Sign in to follow this  
5literfever

Wiring harness recommendations

Go with Painless. I installed an AAW and the only real difference is that painless uses the correct wire colors where as AAW just has standard colors. Neither is all that easy to install, meaning it will take a lot of hard work and some eletcrical knoledge but the instructions are pretty good and so is the customer support.

Go with Painless. I installed an AAW and the only real difference is that painless uses the correct wire colors where as AAW just has standard colors. Neither is all that easy to install, meaning it will take a lot of hard work and some eletcrical knoledge but the instructions are pretty good and so is the customer support.

For direct replacement, I feel you have (3) sensible options

1. As 3pedal mentioned, get a refurbished original from Randy at Midlife Harness restorations. (forum member)

2. Any of the repo harnesses made by Alloy Metal Products. Alloy makes the best repo harnesses (my opinion). Sold by many of the mustang supply houses. just make sure the brand you are buying is Alloy Metal Products.

3. Although I have only used one of their harnesses in the past on a previous car, "Y-n-Z Yesterdays parts" makes a decent repo harness as well.

While the quality may be good, the AAW and Painless harnesses are NOT a plug and play or direct fit type of harness.

For direct replacement, I feel you have (3) sensible options

1. As 3pedal mentioned, get a refurbished original from Randy at Midlife Harness restorations. (forum member)

2. Any of the repo harnesses made by Alloy Metal Products. Alloy makes the best repo harnesses (my opinion). Sold by many of the mustang supply houses. just make sure the brand you are buying is Alloy Metal Products.

3. Although I have only used one of their harnesses in the past on a previous car, "Y-n-Z Yesterdays parts" makes a decent repo harness as well.

While the quality may be good, the AAW and Painless harnesses are NOT a plug and play or direct fit type of harness.

I just had a AAW harness install by a shop, because I HATE wiring. I liked the aftermarket harnesses, because they had in the relays and such for the headlights and can have extra power for AC and Fans, etc. I know you can add the relays as well the original harness, but was just easier to have all in one.

I just had a AAW harness install by a shop, because I HATE wiring. I liked the aftermarket harnesses, because they had in the relays and such for the headlights and can have extra power for AC and Fans, etc. I know you can add the relays as well the original harness, but was just easier to have all in one.

good timing on this thread. I'm just starting to do the research myself and found the the right harness depends on where you are going with your build. A stock-type harness is good for a stock restoration, but if you're looking at building more of a restomod, it seems that AAW and Painless are worth a look.

I know painless has additional circuits for things such as electric fans, headlight relays, electrical fuel pump, etc... This is what ultimately led me to looking at replacing the harness instead of hacking up the one I have. I plan on adding a TB EFI, electric fans, new gauge cluster, and a trunk mounted battery in the near future. I'll prob go Painless.

good timing on this thread. I'm just starting to do the research myself and found the the right harness depends on where you are going with your build. A stock-type harness is good for a stock restoration, but if you're looking at building more of a restomod, it seems that AAW and Painless are worth a look.

I know painless has additional circuits for things such as electric fans, headlight relays, electrical fuel pump, etc... This is what ultimately led me to looking at replacing the harness instead of hacking up the one I have. I plan on adding a TB EFI, electric fans, new gauge cluster, and a trunk mounted battery in the near future. I'll prob go Painless.

I installed an AAW harness in my car a few months ago.

Its got really good quality wire and fuse box with plenty of extra spots for upgrades.

every wire is labeled as to where it goes and once you figure out how to do one circuit its easy as pie after that....I would venture to say that If someone had a harness out I could probably almost have an AAW harness installed in 1 day by myself...

its a very good way to go if your wanting an upgrade...

I do suggest leaving the lower dash in and taking pictures of the old harness routing so you can put your new harness in the same location, but they have plenty of extra wire with their kit so you can adjust the harness as needed.

Its got really good quality wire and fuse box with plenty of extra spots for upgrades.

every wire is labeled as to where it goes and once you figure out how to do one circuit its easy as pie after that....I would venture to say that If someone had a harness out I could probably almost have an AAW harness installed in 1 day by myself...

I do suggest leaving the lower dash in and taking pictures of the old harness routing so you can put your new harness in the same location, but they have plenty of extra wire with their kit so you can adjust the harness as needed.

I have all replacement AMP harness's (excellent reproduction) and have all kinds of aftermarket electrical additions. Not a single splice in any of my harness's. I made a simple secondary circuit that energizes all my additions. It has a constant on solenoid (from NAPA) that turns on the circuit in the on and run position. All color coded wires and it fits neatly under the dash. I installed this 8-10 years ago and no problems. Its a great alternative if you don't want to rebuild your complete electrical system with an custom aftermarket harness. Here is the link for the instructions to make the circuit. http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/10/12VKeyOn/index.php

Edited by Alan_Mac

I have all replacement AMP harness's (excellent reproduction) and have all kinds of aftermarket electrical additions. Not a single splice in any of my harness's. I made a simple secondary circuit that energizes all my additions. It has a constant on solenoid (from NAPA) that turns on the circuit in the on and run position. All color coded wires and it fits neatly under the dash. I installed this 8-10 years ago and no problems. Its a great alternative if you don't want to rebuild your complete electrical system with an custom aftermarket harness. Here is the link for the instructions to make the circuit. http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/10/12VKeyOn/index.php

Edited by Alan_Mac

If you are staying stock I also suggest Midlife. You get what you pay for and he is a straight up car guy and he also provides lots of useful electrical knowledge to people on this forum so I think it is always important to in turn support people like that when we can.

If you are staying stock I also suggest Midlife. You get what you pay for and he is a straight up car guy and he also provides lots of useful electrical knowledge to people on this forum so I think it is always important to in turn support people like that when we can.

+1. I learned a ton from installing mine and the service was very helpful when I failed to read all the directions.

The one thing I will point out is that you will need tools to make the crimps. I ended up buying their set of double crimps (which I am open to renting/selling if anyone needs them) and a standard size crimper (which I now use all the time).