Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Help me decide on the right front height

I bought a set of 1" lowing springs from Eaton Spring.

I advised them that I had a Cleveland, AOD, etc.. and did the UCA 1" drop.

Based on their recommendation, they suggested a spring rate of 300 lbs.

After I installed the engine and trans and a week went by, I see that the front end is way too low. I called Eaton and they said, measure what I want from how the car is sitting right now and send back the 1st set. Easier said then done!

Personally I think it sits pretty cool, but being practical I thinks it's too low. I still don't have the hood on and with me sitting in it at 260lbs, I'm sure it will drop some more.

Right now the frame rail is 5" from the ground.

The following pictures shows how it sits 23 3/4" from the ground to apex of fender.

24 1/2" jacked up and 25 1/4" jacked up to the top of the tire.

Out of the 3 heights, where do you think it should sit.

DSC02084_zps8c065472.jpg

DSC02083_zps4dab0e7e.jpg

DSC02087_zps4f703e2a.jpg

23 3/4" how it sits now.

DSC02082_zps84f3f67a.jpg

24 1/2"

DSC02080_zps35ced35c.jpg

25 1/4"

DSC02081_zps819b8065.jpg

I like the way the car is looking along with the direction the build has gone.

IMO the front needs to come up at least an inch. The rear would have to drop 1 1/2" at minimum in order for the stance to look right with the front that low. I don't think the "in the weeds" look along with the chrome wheel well accents / Magnum 500"s go together. 300lb springs seem a little on the light side, even for a street driven Mustang. Hate to say it, but it looks like you'll be taking some springs out to get it where it needs to sit. 24 to 24.5" in the front, and a 1" block in the rear, the over all appearance will be just right. Just a little tweaking, this car will be OUTSTANDING.

as you said I like the way it sits now. Does it give you any problems as handling or scrubbing when turning into uneven drives and such. if yes then I would go with the second pic. I like to low front too but you know the second height may sort of level the front with the back a little better. But again I see nothing wrong with the stance as it sits if it isn't giving you any problems..

Dave

I Was running 23.5 for a long time and it was just too low. I am running a big block and headers and I would drag them on just about everything. With the latest upgrade I moved it up to about 24.5 now it is MUCH better. I think that still looks good on yours, but wanted to give you my experience. I was able to raise it as I just converted to Street or Track coil over set up. You could look at a 1in spacer to see if that look is what you want. May be a bit cheaper than new springs.

Edited by SM69Mach

I like 24.5-25.265 range.

I have 26.5" and 6.5 to the front torque box with a 25" tire. where on the frame are you measuring at? Id like to get down to 25 or so. Set up for Alaskan off roadin!

Edited by beecj0

I just went out and cut another half coil off! netted me .5" drop.

as far as ride height goes, 25-26" looks good and gives exhaust clearance. if you are lookin for a more tucked look go up a couple inches on rim size.

just my opinion.