Sign in to follow this  
Chris'69Mach

Rear Spoiler

You have the writing wing in that the width of the pedestals is not correct.

You also do not have a deck lid that originally had a spoiler as there should be 2 round holes next to the hinge ( for 69) that a bracket bolts to the hinge bolts and holds spacers that go up through the round holes. The spoiler mounts to that bracket

Bob

You also do not have a deck lid that originally had a spoiler as there should be 2 round holes next to the hinge ( for 69) that a bracket bolts to the hinge bolts and holds spacers that go up through the round holes. The spoiler mounts to that bracket

Bob

do you have a pic of this?

This is ironic, I just started checking into this last night for mine. Looks like we may have the same spoiler. Mine comes through the lid top same place but not right threw where the lid hinge mounts to. Someone used a hole-saw and drilled 2 holes on the inner hinge mounting channel, then used short enough mounting bolts that you have to reach in through the cut holes to install the washers and nuts to hold the spoiler on. Need to find out what the spoiler was intended for, I'm guessing a Torino. Thx for the pic's Brian :thumbup:

Bob

Where the wing attaches to the pedestals, there is not another location that they can be mounted to the wing. In other words, I am not able to adjust the pedestals out farther.

I do know that the guy I bought the car from used it as a parts car for another mustang. I think it was a Boss 302. But when I got it, the spoiler was on the trunk already and did not think much about it.

So should I aquire the right trunk lid or can this one be modified to mount the "correct" spoiler to it? Thoughts???

See the pictures from Brian Conway in this thread, they are correct and what I was referring to.

69 is different than 70 if that matters to you. The 70 trunk lids had an oval hole punched in the under structure in the right location for where the same bracket would be used.

You can use the same deck lid if it is in good shape and you want to weld up the holes.

I don't know where that deck lid comes from but I have seen generic versions that look like the originals that have been sole to fit ' any application' so it is my guess that what it is. Either that or it was bought at a swap meet and they though it would work....then they made it work

Bob

I have a 69 Mach 1 with what appears to be original deck lid and spoiler, but I cant say for certain.

Not a perfect pic but here

T2eC16hy4FIZLt7Vt5BSWrBnEe560_57.jpg

The 69 seems to be set up with a large oval hole in the underside of the deck lid to allow access for the bolts and fasteners.

The 69 and 70 are slightly different widths for the pedestals, center to center, if I recall this correctly...

Hmmm .... Does anyone have any input about repop deck lids and spoilers? Are they worth it as far as quality and fit? Or should I try to aquire an original?

I have both. Very happy with both. My rear spoiler and pedestals are from NPD. Their spoiler is beautiful and looks just like the original. Just lighter.

I have a 69 Mach 1 with what appears to be original deck lid and spoiler, but I cant say for certain.

Not a perfect pic but here

T2eC16hy4FIZLt7Vt5BSWrBnEe560_57.jpg

The 69 seems to be set up with a large oval hole in the underside of the deck lid to allow access for the bolts and fasteners.

The 69 and 70 are slightly different widths for the pedestals, center to center, if I recall this correctly...

Looks,like a 70 deck lid,to me

Do,you have the brackets for the wing to the hinge?

Bob

I have an original 70 spoiler in excellent condition with the mounting brackets for sale. I can take a measurement if you want to compare.

price? shipped to rio grande city tx

Can't see how the brackets on Brian's lid would work properly with Rsanter's lid. So which is correct for '69 ? When you order a " '69-'70 " lid what do you really get then ? Also when you order a spoiler (if they are presumably slightly different mounting width's) same question. The oval cut out on Rsanter's appears to be factory but hard to tell.

Edited by stangnet33
add ?

I have an aftermarket spoiler from Mustangs Unlimited, and it fits fine. I had to drill holes, as mine wasn't a factory spoiler car. Your trunk lid is fine, it will just need some repair work. Like most guesses so far, I would say you have the wing of a 71-73 and the 69/70 pedestals. Without a shot of the spoiler itself, it may be a complete 71-73 spoiler. How tall are the pedestals? 69/70 are taller than 71-73. I would just order a new spoiler, drill your holes, and weld up the wrong ones. Good luck.

The 69/70 and the 71-73 had the same length wing and same width wing, but the pedestals on the 71-73 were 3" narrower, which looks exactly like you have. The 69/70 pedestal spacing is 36" and the 71-73 is 33" (center to center of bolts through the deck lid).

The 69/70 and the 71-73 had the same length wing and same width wing, but the pedestals on the 71-73 were 3" narrower, which looks exactly like you have. The 69/70 pedestal spacing is 36" and the 71-73 is 33" (center to center of bolts through the deck lid).

You sure? A buddy of mine ran a rear spoiler on his 70 Mach 1 with 71-73 pedestals. I'm pretty certain that it used the same mounting holes as the 70 version. The only difference was the pedestals were shorter.