bryonbush

free 9" rear end

got a free 9" rear end today from a co worker. found the tag, wire brushed the rust off and ran the numbers. comes back to a late 70's Lincoln with 2.79 gears. did a real quick measurement and it looks like the same width of the mustangs. downside is it appears as if one side is longer than the other. question is, anyone make one of these work and is it worth the effort and money?

I think you will find that even the original mustang 9 inch rears have one side longer than the other to compensate for the pinion not being in the centre. I could be wrong though...

Correct. Make sure you mark which axle goes in which side if you take it apart ;)

Post,some,pictures of the rear end.

If it came from a lincolin it could be the versalies rear end which would be decent to use in the mustang however you will not be able to use the drum brakes on the rear end as the ends are different. And why would you want to downgrade to drums when you could just save your money till you could rebuild the disc brakes

Of,it,could be the big rear end, which is a good strong rear end but that thing is big and you would have to remove the arm brackets and weld,on spring perches.

Bob

wow posting pics on here is dumb. anyways, i just uploaded three pics on my profile. 1 showing the tag info, other two of the rear end. 

From the tag info  looks like 9"  limited slip  and a 2.75: 1    gear. Depending on what tranny you want to run the gear may have to be changed but a good find and for free you can't beat the price.  You will have to remove the brackets and put leaf spring pads on which I am sure you already know that.

Dave

good to know! yeah ill probably start taking it apart on my free time and seeing what condition its in. i measured from inside brake disc to disc and it was 58.75" not sure if there is a better place to measure but with all that crap hanging off, and the backing plates for the brakes bent up, it was difficult to get a solid measurement. 

good to know! yeah ill probably start taking it apart on my free time and seeing what condition its in. i measured from inside brake disc to disc and it was 58.75" not sure if there is a better place to measure but with all that crap hanging off, and the backing plates for the brakes bent up, it was difficult to get a solid measurement. 

you may want to check the wheel stud bolt circle too, to make sure the pattern is 5 on 4.5 which is stock for 69 mustang. This being a Lincoln it could be 5 on 5.5 and I understand too that some Lincolns had a weird pattern of 5 on 5. 

Dave

post-16490-0-75993800-1422394935.png

The late Lincoln rear end is not a 9 inch ,it is a 9 3/8 unless you have a Versalies rear end and that is a direct bolt in and same width as a 65-66 rear end and is a 9 inch . There is two styles ,one with leaf spring pads and one with 4 bars ,they are both the same width but the second will need leaf pads or go 4 bar .