Sign in to follow this  
jwscarab

Fuel Pump Help....

Went out for a ride today. At a 35mph in a higher gear, it stumbled twice real quick, like it had a drop of water or something in the fuel. Straightened out so I kept on going.

30 or so miles later I was climbing a real steep hill in a subdivision, probably in 2nd gear and I was shifting to 1st to get more umph. Car stalled like it ran out of gas. Got it restarted after it cranked a bit and made it home no problem (1 more mile).

Also noticed today the fuel pump seemed excessively loud from time to time - like a wood boring bee changing its tone of buzzing a lot. Its an electric pump mounted by the tank.

So would you guys say this is definite a fuel pump problem?

And lastly, would you recommend ditching the electric pump for a mechanical one? My card is an 850 Demon. How do I know if I NEED the electrical pump?

You don't "need" an electric. so yes, you can use a mechanical and simplify your setup considerably. I think alot of people just like to remove that tiny bit of power required to drive the fuel pump. It wouldn't be noticeable unless you are drag racing and squeezing every tiny hp out of that motor.

I'm thinking go over the whole system and check vacuum hoses to the regulator(if you have 'em), regulator set screws and pressure.Try a new filter (go cheap) and hit that hill a few times to see if you can get it to repeat under that condition.

keep us posted.

By any chance are you running a vented gas cap? Allmost sounds like you need a vent on the fuel system somewhere. I would check the fuel filter as well. I had a silular situation.

Edit: what I did was put a -6 vent on the filler neck, made a loop on the line then out of the trunk and put a small k&n filter on. Sounds like its cavitating. Try taking a drive with out the gas cap on, in the same suituation.

Edited by Rip Rock

Great help guys - and MUCH appreciated! I did not check the filter yet. The previous owner installed the pump. Its back by the tank. Then a filter that is a HUGE screw on filter the size of my oil filter, then a regulator. My gauge at the carb reads 6 psi. I think the cap is vented - its an OEM flip open cap.

Also, ever since I bought the car, it has acted like it has a rev limiter. Even after replacing the distributor and coil (for other reasons) it still falls flat at 4500-5000. I'm starting to think it could be starving for fuel then too.

I appreciate all the info. I'm thinking of leaning towards to mechanical so maybe I will just redo it all. I never liked the noise, complications, and the big honkin filter and regulator on the inner apron anyway.

I guess the car is going back up on jack stands.....lol. Should be fun tho!

Thanks guys - I'll keep you posted on the progress (I'm slow so be patient).

The holley mechanicals are rebuildable for a few buck and a couple of minutes. They also seem to be more consistent fuel pressure wise. I had a ton of probs with mech stocker pumps, switched to a holley, never looked back....

OK guys, I replaced my fuel filter with a new Derale canister filter. Its 3 1/2 diameter and 8" long - lol. If that filter doesn't do the trick - none will. I'll be driving it Sunday to a car show, so I hope it makes if fine. I still may go with a mechanical pump in the future, but if this does the trick, it can go lower on the to-do list. Thanks for all the info - I'll update after a few drives.

What type of tank do you have? Stock ? One thing that caught my attention was going up a steep hill and the change in noise on the pump. Is there a chance the fuel wasn't getting to the pump properly in the tank? Like the pump was starved for fuel? Just a thought as I know folks have talked about baffled tanks with electric pumps.

I hope the filter fixes the problem.

Is there any advantage to the aftermarket 'high-performance' mechanicals vs. more OEM types?

I had what I thought might be a fuel starvation problem, I bought a Carter Muscle car fuel pump. It was nothing more than a fancy box with a stocker just like the local parts store part. I bought the Holley and never looked back. I imagine the Edelbrock is good as well.

I'll let you guys know after the weekend how she runs. Got the seats out to install the MrMikes leather kit. Im still going to do the mech pump soon. I do have a stock OEM tank. But the first time starving was on flat ground with full tank. Second time was still at least a half tank.

Going to be at the Sharonville OH show Sunday! Hope to see some cool mustangs. I know its in Buckeye's back yard so I may get to check his car out!

Hey Buck! I coming in with a friend that is also bringing his RS 68 Camaro. Its a sweet ride (for a bowtie). All black with black wheels and a white front stripe around the nose. But unfortunately we won be there till about 10:30 (its his doing) and we didn't pre register either. We were playing it by ear for the weather - looking good! I'm really looking forward to checking out your car! Joe

Hey Buck! I coming in with a friend that is also bringing his RS 68 Camaro. Its a sweet ride (for a bowtie). All black with black wheels and a white front stripe around the nose. But unfortunately we won be there till about 10:30 (its his doing) and we didn't pre register either. We were playing it by ear for the weather - looking good! I'm really looking forward to checking out your car! Joe

low 70's, partly sunny. can't beat that in ohio. they generally group the mustangs together. so we may be close by anyways.