Footcutter11

Reshaping potmetal headlight bucket on a 69

My 69 was obviously hit sometime in the past on the passanger side.  After fixing the fender right, I noticed that the potmetal bucket has a sharper curve to it on the fender side so it does not match up well with the fender.  I compaired the driver side curvature with it and it is about 3/8" out of alignment.  Any options here?  Should I just get another bucket?  Thanks!

Hold on here!! If you can get behind the bad area , you might have a shot. My headlight bucket was out of shape after a front end hit where the bumper pushed in and bent the lower edge of the bucket. It also bent the inner tab where grill mount is. I got a small butane torch and applied VERY light and even heat. I managed to completely straighten the lower edge AND bend the inner tab back in. It is now perfect.....and original ;)

I also reshaped the quarter panel scoop flange to fit the dynacorn panel. FYI.....the same gentle heat also removed the chrome from the vent windows.

Hold on here!! If you can get behind the bad area , you might have a shot. My headlight bucket was out of shape after a front end hit where the bumper pushed in and bent the lower edge of the bucket. It also bent the inner tab where grill mount is. I got a small butane torch and applied VERY light and even heat. I managed to completely straighten the lower edge AND bend the inner tab back in. It is now perfect.....and original ;)

I also reshaped the quarter panel scoop flange to fit the dynacorn panel. FYI.....the same gentle heat also removed the chrome from the vent windows.

I was also able to straighten a couple of mine with a propane torch and GENTLE persuasion.  Slow and careful and the pot metal will move without cracking.

I was also able to straighten a couple of mine with a propane torch and GENTLE persuasion.  Slow and careful and the pot metal will move without cracking.

Thanks guys!  I will give that a try!

Several folks here have used Steel Stick from JB Weld to build up the pot metal head light buckets. I used it to repair my shaker ring. I'd certainly try repairing it before buying another one.

plan on spending maybe $500.00 or more for one.

At the last Columbus Swap Meet, I remember coming across a really cheap pair of buckets.  Way less than $500... and I almost bought them just because the price was so low but I just didn't need another pair.

At the last Columbus Swap Meet, I remember coming across a really cheap pair of buckets.  Way less than $500... and I almost bought them just because the price was so low but I just didn't need another pair.

On eBay they run for $125.  I need to push it in, and I think the heat should work.  I also like 3M 2216 for epoxy.

I have straightened them ,get them as close as possible and file it to fit ,you cant remove a lot but if you get it close a file will finish it off .I have made a wood template of the side that needs to be straightened and very gently hammer it into shape .i have done it with out heat but a spot that needs to be moved a lot ,i would heat up.