Sign in to follow this  
69volunteer

Brass Temp Sender to Alum Intake

This is actually on another car but thought I would post here for some insight. I have another car that I have taken out of 'service' while I restore the gauge cluster. Like usual, a medium sized job like this turned into a new dash wiring harness, new engine harness, all new plugs and wires, etc.

The temp sender and the restored original gauge do not mate (ditched the cheap aftermarket one from when I bought the car) so I am trying to remove the brass temp sender that is sitting in the alum intake. The sender is out but the brass reducer will not come out. I have put heat on it, pb blaster, etc.

The motor is in the car and I don't have the best of leverage. Any other thoughts on getting it loose? Probably been in there 20 years or more.

here's one option.

take the intake off

drill the fitting out so there is only around .075" thickness of material left.

put it in the oven at 500 degrees for 15 minutes.

drive a 4 sided easy out into it and turn it out.

if it has "welded" itself to the intake it will mess up the threads.

I have had luck in the past with heating up the area around the fitting then applying a candle to the thread area, the candle melts and the wax flows into the thread, might be worth a try in your situation.

Yeah heating the aluminum manifold too much is dangerous like Barnett468 mentioned.  But I wanted to say DocWok's method of using a candle (Parafin wax) is the method I was taught as well.  It tends to flow into the threads and lubricate instead of flash off from the heat like penetrating oils do.  I have removed many rusted bolts and fittings in cast iron blocks, heads, intake and exhaust manifolds using heat and paraffin wax.  You do have to be quick at attempting to loosen the fastener after the wax is applied. 

Thanks everyone. I wanted to avoid taking the intake off just yet. The car has been sitting since spring and I want to get it running again before much longer. I'll try the wax method--seems like I have heard that before. Its a cheap edelbrock intake and worst case, I could get a new one.

The reducer is pretty flush with the intake so not sure how much thread I have to work with but it is worth a try.

I wanted to drive the car for the fall (not sure when fall is going to start in TX this year) and then pull the motor/trans over the winter. Trans needs to be rebuilt, and I would like to freshen the engine bay.

you do not need any threads to grab . . buy the 4 sided extractor i told you about.

instead of heating and using wax you are a million times better off using KROIL oil . . it is by far the best penetrating oil there is and its molecules are around 1,000 times smaller than those in wax so they will obviously penetrate better than wax but you need to put some on maybe four timers a day for at least 2 days

you do not need any threads to grab . . buy the 4 sided extractor i told you about.

instead of heating and using wax you are a million times better off using KROIL oil . . it is by far the best penetrating oil there is and its molecules are around 1,000 times smaller than those in wax so they will obviously penetrate better than wax but you need to put some on maybe four timers a day for at least 2 days

Yep, those 1000 times smaller molecules may do the trick!