Sign in to follow this  
Patriotgamez

Poor Mans Shaker

Has anybody ever seen or used this type of air induction? (Notice the hood cut out). Wouldn't this type of setup suck in moisture and air? Trying to figure out if this was professionally or individually engineered...

Edited by Patriotgamez

Some 69's had the hood cut like this from the factory. They were never functional as far as I know but sure not an expert in this area. The air cleaner is a has been fabricated from various parts, not original.

I have heard of guys doing something like that converting the turn signal scoop into a functional ram-air application but haven't seen any pics of it lately. I think someone actually took out their inner headlights and ducted air thru the vacant headlight holes into the breather. (Cruzzar?)

Nice thread title BTW - http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/621831-poor-mans-1970-shaker.html

I have heard of guys doing something like that converting the turn signal scoop into a functional ram-air application but haven't seen any pics of it lately. I think someone actually took out their inner headlights and ducted air thru the vacant headlight holes into the breather. (Cruzzar?)

Nice thread title BTW - http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/621831-poor-mans-1970-shaker.html

Thought the OP meant from the factory. I've heard of people doing this mod as well, you just need to install a seal between the hood and air cleaner. If you don't, your radiator's ability to cool will be affected. I've seen some where all they did was cut the hood opening assuming that fresh air into the engine compartment was a good idea, only to find out that the air flow coming from the hood affected air flow through the radiator and fan.

I've seen a few (very few) early 69's with the pizza cut out hood. I think it was an early attempt at ram air until the Shaker's were certified. Never saw the rubber lip though. Looks like something off a Boss 429.

I'd like to know the production dates/VIN's on the ones with the cut outs just to see if they were early production models.

That's not factory - I actually did this to my 70. If you dig around you can find a post on this site about doing it. I know its not really making any difference. Just did not like the idea of non functional unit. Have not had any problem with rain or debris. But not a daily driver either.

I took delivery on my Mach 1 in Oct. 1968. It has a cut out in the hood more like the shape of the shaker scoop. All that kept out the rain was a piece of metal at the front of the scoop. I removed that metal piece and just stuck a rag up through the bottom of the hood into the scoop to keep the rain out. I can't put my figures on the window sticker right now to find out the production date. It was built here in California at the Fremont/San Jose plant I believe.

Kingfish (Steve).

Edited by Kingfish
delete VIN

My Mach 1 was built in San Jose and it has the "pizza" cutout. The scoop has the crome grill in it. Not sure if there was something to block the air that would be behind the scoop grill but there is nothing there now. I always thought it was Fords attempt at some sort of factory ram air. I also have a 351w.

It's very possible that SCJ had a similar hood if not exact to what mine came with. That was the first year of a completely new model, the Mach 1. So that car is rolling down the assembly line and how do these guy's know which hood is suppose to go on. Maybe thats the only hood they had in the early days of production or for that particular day.

Steve

I took delivery on my Mach 1 in Oct. 1968. VIN 9R02M119230. It has a cut out in the hood more like the shape of the shaker scoop. All that kept out the rain was a piece of metal at the front of the scoop. I removed that metal piece and just stuck a rag up through the bottom of the hood into the scoop to keep the rain out. I can't put my figures on the window sticker right now to find out the production date. It was built here in California at the Fremont/San Jose plant I believe.

Kingfish (Steve).

I don't know if it's you Steve, but there's a 69 in Cali with a vin very close to mine,

9R02M133461.

IMG_20131224_195107_zpsf38c0745.jpg

I kinda like that home brew ram air.

Bob