Sign in to follow this  
jatkinson

Painting Shaker Fins

I know some guys have used the small flat edgers for painting the fins on the shaker tops.  that is, after they are painted in the black, then using something like the accusharp paint edging tool, with the small rollers.

By spraying the silver paint into a paint tray, then taking the paint on the flat pad, and running it along the ribs.  Good if you don't have a steady hand I guess.  Cheap item too.

I remember painting up the complex grille for a 67 Dodge Charger with the hideaway headlights, for a friend. Deep and narrow slots  The chrome trim edges had to be protected during paint, so I laid on a thin coat of petroleum jelly using a clean linen cloth soaked in it.  Then spray paint the entire thing black.  After curing, just buff the edges and the paint rolled off.  Neat and clean finish. No bleeding or tearing.  Worked for me, but I think the chrome finish was the reason.  May not work on the shaker fins.

I actually used the ink stamp method on mine using the Duplicolor Ford Argent Silver out of the can. I did come back and touch it up later as you just couldn't get the edge uniformity that way. It was kind've odd, it actually looked worse the further back you got away from it. 

post-13311-0-02988600-1421594237.jpg

I did mine a couple years ago and haven't had to re-do yet.  I figure when it needs a touch up I will just do it again.  Problem might be I have not been able to find the same Testor's #2546 Silver Argent for sale anywhere.  Seems the Silver Metallic is the only one available.  Brian

How durable is the paint over time? Does it need to be cleared ?

I had originally purchased mine to do some interior touch up but 2 summers ago my wife complained that the letters and numbers on the mailbox were unreadable, all the white washed off and it was all the black background color. These were really good hard stamped metal and not just a cheap sticker so I cleaned them all and decided to use my pen on them, they still look the same as the day I did them and that is outside 24/7. If anything it may be a bit more matt but that's it, still silver.

Problem might be I have not been able to find the same Testor's #2546 Silver Argent for sale anywhere. Seems the Silver Metallic is the only one available. Brian

I found the silver argent at Hobby Lobby today. It was my third stop on the dealer list from Testor's website.

I found mine at Ace hardware FWIW but assuming that Testors runs their company like most others that manufacturer products I would think their is a slim to none chance that they would keep these both labeled as #2546 if the actual color changed and not just the name. From an inventory stand point alone it is a tracking nightmare, it's hard enough to track batch numbers as it is. Any actual change to any product specifically it's color usually requires a new number as well. More than likely they found the description "Argent" meant next to nothing to anyone under the age of thirty or not involved with classic cars and that "metallic" was a better modern description understood by all.