Brian Conway

Mach 1 Upholstery

So it's like sitting in a hole in the drivers seat and just recently took to sitting on a beach towel.  Time for seat foams and upholstery in the front only.  TMI seems to get the nod from most of you guys.  I have used a local shop to do the actual install and that usually runs about $175.  At least that was the last time, my daughter's 66 car, and I supply the seats, foam and upholstery.  Takes a couple days and I pick up the seats and stick them back into the car.  The stuff for the 69 Mach 1, high back w/red stripe, looks like $626.  So about $800 to get a couple of front seats done.   Sound about right ?  Thanks,  Brian 

repop mach 1 seat covers used to have the wrong comfortweave material.  so I you want to correct that, add more money.

its still wrong . . the orig stuff no longer exists . . they also use chinese vinyl instead of the detroit vinyl and it is thin and is more gray in color.

The original Comfortweave material is no longer made, anywhere.   Dave R.

just curious, but when was the last time you checked with SMS? 

i'm just wondering if they fixed their issue since the time I had dealt with them.

just curious, but when was the last time you checked with SMS? 

i'm just wondering if they fixed their issue since the time I had dealt with them.

as far as i know, i bought the last comfort weave they had many years ago.

BuckeyeDeamon, I have a source in the auto carpet business. He sold out of his family business a few years ago which was seating and trim shop/paint shop supplies. When I needed the interior for my '69 Mach last summer he told me then that the real Comfortweave had been out of production for some time. Too expensive to produce is my guess.   Dave R.

BuckeyeDeamon, I have a source in the auto carpet business. He sold out of his family business a few years ago which was seating and trim shop/paint shop supplies. When I needed the interior for my '69 Mach last summer he told me then that the real Comfortweave had been out of production for some time. Too expensive to produce is my guess.   Dave R.

the mold for it no longer exists according to rick from npd.

with the recent material sold by sms.

no, however, if you want some orig comfort weave material, i may be able to come up with some if you let me know what color and how much you need, but unfortunately, the price will be high.

How long has the original type comfort weave been out of production?  Curious, what I have since I bought my Mach 1 upholstery from NPD back in about 1998.

the orig material is a real weave so if you pinch it between your fingers you will see separate strands with space between them.

So it's like sitting in a hole in the drivers seat and just recently took to sitting on a beach towel.  Time for seat foams and upholstery in the front only.  TMI seems to get the nod from most of you guys.  I have used a local shop to do the actual install and that usually runs about $175.  At least that was the last time, my daughter's 66 car, and I supply the seats, foam and upholstery.  Takes a couple days and I pick up the seats and stick them back into the car.  The stuff for the 69 Mach 1, high back w/red stripe, looks like $626.  So about $800 to get a couple of front seats done.   Sound about right ?  Thanks,  Brian 

Yes Brian, it sounds like a reasonable cost for materials and for labor.

I have done the re-upholstery on my 69 Mach1 seats with TMI foams and vinyl, and they turned out very nice, to my eye.  The foams are firm, and will feel high for a time.  But they have a nice shape, and snug in tightly with no visible wrinkles, if done correctly.

I hope it works out for you too.

I am not interested in the availability of the original material.  My seat upholstery is just fine.  It just has no puff left in the tuck and roll portion of the seat bottom.  Push it with your finger and it goes flat.  Just like it does when I sit on it.   So... take the seat bottom to a shop and have them add an 1" or so ?  Could be a lot cheaper and I like that.  Brian

post-33155-0-79373100-1430863330.jpg

post-33155-0-90667300-1430863358.jpg

I am not interested in the availability of the original material.  My seat upholstery is just fine.  It just has no puff left in the tuck and roll portion of the seat bottom.  Push it with your finger and it goes flat.  Just like it does when I sit on it.   So... take the seat bottom to a shop and have them add an 1" or so ?  Could be a lot cheaper and I like that.  Brian

adding any foam at all under the cover will do absolutely nothing to the flattened tuck and roll, 0, nada, zilch.

the tuck and roll is created by sewing the comfort weave to around a 3/4" thick sheet of soft-medium density foam . . when this foam decays, the tufts go flat.

if you want to preserve your orig material but make it fluffy again, you can roll the dice and take it to a good upholstery guy and have him undo it and remove the stitches and foam on the comfort weave and sew new foam in . . this will create new holes near the old holes which may cause it to tear.

you can add around 1/4" - 3/8"  of foam under the cover if you want it to sit higher . . if you dont want it to sit higher but you want it to look higher, you can use dacron instead . . it compresses more easily.

i would guess the cost to do this would be around $150.00.

you can also buy the small round inserts in your horn pad if you want to make it look new.

I just had all of my seats redone by a local upholstery shop.  All seats were stripped to the frame and rebuilt.  Cost was about the same as buying premade upholstery and the material seems to be much better.  I know the workmanship is better.  The black central inserts are made of perforated material and the outside of the seats matches original material.

post-35729-0-40577000-1430901572.jpg

So , does anyone know how the next best comfort weave compares to the original? Is TMI considered the next best? I was planning on redoing my seats that have been in storage since 1973......maybe i should just look into reconditioning them. There are no rips or tears.

You could take the seat apart yourself, then snip the hog rings and put some foam down on the seat base yourself.  The tuck will still be flattened, but the seat height and firmness under your butt will be restored.

There is not much to the whole deal with seats.  If your springs are still in one piece, it is just collapsed and worn out foam that is letting you sink down.

Hog rings and pliers are available for the task.  It is just time consuming and a work out on the hands.

So , does anyone know how the next best comfort weave compares to the original? Is TMI considered the next best? I was planning on redoing my seats that have been in storage since 1973......maybe i should just look into reconditioning them. There are no rips or tears.

Could be a good time to consider selling the original seats.  Someone who is doing a concourse restoration will want the original comfortweave.  They should bring enough for you to put new premium foams and covers from TMI. 

Post some pics of the seats as they are now.

You would need to be very careful trying to wash them assembled, since the comfortweave is not waterproof. As pointed out by Barnett, it is in fact woven strand.

If your seats have good 'plump' tuck rolls, they will be a desirable item.

Cant see anyone wanting the old foams, but you never know...

unfortunately they are go

Could be a good time to consider selling the original seats.  Someone who is doing a concourse restoration will want the original comfortweave.  They should bring enough for you to put new premium foams and covers from TMI. 

Post some pics of the seats as they are now.

You would need to be very careful trying to wash them assembled, since the comfortweave is not waterproof. As pointed out by Barnett, it is in fact woven strand.

If your seats have good 'plump' tuck rolls, they will be a desirable item.

Cant see anyone wanting the old foams, but you never know...

Unfortunately they are not for sale.....fortunately they are going back in my car ;)  The only reason I was considering getting them redone was for the fact they are just old. But I just dug the seats out and they are still soft and supple. I guess I will just clean them up. Maybe an upholstery shop can do a better job of cleaning.  

distinctive upholstery is the other major brand . . both their comfort weaves look plenty good enough for typical show cars but not mca thoroughbred cars.