Sign in to follow this  
Chris'69Mach

Rear Shocks

Any suggestions for a non budget breaking pair of shocks for the rear? I recently replaced the shocks and the ones I bought are non adjustable and when going an overpass, the rear compresses too much and rubs the tires.

What I would like is a firmer shock to eliviate the tire rub.

Anyone?

I have Red Edelbrock IAS on all 4 and love them. unfortunately they stopped making them. its a rumor that QA1 now make the same shocks...possibly these.

http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/drag-and-street/shocks-and-struts/stock-mount-shocks-and-struts/mustang-shocks-and-struts/non-adjustable.html

If i were to go with new shock now but had limited money, i'd probably just go with KYB gas adjusts in my opinion

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/kyb-kg4517/overview/year/1969/make/ford/model/mustang

I like the KYB shock and run them on several of my cars

I actually have a set for the back that came off a friends car that had limited use on them.

Just need to to find where I stashed them, but I can part with the, if you are interested.

Bob

There has been a lot of support for KYB here, but I have used Monroe. They are gauranteed for life. As I have had my car for 30 years, I replace them about every 5 years for free. I would say that is about 6 times I have replaced them for free.

It is about time for me to replace them again, maybe they no longer make them?

Is there any real advantage of KYB over Monroe?

It's looking more like I will be replacing the leaf springs. There are a couple other Classic Mustang guys near me that feel I need to replace the springs. Apparently, they are the originals and I am sure they are pretty tired. A few years down the road I will be replacing the rear suspension with some type of coil over system. So for now, seeing how it is my daily driver, I will go with new 5 leafs.

The KYB GR-2s are softer than the gas a just shocks FWIW. I went with the gr-2s because i installed 5 leaf springs. They work well together for me.

Interesting... There's been a long held philosophy that says use hard shocks with soft springs and soft shocks with hard springs. Seems you've done the latter and it works well for you. I have 5 leaf mid-eyes and am due for shocks and was planning on the KYB Gas-a-justs, but now you've got me thinking again.

There has been a lot of support for KYB here, but I have used Monroe. They are gauranteed for life. As I have had my car for 30 years, I replace them about every 5 years for free. I would say that is about 6 times I have replaced them for free.

Wonder which Monroes you're using... I ran Monroe-matic Plus shocks forever and always liked how they rode, though in corners they could've been better. Still, I never really had any complaints.

The KYB shocks are guaranteed for life. I just had the fronts swapped out today as it looked like one side was leaking a little. I installed those about 20 years ago.

So I guess the advantage of the KYBs over the Monroe's is that I haven't had to swap them 6 times.

Also I think the KYB is a stiffer shock and more for handeling than the moroes.

Bob

It's looking more like I will be replacing the leaf springs. There are a couple other Classic Mustang guys near me that feel I need to replace the springs. Apparently' date=' they are the originals and I am sure they are pretty tired. A few years down the road I will be replacing the rear suspension with some type of coil over system. So for now, seeing how it is my daily driver, I will go with new 5 leafs.[/quote']

Why would you spend money now on new leaf springs when the plan is to go coil overs at some time. Just find someone with some extra leafs from old mustang or cougar springs that they swapped out or from a part out and make your own 5 leaf rear springs. Folks have been doing that for years.

Bob

Why would you spend money now on new leaf springs when the plan is to go coil overs at some time. Just find someone with some extra leafs from old mustang or cougar springs that they swapped out or from a part out and make your own 5 leaf rear springs. Folks have been doing that for years.

Bob

Because, although I do plan on coil overs in the future, it will be far enough off in the future that I want a better ride as this IS my daily driver. Makes no sense to me at all to keep what I have until that time and chew up my tires in the meantime.

Another option for shocks are Bilsteins. I'm not that far along in my resto yet but they are on my list of possibles along with KYB (front KG4517, rear KG5517). I've used KYB on my 75 Bronco for many years & like them a lot.

Buddha,

My thought process was this...I wanted the 5 leafs to help with axle wrap and figured it's easier to remove a leaf than add a leaf if the ride was still too firm. Like I said, I've been happy with my choice and have no intent of swapping out anytime soon.