rwcstang

Bad Day today

I don't see why you would need a complete repaint.  Any good shop should be able to blend that in. They will probably have to blend it inot the door and into the trunk lid.  A buddy of mine owns a body shop and did some quarter work on my '70 when I tapped a trailer and he blended it and you couldn't tell there was ever any damage or that it had even been repainted.

though they can blend it, it may show where they blend the paint if the sun hits it at the right spot. I have no paint code so this gets even harder to blend. you can use this camera but that will match it to the closet paint code.

the reason why Im saying this will lead to a repaint is this has happened before. the painter said he blended the paint but as you can see here... you can see the blend. so I am hoping who ever blends it knows what they are doing. if not, then I'm F**ked.

DSC00410.jpg

sorry about the confusion, I knew what you were saying prior. but Im not surprised, I knew it was going to happen cuz this isn't the first time this has happened to me.

I guess Im just stuck/frustrated and unsure what to do at this point so any advice is welcome. Most likely I am going to bring this car home and get an estimate, but im going to see what the appraiser has to offer.

im not sure what your question is . . i told you what would happen, which is what happened so i dont know why you are surprised.

by all means call your insurance and explain the situation to them but again, if you want a repaint, you will have to pay the difference if your insurance won't.

as far as what shop to take it to, get an estimate from a well known high end shop so you have more info . . also, some insurance shops are also high end shops but very few.

though they can blend it, it may show where they blend the paint if the sun hits it at the right spot. I have no paint code so this gets even harder to blend. you can use this camera but that will match it to the closet paint code.

the reason why Im saying this will lead to a repaint is this has happened before. the painter said he blended the paint but as you can see here... you can see the blend. so I am hoping who ever blends it knows what they are doing. if not, then I'm F**ked.

as i mentioned, there is no question about it, you will definitely see the blend, but as i also said, it will be barely noticeable if a good guy does it and your paint is not faded at all . . if you paint is even the slightest bit faded, it will look similar to the blend in the photo no matter who does it . . i do this stuff all the time..

if you car still looks like the photo below, i wouldn't worry about another blend.

the blend on the car is a factory color . . the rest of the car is not.

I am not surprised in the least.  The blend on your left rear quarter panel is pretty common for a silver and/or metallic color.  Sometimes the blend is initially not noticeable.  Then becomes noticeable two or three years later.  If you can't live with another blend, get the highest estimate you can and take the money from the insurance.  If you are fortunate, save until you can have the entire car repainted.  Or, if you're like a lot of people, its time to start acquiring body and paint skills.  This time, stay away from custom mix colors.  Even more, look for solid colors.  If you can live with another blend, select the shop you feel comfortable with, even if it not on the insurance companies list.

What the insurance company is offering is fairly standard.  Your fortunate the damage is very minor.

The "joys" of daily driving a classic. I'm seriously considering painting my car matt black and not worrying about the final finish too much exactly for these reasons. Parking lot dents, stone chips etc. it'll be straight, rust free but without a mega dollar finish. I feel your pain- I had a Cortina GT with a custom pearl silver paint job. 6 weeks on the road and my Grandad backed into the quarter.

sorry about the confusion, I knew what you were saying prior. but Im not surprised, I knew it was going to happen cuz this isn't the first time this has happened to me.

I guess Im just stuck/frustrated and unsure what to do at this point so any advice is welcome. Most likely I am going to bring this car home and get an estimate, but im going to see what the appraiser has to offer.

It seems most your angst is from the fact that you are refusing to paint the entire car. You have two choices, repair the car per the insurance company's rec and take your chances, or take the insurance mony and do a complete respray.

I would do the latter.

It seems most your angst is from the fact that you are refusing to paint the entire car. You have two choices, repair the car per the insurance company's rec and take your chances, or take the insurance mony and do a complete respray.

I would do the latter.

In a way yes, I'm refusing to paint the car because this is the 3rd paint job I'm going through..yet im afraid that the painter is going to fuck it up, its a PITA really. oh, and this car isn't even my daily driver anymore I have another car as my DD but Im just going to pick a standard silver color and just go with that most likely Fords Ingot Silver (UX) will be code of choice.

Im just upset that this happened at the shop I took it too, the car was parked on the side and a customer hit my car. The Shop Owner said he'll take care of it, but in the end is going to fall on me.

I understand Sh*t happens, but money doesn't grow on trees for me, I saved up like crazy to get this car going and the paint job was one of the big ones. I was so looking forward to the 5 speed conversion this year, but now, most likely the car will get re-painted and 5 speed will be put on the back burner until I save up again.

Did you re talk to the paint shop owner? I would ask him how he is going to take care of it. If this ever happened to me, I would take it to someone I trust or it would look like your picture above.

