rwcstang

Bad Day today

You didn't respond but I think I figured out the pic in post #27 is from a prior incident of 'blending' that led you to re-spray your car.

I agree you are in a crappy situation--previous history has told you that it will be impossible to match your current paint (although I agree with RSMACH that whatever paint shop turned out pic #27 should be out of business by now).

You don't want to get a check from USAA, spend it on a paint job that you are not going to be happy with and then have to have it repainted. Probably best to take that money and apply it to a new paint job.

You could have it repaired, then bring it to the shop owner--who still has some liability for the accident--when it doesn't match and you are not happy. The problem there is the argument of having the shop now pay the entire cost of the re-spray.

I think you should get (a) price from a nice shop to repair the dent and repaint the entire car (b) price from the most expensive shop in town to repair the dent and color match the paint. Give (b) to the insurance company and get your check and ask the shop owner to pay you for the difference between (a) and (b).

Assuming you handed the keys to the shop owner and they put your car out there in their parking lot, they have some liability. I wouldn't settle for anything less than how my car looked the day I arrived at their shop. That's what attorneys are for.

So I spoke with the appraiser and he explained that cost will be around 1500, so they will send me the check and I can take it to their certified shops. So I called the shops the insurance recommended and what to u do know, they dont work on classic vehicles nor do they want to blend the paint.

so now Im completely stuck. so Im going to create a claim with the California department of insurance and see what they can do since the insurances contracted shops declined even though they are suppose to do the work.

Im not surprised, just pist now that no shop is willing to do this, even if the insurance covers it. even the shop that had the car where it got hit are practically not liable for any damages. though the owner of the repair is trying to help me find a shop that's willing to do the job but even so, its not enough to help me pay for the respray.

here we go again... paint job number 4.

Sorry if I was not clear enough. English is not my original language, you see.

I think you don't need to act like you own this forum, buddy. We share our ideas and experiences here, and are not compelled to agree with everything you say.

What I'm saying is that based on my recent experience, and various accounts from others around me, USAA seems to have a habit of "lowballing" the victims of their customers.

1. ok, no prob.

2. well first of all i do not act like i own this forum and your tone is abrasive and your comment is off topic . . if you dont like my posts then you can put me on your ignore list and they wont show up on your screen or simply dont read them.  .

secondly, i have done this full time for a living for 30 years and part time for 15 years before that which is why i knew exactly what the insurance company would do, and although it certainly sucks, it would not benefit the op for me to lie to him or give him false hope . . facts are facts and opinions are opinions . . i posted facts, not opinions . . dont blame me if you dont like the facts, i am simply trying to help just like most of the others here are.

3. that is far more clear to me than your original statement.

So I spoke with the appraiser and he explained that cost will be around 1500, so they will send me the check and I can take it to their certified shops. So I called the shops the insurance recommended and what to u do know, they dont work on classic vehicles nor do they want to blend the paint.

so now Im completely stuck. so Im going to create a claim with the California department of insurance and see what they can do since the insurances contracted shops declined even though they are suppose to do the work.

Im not surprised, just pist now that no shop is willing to do this shop even if the insurance covers it. even the shop that had the car where it got hit are practically not liable for it. though the owner of the repair is trying to help me find a shop that's willing to do the job but even so, its not enough to help me pay for the respray.

here we go again... paint job number 4.

ok, if you dont mind taking the car to pleasanton, call this number and ask for bruce or glenn 949-768-5915 . . tell them your situation and they will tell you the best way to handle it so you get screwed the least . . ask them if the shop that glenn worked at in pleasanton can do it to a standard that mustang mike would accept, lol . . if it can not, then ask them if they know a shop in your area that can.

PLEASE be brief and do not keep them on the phone with a long story about how the situation sucks etc . . just quickly supply only the facts.

just a reminder, if your paint is faded the least little bit, the blend WILL look similar to the one in your photo.

i did not post this stupid thumbnail.

That doesn't surprise me.  when my Mach 1 was in body and paint it was originally at a small owner operator shop 99% of his work was on classic cars.  Half way through the owner wanted to move back home in the mid west.  He was nice about the situation and moved to another shop for me.  But the situation was similar, most body and paint shops didn't want to work on a classic car.  When you find one, it probably won't be inexpensive. 

barnett468,   Are you kindly saying the shop you are suggesting is difficult to work with?

barnett468,   Are you kindly saying the shop you are suggesting is difficult to work with?

no, the shop i supplied the number too is the easiest shop in the world to deal with and one of the best shops in the california . . the deal is that they will not be painting it because they are 300 miles away from the op, so they will not get a penny from the op,  so my point is, that since they are getting nothing out of the deal, it is simply courteous to not spend an hour on the phone telling them ones life story that's all . . plus if he does that, they will hate me, which is not a good thing, lol.

the shop is owned by my friends and they do both insurance work and work on classic cars . . they installed the body kits and painted the orange car and the blue car for the movie fast and furious . . they painted bernstein juniors budweiser sponsored drag car . . they painted several MCA concours trailered cars etc.

this is one of the cars they painted for the movie . . this photo is from the movie with walker driving and diesel in the girlfriend seat.

................ff1-4.jpg

131130223239-paul-walker-the-fast-and-th

Everyone will agree that the situation sucks.  A lot of us have stories that we can sympathize with.  Before I had an actual garage to store my '70, I kept in one of those portable garages.  Then we had a massive snow storm one year and the entire garage collapsed on my car.

Damage to the front fender and tore through the top.  I took the car to a reputible body shop and they were able to repair it and blend the paint.

Then there was the time I was backing my car out and caught the hitch of a trailer thrashing the rear quarter.  The last pic shows after it was repaired by the same body shop.  They blended the paint into the door and into the deck lid.

I agree with a previous poster that the picture you posted of the "blend" you had previously was a terrible job by the body shop.  With metallics especially you have to step down the paing and spray out the blend in three to four different stages stepping the paint down (dilutting it) more with each stage.  They didn't blend it into the door which was a mistake and they didn't blend it into the deck lid.  Also you can tell they didn't step the paint down because the roof shows a clear line with now fading out of the paint.

I think you biggest issue is finding a reputible shop that knows what they are doing.  As for the $1500 that sounds about right.  I paid $1200 to have my rear quarter redone, and I paid $1,100 to have the front fender done.

post-13226-0-94091900-1431038937.jpg

post-13226-0-90097000-1431038945.jpg

post-13226-0-35610100-1431038956.jpg

Sorry if I was not clear enough. English is not my original language, you see.

I think you don't need to act like you own this forum, buddy. We share our ideas and experiences here, and are not compelled to agree with everything you say.

What I'm saying is that based on my recent experience, and various accounts from others around me, USAA seems to have a habit of "lowballing" the victims of their customers.

Rwcstang, sorry about this, man. This is your thread and I didn't mean to create any fuss. I hope you'll be able to come up with an acceptable settlement. You might have to throw in some of your dime to get it fixed the way you want, however. I am there myself.

G

no worries man, thank you for the support!

most likely I have to go with a re-spray since most shops I'm calling are denying to do the blend just because they are unsure if the blend will be noticeable or not. on avarage some places are offering roughly 6500-8k which is a big hit to my bank account and i have to put on hold what i was trying to plan this year.

so ill be taking my car to a shop that i found locally they will be doing a complete respray, they said it will roughly take about a month and half to complete. hopefully this will be the final paint job for this car, so I decided to go with Ford Ingot Silver (UX) hopefully it will look good on this car. will update as soon as she is done.