Sign in to follow this  
MN69Grande

Crate Motors

So I've been battling a bad 20 year old rebuild for months and I think it's time to give up on it. So as I have little time to work on the car right now and would like to get on the road this summer, was thinking of a crate motor. Any suggestions for a decent manufacture out there? The two I'm looking at now are below, but I'm just starting to research.

http://high-performance-engines.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ATK&Product_Code=HP78M

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/Ford_Racing_340HP_Crate_Engine_Assembly_p/m-6007-x302.htm

I just went through this process myself, including considering both those exact motors. Ultimately, I decided for various reasons to go with an iron headed 345hp/430tq 408w from BluePrint Engines with a 30 month/50k mile warranty, purchased through Summit Racing. Yes, it required purchasing a new intake, carb, headers, balancer, distributor, etc., so it actually ended up costing a bit more than either of those, but I liked the idea of having the potential to upgrade to aluminum heads and roller valve train, and a roller cam later to make more power later if I want. Besides, there's no substitute for cubic inches, except maybe forced induction.

Now, I have yet to actually get it installed, but I should have it in before the end of the month... hopefully in a week or so actually.

This is the engine I ordered: http://blueprintengines.com/index.php/products/bp-ford-crate-engines-landing/ford-408-main/item/ford-408-base-bpf4083ct

my motor was by Ford performance solutions in LA. they are the ones who built agent 47 harbingers motor.

here's a vid of mine (Cold start to warm up)

These look like pretty good motors for the money. I wonder if they are under rated though as their 331 cast iron is rated the same as the ATK. But it has 25 more cubic inches and 10.5 compression vs 9.5.

@rwcstang, those FPS engines look killer and your's sounds awesome. I'm envious, except for the prices. The 345hp/430tq BluePrint 408w long block I ordered was under $3k delivered (thanks to 10% off coupon at Summit), which is decent spec at a price I could afford.

I forgot to mention that each BluePrint engine comes pre-run and with a dyno sheet to ensure it's performing up to spec. The dyno sheet for my engine actually posted 348hp @ 4750rpm and 445 lbs-ft @3600rpm, and has well over 400 lbs-ft from well below 3k rpm. Quite a stump puller and should be fun on the street.

I used FPS for my engine several years ago. I bought it with the intention of street driving and ended up racing it. We swapped the hyd. roller for a solid roller cam and some valve train work. Went a best of 9.80 @ 136 on pump gas.

Very happy with mine. They were very easy to deal with.

There are plenty of options out there.

I have been looking at Fordstrokers.com Great motors but pricy also.

I've never personally dealt with them, but I have read a few mixed reviews on Fordstrokers.com motors, but they all get squelched very quickly. It bothers me is that the owner is big on the forums as an advertiser and stuff, and all the conversations of his motors and work are very very one-sided. That makes me very dubious. The other thing I've read that is very consistent is that he takes a long time to build a motor.

Not quite sure what I'm trying to here, but something just nags at me there.

In regards to fordstrokers.com , I've purchased quiet a lot of stuff from them over the last 2yrs, I've found them excellent, sometimes you might have to wait awhile for a product being so snowed under with work, jim the owner is very knowledgeable and helpful, the main reason I like them as well is the fact they only work with ford 289-302 and 351 windsors, no chevy or mopar crap, just small block fords. Plus jim is always happy to pass on his trade secrets and assembly tips. As far as him making comments on forums and advertising I've found his comments very helpful and hoses down a lot of incorrect info given out by other people.

I used FPS for my engine several years ago. I bought it with the intention of street driving and ended up racing it. We swapped the hyd. roller for a solid roller cam and some valve train work. Went a best of 9.80 @ 136 on pump gas.

Very happy with mine. They were very easy to deal with.

There are plenty of options out there.

Does that old POS even still run? ;)

I've never personally dealt with them, but I have read a few mixed reviews on Fordstrokers.com motors, but they all get squelched very quickly. It bothers me is that the owner is big on the forums as an advertiser and stuff, and all the conversations of his motors and work are very very one-sided. That makes me very dubious. The other thing I've read that is very consistent is that he takes a long time to build a motor.

One thing I have found, if you have reasearched engine builders, you can usually find at least one guy that has had a problem. No matter how large or small they are.

Smart man ;)

Lol it is going back together. A cage, new quarters and paint. Another couple months we should be at it again.

Paint......I'm jealous.

Why are you guys slapping stroked 302's in there just get a stock 351 LOL.

Do none of you guys trust your local engine builders?

I have about 7k in my 408..small custom roller, AFR Heads, Vic Jr. Intake Etc...made 550hp at crank and 569Tq....And it Idles so mild...

Plus if you buy local you get the best service USUALLY