Seems like the paint shops owner intentions we good tell he realized how much it would cost him. Go back on him, you got nothing to loose right now. Seems like you will be paying regardless the outcome. Shitty situation.

its not a paint shop, its at a repair shop that I took my car to get my valve seals replaced. a customer that came in for repair backed up into my car. so right now I'm dealing with the person's insurance that hit me.

Im going to wait and see what the appraiser has to offer me. I was thinking of telling the shop owner to split the re-spray if the blend is not good.

but again, Im probably jumping the gun here. So I have to make a decision once i speak with the appraiser and go from there.

Did you re talk to the paint shop owner? I would ask him how he is going to take care of it. If this ever happened to me, I would take it to someone I trust or it would look like your picture above.

Seems like the paint shops owner intentions we good tell he realized how much it would cost him. Go back on him, you got nothing to loose right now. Seems like you will be paying regardless the outcome. Shitty situation.

And once again, USAA is taking care of their customer, instead of taking care of its victim...

Shame on them, really. Shame on that messed up insurance system as a whole.

if an insurance company repainted the entire car every time it got a dent they would go out of business

its not a paint shop, its at a repair shop that I took my car to get my valve seals replaced. a customer that came in for repair backed up into my car. so right now I'm dealing with the person's insurance that hit me.

Im going to wait and see what the appraiser has to offer me. I was thinking of telling the shop owner to split the re-spray if the blend is not good.

but again, Im probably jumping the gun here. So I have to make a decision once i speak with the appraiser and go from there.

if it happened outside their shop, they have little to no liability at all.

if it happened inside their shop, they are legally responsible to repair the damage and BLEND the paint.

you will not get them to pay for half a paint job no matter what . . it simply will not ever happen.

Did your car look like post #27 where there are clearly 2 different colors or was it recently repainted/restored?

If two tone like post #27, then you cant in good faith argue for a complete re-spray

Sorry if I was not clear enough. English is not my original language, you see.

I think you don't need to act like you own this forum, buddy. We share our ideas and experiences here, and are not compelled to agree with everything you say.

What I'm saying is that based on my recent experience, and various accounts from others around me, USAA seems to have a habit of "lowballing" the victims of their customers.

Rwcstang, sorry about this, man. This is your thread and I didn't mean to create any fuss. I hope you'll be able to come up with an acceptable settlement. You might have to throw in some of your dime to get it fixed the way you want, however. I am there myself.

G

In a way yes, I'm refusing to paint the car because this is the 3rd paint job I'm going through..yet im afraid that the painter is going to fuck it up, its a PITA really. oh, and this car isn't even my daily driver anymore I have another car as my DD but Im just going to pick a standard silver color and just go with that most likely Fords Ingot Silver (UX) will be code of choice.

OK, I am confused by this. You say you are refusing to paint the car but in the same sentence telling us what color you will choose. I don't get where you are at here.

And yes, you are getting a crap deal, but insurance companies are only liable for so much, that can't be on the hook for complete restos, so you have to see their side of it too. They reality is that if we have modded motors, parts break, if we have aftermarket custom parts and you break down in the desert, you will be getting a hotel while waiting for parts,  if we have custom paint, matches can be a bitch and dents become resprays. It's just the nature of the car hobby.

I my experiences with State Farm and Allstate insurance, what USAA is offering the same from what I have read here.  They encourage you to use their "approved" shops and some are actually good.  They won't repaint the entire car.  If it actually required that, it would likely be totaled.  And they won't pay for new OEM replacement body parts if aftermarket or used parts are available.  It's not good, but that's the way they operate and you can't legally drive a car without insurance. 

OK, I am confused by this. You say you are refusing to paint the car but in the same sentence telling us what color you will choose. I don't get where you are at here.

-Mybad, let me clarify. I dont want this blend to lead to another re-spray, but if it does lead to that, I will go with this color. it's just going to suck for me that i have shell out another 5k+ to get the body re-done. for now, I just hope who ever blends it, knows what they are doing so I don't have to do a re-spray. 

no matter what, its a shitty situation I guess I just have to take the hit and move forward and get this car fixed. will update everyone soon.

From my own experince, appraisers are always low.  Their job is to give low estimates.  It always helps to get an estimate from a high end shop and reveal that to them. The right appraiser will get closer to a real estimate if he has it in front of him.  It can't hurt.

I my experiences with State Farm and Allstate insurance, what USAA is offering the same from what I have read here.  They encourage you to use their "approved" shops and some are actually good.  They won't repaint the entire car.  If it actually required that, it would likely be totaled.  And they won't pay for new OEM replacement body parts if aftermarket or used parts are available.  It's not good, but that's the way they operate and you can't legally drive a car without insurance. 

I understand, just no matter how you look at it, its a shitty situation that no one should be in.

What I mean is to get your appraisal first from a high end place that will do the job you want, and present that appraisal to the person from the insurance company giving his own appraisal.