quality brake pads.

Been through this with Friends car with SSBC Brake kit Non-Power...It wouldn't lock up the wheels either and we even got a kit to test the pressure at the caliper... Long story Short, he got some of those fancy Potterfield pads from John at open tracker, we blead the brake lines about 10 more times and now when you stomp the big pedal that bitch will put you into the dash Haha..

Try Bleeding the brakes some more, I like to use my Vac pump personally then I do it old school style with someone pumping them...

4 piston calipers provide a more even clamping force, but braking ability has more to do with swept area than anything. Merely switching to 4 pots alone wont do much. Most caliper upgrade kits also involve incorporating larger diameter rotors. Ford went away from 4 pots for simplicity reasons, and didn't see performance diminish much, if at all.

I can lock my fronts with ease.