Sign in to follow this  
Raven R code

Thoughts on power windows

Hi All,

I know 69 stangs did not come with power windows, however, it would seem like a nice feature to have. Has anyone ever heard of anyone attempting to install cougar or lincoln power windows in a stang? Seems like cougar components would be the best choice in this attempt. I know I would have to sacrifice my new deluxe door panels in some way.

:sailor:

Great info! Thanks

Was thinking that the cougar windows switches would look at home on a stang door panel. I'm guessing they would work and provide an accurate look.

The Cougar switches are hard to find not pitted up. I had a 69 xr7 convertible with pw and the system was a pain, too complicated for its own good. Lots of harnesses and assemblies that could wear our or corrode.

Ok....can anyone say what parts get replaced inside the door shell when switching to power windows? Is there more than wiring outside the door shell? I just found a place that will make new (custom) deluxe door panels without the window crank hole. I might consider.

Dave

I installed Nu-Relics in my ’69 and they were a simple swap with the original hand-crank mechanism. I elected to use switches in my center console since there was already some damage to it. I used a tweeter for the hand-crank hole that links to the speaker in my door.

NU-RELIC also makes a nice kit. They told me theirs works with either bolt in or glue in.

I recently emailed NU-RELIC and got the same response. They did say you need to have the windows glued in properly with a urethane glue so I'll be getting the kit soon and will go with the console mount switches. I'm surprised no-one seems to make a kit to do the rear windows in a coupe/convertible though.

I started looking into this about 7-8 years ago when my restoration started. It's a great idea for a convertible as you tend to want all the windows down every time you drop the top but kind of a pain to have an auto top and do the windows manually, especially if you are making lots of stops and locking up.

At that time no one offered a front and back kit for the 69's (seems that hasn't changed) so I started to look for universal kits, below is a link to my old thread. I don't know if any of the info is useful or if the links still work but FWIW.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1084

most of our cars have an unused spot on the fuse block.. Atleast mine did.. I did have to install a clip for the fuse... You can wire it to that, but I would go with a relay. Use the ignition and/or accessory circuits to trigger the relay, and have the motors fed directly from the battery. although, this is almost as much work as adding a second fuse block so.. Kind of depends on how you want to do it.

Using a relay will take the load off of your existing wiring and if your alternator is at low speed, like idleing, it will not draw from the alternator as the batteries would supply the power.

Edited by j69302

most of our cars have an unused spot on the fuse block.. Atleast mine did.. I did have to install a clip for the fuse... You can wire it to that, but I would go with a relay. Use the ignition and/or accessory circuits to trigger the relay, and have the motors fed directly from the battery. although, this is almost as much work as adding a second fuse block so.. Kind of depends on how you want to do it.

Using a relay will take the load off of your existing wiring and if your alternator is at low speed, like idleing, it will not draw from the alternator as the batteries would supply the power.

Edited by j69302

Sounds like electric windows may be in my future. I can order deluxe doors panels without the crank hole.....so that is awesome. Also, what electrical changes and modifications need to happen (ie: new fuse block)?

Dave

Hey Dave, where did you find the panels w/o the window crank hole? I looked at several from the normal vendors but they claim to have all the holes pre-stamped.

Thanks!

Hey Dave, where did you find the panels w/o the window crank hole? I looked at several from the normal vendors but they claim to have all the holes pre-stamped.

Thanks!

Call 540-896-9620. The standard panels cost $305 (incl shipping)......add $8 for the special order to go without the window crank holes. They are concours door panels that seem to be made very well.

Dave

Call 540-896-9620. The standard panels cost $305 (incl shipping)......add $8 for the special order to go without the window crank holes. They are concours door panels that seem to be made very well.

Dave

Thanks, I'll check them out

ok...still thinking about power windows....2 questions....I thought I heard someone makes window switches that look like window cranks and does anyone know if windows switches could be made to work in the shelby console top plate(where the sport lamp switches are)?