det0326

Refinishing Lower Dash

Searched a lot of the older threads on the subject of restoring the 69 lower dash found a lot of information on what kind of paint but nothing on how to get the old paint out of the crevices of the textured surface. I have heard of walnut shell media to blast it out but was not sure this is a good approach without doing damage. Also is there a paint that is more durable than others.  My car was non air but I am putting it back as OEM air and purchased an A/C dash that was the original red looking color and was in good shape really but I need it Satin black I know the original was charcoal gray but I am not concerned with originality. Any and all help is appreciated.

Dave   

If you want to do it yourself, I just use a fine wire wheel in a drill, or an angle grinder.  Something with variable speed.  It can take a while, but it works.  Taking it to a media blaster will be the fastest way, and any quality blaster SHOULD have the skill to not do any damage.

The lower dash is metal so I would go old school and get a gallon of paint stripper from an automotive paint store.  The stuff is messy and can burn your skin so be careful.  But that and steel wool and some labor should remove the old paint and not damage the texture.  It's also the least expensive method if you have pay for media blasting like most of us.  Pick up some metal prep also.  There are some that are rust removers and some that are rust converters.  Its good to have both on hand.  Rust converters actually work and are good for situations where you care unable to all the rust.

I glass bead the dash ,you need to be careful. not to warp it .

A soft wire wheel after to remove any glass residue and it it good to go .

Hey Ridge 

Do you epoxy prime before paint? It appears on my dash that there was no primer. Also what kind of top coat do you put on it

Thanks

It has been a while since i painted one ,but i do primer first and scuff with a green scotch brite .I used to use mar hide in a spray can but i cant find it any more .

Forgot to ask earlier too, the only glass beads media I can find local is 80 grit is this to course?

thanks
Dave

I noticed Home Depot is now carrying Rustolium automotive primer in a spray can .they have a self etching and a sandable .i have used the sandable and i like it .It should work great for interior parts where it is out of the weather .I think they have it in black and grey .

I used aircraft paint stripper then used a metal wash.

That's the same method I would use.  I'd be worried any media blasting will alter the texture.  Maybe not, there has been success media blasting lower dash panels.  But you won't know until it's too late.

Buckeye is that the bare metal or have you put a primer on it?  What kind of metal wash did you use , something like prewash before painting exterior of car?

that's just metal. I just use a zinc phosphoric acid based cleaner like a DX579/DX520. Mainly because I only sprayed 1 (maybe two, would need to check build thread) coat of a reduced DP epoxy primer (trying to minimize film build) as a black base.

I actually had some soda left over from another project and decided to try it in my blaster  and worked really well . I too in the beginning was concerned about blasting the grain area but it seems to be a lot tougher than I once thought.  Soda want do much for rust but my dash was in perfect condition it was just the wrong color. The soda also is probable somewhat slower than glass beads, but it cleaned it up real nice. Thanks to all who replied much appreciated.

Dave

I cleaned mine with thinner. Used a wire wheel on a cordless drill. Then cleaned really well with thinner again.

Then I painted black directly on the metal. The dash came out great but the glove box door got some wrinkles.

Thinner again and wire wheel again back to metal. And then painted again with better results

Bob

I'd use caution with a wire wheel... I've done that many times in the past and with a regular steel wheel and a heavy hand you can leave scars in the metal.  Maybe it's my Popeye arms :-) however the brass or 'fine' wire wheels don't tend to give me any trouble.  For me I used the SEM paint from NPD... I think it is lacquer so it dries extremely fast and is very light so you don't get a lot of build.  Some of the best spraying paint I've ever used.

david